...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: #4

Postby bdosborn » Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:35 pm

tony.latham wrote: My goal on the cable glands was a waterproof seal and something low profile. I got half of that done.

Looks pretty clean to me, I'm gonna copy it if I ever build another trailer.... :R

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:46 pm

Looks pretty clean to me, I'm gonna copy it if I ever build another trailer.... :R

That's means a lot coming from you. :thumbsup:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:53 pm

Chased a few rabbits today. They were hopping around the shop and cranked out the business end of the galley.

We keep our coffee, cooking oil and other immediate galley needs behind that two-by-four.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:45 pm

I've been busy bouncing from one detail to the next. But I can see a dim candle-like flicker down the dark teardrop tunnel.

The chassis is ready for the cabin.

Tomorrow I need to make sure I've got enough pvc pipe to roll the beast to the garage door and to slide it onto the chassis --just in case Sunday is the big day.

I need to add the fan trim ring and do the final door install. Glob the hatch seals on. That kinda monkey stuff.

The 8" mattress will be here next week from the Foam Factory. :thumbsup:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby retep » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:52 pm

Oooh 8" mattress.... Look out Hilton. Your build is looking so spectacular. Tony as always so well done.

P

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
retep
Teardrop Master

Postby tony.latham » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:54 pm

Tony as always so well done.

And thanks! :beer:

T
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby KTM_Guy » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:06 pm

campbellinaz wrote:
KTM_Guy wrote:
campbellinaz wrote:Enjoying following your build Tony! I’m currently in the midst of a build and pricing out sheet aluminum in the Phoenix area is crazy expensive! I’m in need of 5x10 sheets which I’m told are only available in .063 and I’m seeing prices just shy of $300/sheet . So I’m looking at “liners” now as they are much less expensive. Although glass/epoxy is far more time consuming it can’t be as expensive as 3-4 sheets at $300 a copy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don’t go to IMS in PHX, I found a place and got .040 5X10 I think was $60 a sheet. Can’t remember the name right now. It was west of downtown.

Todd

Todd, I’m really interested if your able to figure out where you got the aluminum. I’m afraid the tariff saga has changed buying aluminum forever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought from

Coast Aluminum and Architectural
4455 W MAgnolia St
Phoenix, AZ 85043
602-278-5052

They mostly deal with truck load orders but didn't seem to mind my small order.

Another place to check is Davis Scrap just north of Sky Harbor. Some times they will have thin gauge aluminum sheets but mostly 16 gauge and up. Still a fun place to check out. The other week I was looking around in the yard and there was about 10 pieces of 20X20X12 blocks of aluminum. :?

Todd
KTM_Guy
500 Club

Postby KTM_Guy » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:19 pm

tony.latham wrote:Image

Tony

:thinking:
What would possess someone to build an orange teardrop? :?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Have it ready for the first week of October and let's meet in Colorado or northeast Utah. :thumbsup:

Todd
KTM_Guy
500 Club

Postby tony.latham » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:24 pm

What would possess someone to build an orange teardrop? :?

Exactly!

Colorado? Maybe. That's not that far out on the calendar. :shock:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:30 pm

Cranked out a quick diagram for flashlight holders. --Fer, when things go, bump in the night. Twice.

It's the second one that institutes the guttural flight or flight response. :frightened:

:oops:

Tony

p.s. Sketchup sure makes for a quick plan for this kinda stuff.
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Squigie » Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:18 pm

tony.latham wrote:
Cranked out a quick diagram for flashlight holders. --Fer, when things go, bump in the night. Twice.

It's the second one that institutes the guttural flight or flight response. :frightened:

(...)

You never know what's out there.

About 10 years ago, I had my tent trailer stuffed into a tight, secluded spot where my brothers and I hunt elk. We've had a LOT of bear and mountain lion activity in that camp, over the years. (One or both, every year - often more than once.)
One night, I awoke to a large, dark shadow cast on the canvas next to my head, while something rubbed the canvas and there was a metallic banging/thumping rattle a few feet away. Then whatever it was started bumping the trailer. The metallic rattle continued. It sounded like something was messing with a vehicle. Then it started REALLY bumping the trailer.
The bumping and metallic sounds stopped, but heavy snorting / sniffing began.

One of my brothers unholstered his revolver and held it close.

Then, silence.

I mentioned that whatever it was seemed to have stopped and didn't worry me, so another brother poked his head out the door. There didn't appear to be anything wrong or any animals around, so he went back to bed.
I went to sleep.
My brother with the revolver, apparently, spent his night staring nervously at the door and clutching the firearm.

As best we could determine in the morning, it was an elk that had hooked an antler in the mirror frame on my brother's truck, which was parked just a few feet away and perpendicular to the trailer. He probably stopped for a sniff of the trailer (very common there*), moved his head a bit, and then just had to work the antler back out of the mirror. Some scratches resulted from the ungraceful method employed, but that was the only damage.

*In my experience, elk do their best to avoid people most of the time. But in that spot, they'll walk right between vehicles, trailers, and tents that are just a few feet apart; and they nearly always stop for a quick sniff.
Squigie
The 300 Club

Postby tony.latham » Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:19 pm

That's for sure.

We were camped north of you one night in Montana. Wolves had killed a beef calf not too far from our spot. Government trappers set a bunch of leg hold traps. The next morning, they discovered they'd caught the offender. But it was grizzly that was now across the creek from us dragging the damn trap through the willow jungle.

Great. Time to find a different stretch of the creek to fish.

But you never know.

And that's part of the beauty of camping.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:30 pm

Several years ago I built a small shelf that hooked onto our lower shelf and stuck out into the sleeping area. It's handy for lots of stuff.

With this build, I wanted something that would retract and lock in both the nested and protruded configurations.

The hardware is a keyboard slider I found on Amazon. It locks both ways. (14" Keyboard Slide - Heavy Duty Steel Construction)

:thumbsup:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Tom&Shelly » Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:46 pm

tony.latham wrote:

That's for sure.

We were camped north of you one night in Montana. Wolves had killed a beef calf not too far from our spot. Government trappers set a bunch of leg hold traps. The next morning, they discovered they'd caught the offender. But it was grizzly that was now across the creek from us dragging the damn trap through the willow jungle.

Great. Time to find a different stretch of the creek to fish.

But you never know.

And that's part of the beauty of camping.

Tony

Say Tony, the next time you see that guy would you let him know we have his dog?

We saw him playing fetch with the neighbors' children. :frightened:

Tom
Last edited by Tom&Shelly on Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
172912 170466 173366
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby Spotman » Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:48 pm

Nice

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
2018 Heartland Terry Classic V21
2018 Toyota Tundra DC
Spotman
500 Club

PreviousNext