New tug and new trailer....to be ....

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby jackdaw » Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:07 am

Thanks for the comments,
Sharon I think it's getting easier as time goes on, as the materials are getting used up I seem to have more space. :thumbsup:

Norn I think it's fair to say not many caravans have given birth, so we're not totally sure of the dates :lol: :lol:
I don't want too much of an early delvery incase the weather turns and then I'm scuppered without a workshop. At the same time I would like to have this build ready for our gathering in May.
The plan is to do as much as is sensibly posible brfore the big day, so my best guess would be another month and we should be somewhere handy. :thumbsup:

As it happens I did a bit more yesterday.
I fitted the dividers in the cabinets, finished the shelf, and fitted the 12v management system

Rosie and Jess came out to check the progress, so I tryed the timer on the camera for the first time.

Cheers, Dave
jackdaw
500 Club

Postby BigAl » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:20 am

Hi Dave, I just came upon your thread after an update. I am impressed on multiple levels:

The quality of the workmanship.
The inventiveness of building within a donor caravan.
and, your ability to get so much cool stuff for £20! ;)

I dunno if I missed it, but you are going to use the frame and wheels from the donor caravan, right?
Kind Regards, BigAl.

Build Journal on T&TTT
BigAl
Teardrop Master

Postby Classic Finn » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:03 am

Great craftsmanship Dave. Nice photos as well. :applause: :applause:
Can I borrow your shop after your done? :lol: :lol:
Royal Teardrop Society Scandinavian Bureau Chief of Staff

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby jackdaw » Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:19 am

Cheers fellas :thumbsup:
Al I'm planing on using the frame, but I'm on the lookout for some more slotmags intead of the wheels that came with it.
Heiki I'm afaid there's not going to be alot left 'when I'm done' :lol: This workshop will die as it gives birth :cry: I think it's going to be a rear exit :lol: :lol:

Cheers, Dave.
jackdaw
500 Club

Postby grizz » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:37 am

As mentioned Dave, Legendary.

Love the birthing idea.

I hope one of the girls or you will take a bunch of photos, or a video, and then set it up as a fast slide show to show the birthing in 30 seconds or somethng like that.
Greetings from England.

Rian.

Hoping to get it all done in time.
grizz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby jackdaw » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:58 pm

grizz wrote:As mentioned Dave, Legendary.

Love the birthing idea.

I hope one of the girls or you will take a bunch of photos, or a video, and then set it up as a fast slide show to show the birthing in 30 seconds or somethng like that.

We'll make an occasion out of it for sure Rian 8) May have a couple of midwifes about :lol: :lol:

I've been chipping away at it. I got a little done last Sunday, and made up the cabinet doors today.

On Suday I fitted the divider in the lower galley to separate the grill from the sink. I'm going to have a full depth drawer under the grill, as it worked out great in the first trailer. I've made a cut out in the top so the stainless storage bin will sit behind the hob.
Here you go- I've used biscuits in the join between the divider and the frame.

The battery and charger will live behind the sink, the mains hookup will come in the right hand side as you look at it.

I had a couple of storage bins left over from the first build. Four should fit in nicely.

I'm planning on useing stainless steel on the sides, back and to to cover the gap at the back of the storage bins.

Today was time to make up the cupboard doors . The plan is to have a pair in the middle and then a single door for each of the side cupboards.

I cut out all the frames first. I've allowed about 2mm clearance all around.

I screwed a bit of 2x1 to some mdf, so I could use my buscuit jointer to rebate the slot to accept the ply pannel. Here's an action shot;

The ply I'm using for the pannel is slightly thicker than the blade on the jointer.

I made a second cut, but this time the jointer was sat on a piece of steel , just the right thickness . Of course I could have set the guide on the jointer to the right depth for the second cut , but I didn't.

With the second pass done, the ply is a snug fit.

The frames are good and flush on the corners

I cut the ply for the panels allowing enough to sit in the frame, and then had a dry run to make sure they were the right size , before glueing them up.

I've just got to sort out some artwork for them before fitting.

Cheers Dave
jackdaw
500 Club

Postby parnold » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:41 pm

I'm impressed with the craftsmanship, and can't wait for the birthing pics or video... what a concept!
parnold
Donating Member

Postby jackdaw » Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:45 pm

Cheers Fella , all in good time :D I'm trying not to rush this one. Ive had another afternoon on the build......

The postman delivered some bits for the trailer, I got the vent for the fridge, and a little push switch to activate the water pump.

I thought it would be good to get the fridge fitted... so that was this afternoons job.
The first thing was to mark up where the flue/exhaust for the fridge was going to go.I've allowed enough length so the exhaust should fit centrally above the vent.

The flue was put in place , and marked to be shortened.

Then the cowl went on. Its pressed aluminium, and should polish up nicely

With the exhaust in place, the compartment vent could be cut out and temporarily fitted.

Then the floor behind the fridge could be cut out for the inlet vent.

The vet is actually fitted so the louvers face the back of the compartment....not the way it is in the photo

With the vents fitted, it was time to insulate the compartment to stop unwanted heat in the cabin. I've used some foil covered rock-wool type stuff that was on a hot water cylinder.

I used a few brads to hold it in place

The 12v and 240v wires have been put through the insulation to be connected behind the hob.

I've cut a hole right above the heat exchanger,

The dish sits about 1/4" above the heat exchanger.

The gas pipe will be fitted when the trailer is on the chassis.

Thats another job out of the way, one step closer
jackdaw
500 Club

Postby Classic Finn » Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:28 pm

Very nice Dave.. :applause: :applause: Are the door frames made of pine also such as the framing for the galley?

Ive got some similar in the Sauna storage. :thumbsup:

Such fine work.. :applause: :applause:
Royal Teardrop Society Scandinavian Bureau Chief of Staff

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby jackdaw » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:42 pm

Classic Finn wrote:Very nice Dave.. :applause: :applause: Are the door frames made of pine also such as the framing for the galley?

Ive got some similar in the Sauna storage. :thumbsup:

Such fine work.. :applause: :applause:

Indeed Heikki, It's all pine :thumbsup: but it will be painted a classic cream when its done.
jackdaw
500 Club

Postby jackdaw » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:44 pm

I thought I'd give a quick mid week update ....as it's mid week ... :D

First off here's the deep storage drawer that sits below the grill. I made it up and fitted it on Sunday.

I have a few more doors to make up, to match the drawer front. Including one for the fridge.

I've been busy with the doors for the cupboards this week.
I had to decide what to put on them...... I like the Celtic dogs in the first Grumman.... but that's been done so I've gone for Celtic birds this time.
Here's the design drawn on one of the outside doors;

Then I burnt on the outline with a hot wire (pyrograph)

Then added a bit more detail;

and then a bit more detailing, Here's the finished design;

Then its just a case of doing a mirror image for the opposite door.

Heres the middle doors

and a close up of the design

I've just noticed , looking at the pictures, that I've missed a bit on the left hand bird :lol: :lol:

Cheers, Dave .
jackdaw
500 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:15 pm

Yes, part of the bird's foot and toenail, up top, is missing, I think. When I looked at the first picture, where you drew it, all I saw were 4 fish. But, once you burned in the design, it became evident that they are birds. That's a lot of time and detail to put into something like that. But, that's part of what makes your builds unique. :applause:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby jackdaw » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:09 pm

S. Heisley wrote:Yes, part of the bird's foot and toenail, up top, is missing, I think. When I looked at the first picture, where you drew it, all I saw were 4 fish. But, once you burned in the design, it became evident that they are birds. That's a lot of time and detail to put into something like that. But, that's part of what makes your builds unique. :applause:

Cheers Sharon, Yes it was a case of webbed feet :lol: :lol:

I've been bevering away at the build, and I've spent a fair bit of time jigging things around in the galley,and making up the box drawer for the right hand side. I think it will be better use of space than storing the porta loo. It shoud be accessable with the worktop is in place, or thats the plan anyway.
This weekend I had the plasma cutter out, and made up the splash backs for the lower galley, Rosie undercoated the woodwork, I made up the dreawer fronts for the cabin drawers, and got some more celtic birds burnt into them.

Here's the galley stripped out ready for painting, I've hung the door on the cupboard and hinged the door for the grill.

Heres the the same shot with it all opened up. You can see the consumer unit fitted behind the right hand drawer. It seemed sensible to fit in some where out of the way, but accessable. It was going to be put in one of the cabin cupboards, but the reality is we will hardly ever need to get to it, so tuck away is probably better use of space.

Here the undercoated version, with the splashbacks in place

Heres one of the three drawer fronts

This is how we're looking in the cabin at the moment. I'm planing on having small shelves returning to the doors on either side.

Next jobs on the list have got to be finish painting the galley, wire the 240v cuircuits, and make up and fit the cabin drawers.
jackdaw
500 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:42 pm

Dave:
Those inside cabinets are beautiful as well as unique; and, of course, your galleys are always admirable. :thumbsup:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby jackdaw » Mon May 03, 2010 3:05 pm

I'm so glad we went away last weekend , the weather was perfect :)
Typical bank holiday weather damped the motivation a tad, but it didn't stop play. It just moved it into the hallway. Rosie's very understanding, and we have got stone floors so she should be able to clean up easily . :lol:

I didn't get everything done on the list, but I've finished off the 12v wireing, and covered the back of the cupboard to hide the spaghetti.

I've varnished and hung the cupboard doors.

Fitted a couple of salvaged lights in the galley. They're a little less harsh than the ones in Thypod.

I've run a couple of wires to feed some front marker lights.

The ply is all fitted, hatch and all. It's all had a coat of waterproof stain, and we're about ready for the aluminium that should be arriving on Friday.

One of my mates had some cup handles going spare from a kitchen that he'd ripped out.

They were a little to tall , so I had to grind the top off them, but they are now fitted.

I'm not sure on the positioning of the fridge door handle. It might have to be moved over to the right.

I'm hoping to get the ali done at the weekend, and looking at the birthing the following Friday, so I can get the caravan stripped down and get the trailer mounted over the same weekend.
jackdaw
500 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals