Where or When Jr. --Paint & New Tow Vehicle--update 5/17/15

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby myoung » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:56 pm

bdosborn wrote:Mike,

I went through quite a few elcheapo 12v panel meters from eBay before I got the same one you have. It's lasted a couple of years now. You can adjust it by turning a pot on the back so I set it to the same voltage my Fluke meter showed at the battery. You might consider switching it so you can turn it off as it's pretty bright at night.

Bruce

Thanks, Bruce. Good advice. Didn't know that it was adjustable. As for the light, I'll treat it as a night light. The electrical panel is over the porta potti, so I'll have a beacon to follow when nature calls.
:)
Mike Young
build thread: viewtopic.php?t=40459
myoung
500 Club

Postby myoung » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:36 pm

This project is starting to feel a bit like an old-time barn raising. Yesterday, Pricilla, a neighbor who loves to sew, volunteered to cut and stitch my window coverings. I bought lined drapes from Big Lots that she will recut to fit my five windows.

Juan said that he will pick up the trailer on Thursday for painting. I may take three days, one of which has rain in the forecast. Hope this isn't a problem.

In the meantime, I have been filling in the time with small projects that must be done at some time so why not now.

For example, here is a bracket I fabricated to hold the propane bottle in place with screw eyes to attach a 30-inch flat bungee cord.

I used the same idea to tie down the battery with a 20-inch flat bungee cord.

The masonite or MDF door material serves as the base for a nice little shelf for keys, wallet, flashlight, etc. over the electrical panel. You'll also notice a plastic handle above the digital volt meter that I can use to open the panel.
Mike Young
myoung
500 Club

Postby myoung » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:36 pm

This project is starting to feel a bit like an old-time barn raising. Yesterday, Pricilla, a neighbor who loves to sew, volunteered to cut and stitch my window coverings. I bought lined drapes from Big Lots that she will recut to fit my five windows.

Juan said that he will pick up the trailer on Thursday for painting. I may take three days, one of which has rain in the forecast. Hope this isn't a problem.

In the meantime, I have been filling in the time with small projects that must be done at some time so why not now.

For example, here is a bracket I fabricated to hold the propane bottle in place with screw eyes to attach a 30-inch flat bungee cord.

I used the same idea to tie down the battery with a 20-inch flat bungee cord.

The masonite or MDF door material serves as the base for a nice little shelf for keys, wallet, flashlight, etc. over the electrical panel. You'll also notice a plastic handle above the digital volt meter that I can use to open the panel.
Mike Young
myoung
500 Club

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:45 pm

You have quite the cozy trailer there! Looks like you're going to be camping in no time!
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby myoung » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:29 pm

Yeah. Juan has come to paint my trailer. It's a silver grey from ValSpar in a semi-gloss finish. With 5 gallons, Juan was able to give it four coats.

Got some touching up to do and now I see a few places that need some additional filling. Not unexpected.

So, tomorrow I'll begin putting lights, vents, fittings, and maybe even windows in place.
Mike Young
myoung
500 Club

Postby parnold » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:47 pm

:thumbsup:

Looking very nice Mike!
parnold
Donating Member

Postby myoung » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:54 pm

Now that the paint has had a day to dry, I can install the various lights, electrical plugs, and water intake connectors. Also, with the help of Gerald, we were able to install all five windows too.

This is fun. Seeing the pieces all come together to make my concept a reality.

Tomorrow, I hope to trim the door and perhaps the cargo doors. Next, the diamond tread plate trim can be added.
Mike Young
myoung
500 Club

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:11 am

Wow, Mike! It looks like a real camper now! :thumbsup:
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.
1 John 4:9-11

My Teardrop build pictures
Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Postby StandUpGuy » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:26 pm

Awesome job! Nice clean solution on the pop up. I like how it is tucked behind that build up in front for when you are under way. Nice and secure.
StandUpGuy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby myoung » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:56 pm

StandUpGuy wrote:Awesome job! Nice clean solution on the pop up. I like how it is tucked behind that build up in front for when you are under way. Nice and secure.

Thanks. Now that the mechanism is in place, I see that the slot could have been even smaller. It will be easy to add a rubber flap to the top to keep out the rain.
Mike Young
myoung
500 Club

Postby StandUpGuy » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:51 pm

myoung wrote:
StandUpGuy wrote:Awesome job! Nice clean solution on the pop up. I like how it is tucked behind that build up in front for when you are under way. Nice and secure.

Thanks. Now that the mechanism is in place, I see that the slot could have been even smaller. It will be easy to add a rubber flap to the top to keep out the rain.
From the photos it looks like there would be very little pivoting as it extends. Nice solution. Is that a gas assist cylinder or is it automated?
StandUpGuy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby StandUpGuy » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:04 pm

I see in looking again that the lift mechanism is indeed electric. Pretty cool.

I also see you have a grey water tank underneath. Did you run a vent stack up and out? How have you done it as I am building a pop top with a black water tank. I have yet to figure out how exactly I will vent it.
StandUpGuy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby myoung » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:21 pm

StandUpGuy wrote:I see in looking again that the lift mechanism is indeed electric. Pretty cool.

I also see you have a grey water tank underneath. Did you run a vent stack up and out? How have you done it as I am building a pop top with a black water tank. I have yet to figure out how exactly I will vent it.

Actually, this is a grey water tank. Venting isn't or shouldn't be an issue because there is a gap around the sink drain pipe and the inlet grommet in the top of the tank.

The linear actuator can lift 150 pounds but in this case there probably aren't more than 40 pounds at one end. It only takes about 20-30 seconds to extend the full 18 inches. For even more coolness, it could be activated with a remote control switch but I just use the rocker switch manually.
Mike Young
myoung
500 Club

Postby SonofT@B » Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:53 am

Looks awesome! Can't wait to see it all when it's finished. You should be rightfully proud.
Mike and Jackie in Atlanta
T@Bitha (2004 T@B)
Ford Ranger XLT 2003
SonofT@B
Donating Member

Postby myoung » Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:45 pm

Saturday and Sunday were spent fitting trim pieces around the beltline, the bottom edge, the cargo doors, and the entry door.

Look closely and you'll also see a couple of door stops to prevent the entry door from crushing the forwardmost side light.

Tomorrow, I'll fit the last of the trim pieces along the bottom edge. After two days of 96+ degree temps, I couldn't summon the energy to finish today.

The two cargo doors are trimmed with 1-1/2-inch flat aluminum stock to overlap the sidewalls. There is also a keyed lock that needs a little adjustment.

The entry door has the same 1-1/2-inch stock around it. Fitting the pieces around the hinges took quite a lot of fitting, filing, fitting, filing, etc. but I think it was worthwhile.

The front of the trailer will have a full-width 2x8-foot sheet of diamond plate folded around the battery and propane bottle. That should more or less complete the exterior.
Mike Young
myoung
500 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals