Where or When Jr. --Paint & New Tow Vehicle--update 5/17/15

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:06 pm

Mike,

Did you decide not to add the red or teal?
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby myoung » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:39 pm

S. Heisley wrote:Mike,

Did you decide not to add the red or teal?

Sharon,

I'm going to live with it like this for a while. Perhaps I'll add another color someday. Perhaps I'll add decals. Isn't that the beauty of building your own trailer? You can do just about anything you like.
:D
Mike Young
build thread: viewtopic.php?t=40459
myoung
500 Club

Postby aggie79 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:42 am

Mike,

Your detailing and fitment of your TTT is fantastic! The diamond plate really made it "pop."

Thank you for detailing your build.

Take care, Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:30 am

Love the diamond plate!

Mike, did you use butyl tape, silicone sealer, or what to waterproof the vents and fittings?
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.
1 John 4:9-11

My Teardrop build pictures
Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Postby myoung » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:29 am

Cliffmeister2000 wrote:Love the diamond plate!

Mike, did you use butyl tape, silicone sealer, or what to waterproof the vents and fittings?

I only used tape on the windows. The trim has adhesive caulk too. All the vents and other fittings fit very flush and tight.
Mike Young
myoung
500 Club

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:36 am

myoung wrote:
Cliffmeister2000 wrote:Love the diamond plate!

I only used tape on the windows. The trim has adhesive caulk too. All the vents and other fittings fit very flush and tight.

You might want to test it with a hose. Water doesn't take much room at all to get through.
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.
1 John 4:9-11

My Teardrop build pictures
Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Postby myoung » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:52 am

Water, what's that Cliff? The West is bone dry. Blue skies. High temps. Low humidity. That's why we live here.

I'll do as you suggest one of these days.
Last edited by myoung on Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Young
myoung
500 Club

Postby myoung » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:57 pm

Today, I put the last piece of trim on the street side and added a latch for the tiny door that allows access to the AC/DC switch on the fridge.

So, now it is off to the MVD for inspection and registration. But, first there is one final check of the lights.

Oops. Strange things are happening so it is time to call Gerald for a little circuit sleuthing. For some inexplicable reason, Dodge doesn't follow the conventional arrangement of connections for the 7-pin plug. The right turn signal and the tail lights wires had to be swapped.

Then it was off to MVD only to find that I need to show receipts for the steel and the wood. I'll have to ask HD to dump a list of receipts for the last 90 days.

Nonetheless, here is the trailer hooked up to the Durango. Despite all the added weight on the tongue, it didn't drop much or nearly as much as I had expected.

So, on the way back from MVD, I stopped by HD and picked up a receiver with a 5-1/4-inch drop. Hope that is enough.
Mike Young
myoung
500 Club

Postby myoung » Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:43 pm

This morning Eddie helped me cut and bend a 2x8-foot sheet of aluminum diamond tread plate to form a gravel guard and tongue box. We think it turned out pretty nice. Notice that there are notches to fit over the frame.

There was a question about whether to slope the front of the box or not. Eddie's clincher argument was: "If it is flat, you have a place to put the coffee cup." So, flat it is.

Mike Young
myoung
500 Club

Postby StandUpGuy » Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:49 pm

I am ready for more inside photos!! 8)

I am really enjoying your build.
StandUpGuy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby pete42 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:07 pm

Mike Young said"Oops. Strange things are happening so it is time to call Gerald for a little circuit sleuthing. For some inexplicable reason, Dodge doesn't follow the conventional arrangement of connections for the 7-pin plug. The right turn signal and the tail lights wires had to be swapped."

the Receptacle on the Dodge was not wired like a "normal" 7 pin?
did you correct the Receptacle on the Dodge or the plug on the trailer?
I'm thinking if you changed the plug when and if you ever need to pull your trailer with another truck or car the wiring will be wrong.

just a thought, I have so few anymore.
pete

oh yea very nice build.
pete42
Super Lifetime Member

Postby myoung » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:08 pm

pete42 wrote:Mike Young said"Oops. Strange things are happening so it is time to call Gerald for a little circuit sleuthing. For some inexplicable reason, Dodge doesn't follow the conventional arrangement of connections for the 7-pin plug. The right turn signal and the tail lights wires had to be swapped."

the Receptacle on the Dodge was not wired like a "normal" 7 pin?
did you correct the Receptacle on the Dodge or the plug on the trailer?
I'm thinking if you changed the plug when and if you ever need to pull your trailer with another truck or car the wiring will be wrong.

just a thought, I have so few anymore.
pete

oh yea very nice build.

We just swapped two wires at the trailer junction box. You're right about not changing things at the receptacle on the Dodge because we use it to tow our Airstream trailer, which has all the right pin connections.
Mike Young
myoung
500 Club

Postby myoung » Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:37 pm

I'm putting as many finishing touches as I can this week in anticipation of the maiden voyage, the Route 66 Fun Run, starting Friday.

Yesterday, I picked up a drip guard for over the front door. Not the finest finish or workmanship, but I haven't found anything more suitable.

Here are four interior shots. The countertops have yet to receive the white formica and probably won't until June or so. The strips of diamond plate around the stove are there to try out the plate as a backsplash. I think I will do this up to the break in the front and around the street side for about 20 inches. Other uses of the diamond plate will be to cover the front of the fridge, to create a cover for the tongue box, and to bend into angles strips for the upper edge of the roof and the corners of the trailer.

I still have to create a knob screw to lock the rotating table in various positions. A bungie chord will have to do for a while.

I had to relocate the locking clasp for the arm that extends the rear window because the right side location hits me in the back while sitting at the table. Relocating it to the left side solves the problem.

The door jamb still needs another vertical piece on the forward edge.

With luck, this week will see the framing of the windows and a floor covering.
Mike Young
myoung
500 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:07 pm

Mike, the interior looks nice and very easy-care. I love your windows. :thumbsup: :applause:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby myoung » Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:16 pm

S. Heisley wrote:Mike, the interior looks nice and very easy-care. I love your windows. :thumbsup: :applause:

Sharon, hope you are right about the easy-care.
Mike Young
myoung
500 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals