Un-named Travel Trailer Build - 99% Done! April 18

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby planovet » Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:48 pm

That's awesome! :applause:
ImageMark (& Cindi)
Visit our website: Little Swiss Teardrop

I was wondering why the water balloon was getting bigger... and then it hit me.

ImageImageImageImage
planovet
The Cat Man

Postby parnold » Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:35 pm

I had to rest my finger, it got worn out on the scroll wheel!

Excellent work, and first class pictures. Good detailing of each step, will come in useful to those looking for ideas!

:thumbsup:
parnold
Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:03 am

Fromeo:

Your work is so very impressive and absolutely awesome. Frank and Lady Frank, Thank you for sharing it with all of us. :thumbsup: :applause:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby fromeo » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:19 pm

Thank you Mark, Paul, and Sharon!

I do hope that something from my build helps someone out. I have learned a lot and picked up a ton of tricks and tips from the other posts and builds on here.

- Frank
fromeo
Teardrop Master

Postby whtknight » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:00 pm

I'm with everyone else that has commented.... WOW is a simple word, has lots of meaning this. This is coming out great and I'll be watching... I love this build! This is too cool and its what I wanted to do, just didn't have the guts to try something this big first time around... Again.. WOW... :D
whtknight
Teardrop Builder

Postby fromeo » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:44 pm

Unfortunately, the weather is just not being cooperative. Got rained out last weekend, and this weekend was very slow going with the heat. :(

Thursday July 15:

First job of the day was to get the inside floor of the galley overhead paneled. For now it's just sitting in place because I want to ensure we have adequate support for the microwave (should come in this week) before pinning it down:

With that done we were able to install the now finished end cap:

Next we moved onto the bathroom. Tight squeeze in there with 3 guys working and the room only being 2x5 :)

Started the enclosure for the tub:

Prepped the bath cabinet front with the bead trim:

Got the front anchored to the floor and framed out the end panel, then got it skinned:

The small gap between the tub and the bath cabinet will get a filler piece once the plumbing is finished up.

Made up the shelf for the bath cabinet:

Getting the sink drain plumbing roughed in. Also skinned and installed the tub panel:

Finally dropped the tub back into place to see how it's going to look:

That was it for Thursday.

Saturday, July 24:

Worked on the front overhead cabinet. The heat slowed us down a lot, but this cabinet took a lot longer than I had expected.

First, a quick test fit to decide on placement:

Add the upper cleat to secure it to the ceiling:

Hang it in place:

Making up the cabinet floor:

Cabinet floor installed:

We ran wiring through the cabinet floor and installed mounting blocks for the reading lights that will be hanging from under the cabinet. For some reason I forgot to take pictures of that, will get it next time it's opened up.

We spent some time cleaning up and figuring out next steps, then my brother went for a lumber run and I started working on the access door opening for the shore power cord.

Quick frame it out:

Test fit the door:

Then cut out the paneling. Nice view of the rear of the power converter and my brother peering through the drawer opening at the camera:

And that was about it for us Saturday. Really wanted to finish the flooring in the lower galley cabinet and get the refer enclosure done, but the heat took it's toll on us. Hopefully back on it later this week!

- Frank
fromeo
Teardrop Master

Postby fromeo » Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:40 pm

A little more progress to report from the last week and a half.

Picking up where I left off, we had ran some wiring in the front overhead cabinet for a pair of reading lights. They'll be mounted under the cabinet, one on each side back in the corner:

Thursday, July 22:

First my brother made up a floor to support the refrigerator. Simple frame from 1x2:

A couple of block "legs" offer mid span support:

Meanwhile I framed out the opening for the range vent:

With the fridge floor in place we started working on the wall openings for the fridge:

Lower one framed up and cut out. This is the air "intake" which also opens for access to the controls. Tight squeeze in there, you can just squeeze in through the cargo door!:

Then the upper opening, this is the "exhaust" - none of this is fan forced or anything, just natural convection:

Here's how it looks on the inside:

Slide the fridge into the opening for a test fit:

Then we moved onto the galley base cabinet. Needed a "floor" in there as well. Also had to get the galley sink drain plumbing in place which required some clearancing of the floor ply and the back of the cabinet face frame with the dremel and a grinding bit:

A simple partition wall divides in inside and outside storage areas:

We will partition off the other side as well so things aren't falling into the drawers, but that will wait until the drawers themselves are in place.

That was about it for that Thursday. The following Saturday found the weather un-cooperative, so no work that day. During the week I snuck out for a few hours and did a few little jobs - cleaned up and organized some tools, added some support for the microwave, and built the upper portion of the refrigerator enclosure:

That brings us to Friday, July 30:

Since I had built the top of the enclosure, my brother started building the sides. It's a little hard to make out in the pictures, but here they are being screwed into place:

With it all enclosed, we slid the fridge back into place and powered it up for a draft test. We built the enclosure as per Dometic's specs, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to run it for 24 hours and see how it performed.

Here's the rear view showing the controls:

And here's the thermometer readings about 10 hours later. It was ~85F out that day.

Fridge:

Freezer Compartment:

I guess it works ;)

Then we moved inside to knock out some of stuff that needed to be mounted to the wardrobe. I wanted to get this stuff done before the bed was built and installed so we didn't have to be standing on the bed to do this stuff. First we cut a hole in the side for this little MP3 docking station we found in a catalog:

The little door opens up and holds your MP3 Player. Also has a 12V lighter socket and a USB connector on the face for charging:

Then we made up a mounting panel for the radio (and who knows what else in the future). It's made from 1/16" textured ABS plastic sheet with a backing made from scrap paneling for extra stiffness. Ignore the pencil lines, I washed those off later :)

Next we mounted up his swing arm TV mount. I had put bracing in the wardobe side wall to accomodate this when it was built:

And finally mounted boxes for a AC outlet and the antenna connection:

Had a few minutes of daylight left so we installed a couple of electrical boxes. Here you can see the one for the microwave outlet and on the side wall the galley outlet:

This is the bathroom outlet. Since the boxes are shallow (due to wall depth) I'm going to use a surface mount box from Wiremold on top of it to make enough room for a GFCI outlet:

Saturday, July 31:

First I pulled the 12V wiring that's been run so far through the wall and organized it a bit with some insulated clamps. Then I temporarily wired up the power converter and the radio circuit so we could test the converter. Hard to get a picture in there:

We plugged in his iPod and listened to the trailer's radio all day, that was a nice change:

Meanwhile my brother was outside making up the face frames for the bed:

Got those pinned in place:

Then started on the face frame for the side cabinet. This was a royal pain with the angles to meet the front wall:

Once that was finished we moved onto the other bedside cabinet. This one will make a nice end table/night stand plus hide the water heater:

And that was it for daylight, so we disassembled the bed pieces and loaded them into his truck. He should have them finished and back here on Thursday for final installation. Really wanted to get the sliding tray for the bed done, but that will have to wait until next week.

Hoping to get some spare time between now and then to get more wiring done. Should have another update soon.

- Frank
fromeo
Teardrop Master

Postby canned o minimum » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:50 pm

AMAZING !!! I jus read this WHOLE thread...what an ambitious group and how nice to have "family" involved !
Now you got us all HOOKED...can't wait to see the final pics !!

"I" only rebuilt a 2005 Little Guy Teardrop. Reatatched the body to the frame and gutted the interior. No real "building' but reskinned the entire interior and added a shelf at the head and added a bamboo floor.

Yer rig is incredible ! Nice work !! I'm sure you will weigh it when done and can't wait to see the weight. ( no punn intended )
canned o minimum
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Ratkity » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:57 pm

canned o minimum wrote:AMAZING !!! I jus read this WHOLE thread...what an ambitious group and how nice to have "family" involved !

"I" only rebuilt a 2005 Little Guy Teardrop. Reatatched the body to the frame and gutted the interior. No real "building' but reskinned the entire interior and added a shelf at the head and added a bamboo floor.

Yer rig is incredible ! Nice work !! I'm sure you will weigh it when done and can't wait to see the weight. ( no punn intended )

Wait wait.. what do you mean "only"? hehe. Did you give us pictures?!

Frank, you and your family are doing a fabbo job!! I love how easy you make all this look.

Hugs,
Ratkity
Ratkity
Gold Donating Member

Postby canned o minimum » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:15 pm

I'm a "puter" idiot ! Don't know how to post pics...believe me, I'm hopeless on this one, but will have my young nephew SHOW me HOW one a these days !
I'm NO Roly Nelson by any means, but "I" can cut a piece of wood and use a couple a elec. tools.

As a wise man once said...I'm not a complete idiot...sum parts are missin !

BTW...I did TAKE sum pics of my build/remodel cause I knew that sum day I would be ABLE to post em..
canned o minimum
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby doug hodder » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:24 pm

Frank....what a wonderful build...you got all the bells and whistles in this one! Great job and attention to details, very, very well done....What's the plan on the exterior skin? Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby fromeo » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:24 pm

canned o minimum wrote:AMAZING !!! I jus read this WHOLE thread...what an ambitious group and how nice to have "family" involved !

Thanks!

As for weight, trying really hard to come in a bit under 2,000 pounds. Hoping for 2,000 with water on board. I'm debating ordering a scale soon to weigh it where it sits.

Ratkity wrote:Frank, you and your family are doing a fabbo job!! I love how easy you make all this look.

Thanks! It really has not been that difficult, just time consuming.

- Frank
fromeo
Teardrop Master

Postby canned o minimum » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:33 pm

I took my TD to my local green waste recycling site and weighed it on their scale...I'm a tree trimmer and go there a LOT to dump my branches etc.

The guys LOVED to see the VW and a Teardrop on their scale !!!
canned o minimum
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby fromeo » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:45 pm

doug hodder wrote:Frank....what a wonderful build...you got all the bells and whistles in this one! Great job and attention to details, very, very well done....What's the plan on the exterior skin? Doug

Thanks Doug!

Gotta go with aluminum, filon is just too heavy with the required plywood backing.

Still trying to source aluminum affordably. I can order the real deal RV siding, but the best price I got so far is $3.99/linear foot for 12" wide stuff (which is ~10" installed height), then I need to add a crating and shipping charge on top of that. I'm going to call some of the surplus places in Elkhart this week, it may be worth the 10 hour one-way drive.

The way you did your Sierra Nomad is another option, but I need a little more than 12' in length to avoid vertical seams, plus I haven't located anyone yet that can do the scalloping.

The last option is Len's method with the trim break and coil stock. That's the most affordable, so I've been looking around for access to a 12' trim break.

I need to figure out the skin real soon, if I need to make a trip to Elkhart it needs to be in the next couple of weeks.

- Frank
fromeo
Teardrop Master

Postby fromeo » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:15 pm

Did some calling around, and it looks like I will be heading out to Elkhart, Indiana in about a week to pick up the aluminum siding. The price was unbeatable, and the wife and I can use it as an excuse to get out and camp on the way there and back! :)

We did manage to get a little more work done this week, so here's another update.

Friday, August 6

We started off assembling the bed and two side cabinets from the parts we had made last week. My brother took them home with him during the week and got them stained and polyurethaned. Here they are awaiting installation:

The first thing to do was assemble the two bed fronts and the door side cabinet. Once those were together, we attached the bead trim and got them anchored in place to the floor and wall:

Same as all the other cabinets, we used lengths of 1x2 for anchors as shown here:

Then we anchored the last cabinet and built a filler piece to fill the gap between the bed and the cabinet front. Seen here on the left:

We had to build a side for that cabinet. To keep the space under the bed completely open (it will house the water heater and pump plus provide general storage) the side is only above the bed height:

Finally we closed in the door side cabinet. Seen here on the right:

With the basic cabinet structure in place we moved onto creating the sliding bed platform. The idea here is that during the day it will be used as an L-shaped couch. Then at night, the platform will pull out and the cushions will re-arrange into a full size bed. We got about half of it built before we ran out of daylight.

Saturday, August 7

First thing in the morning we finished up the bed platform. Here's a shot of the whole works with the platform in the closed position.:

A close-up of the sliding platform we made:

The slats seen on the far left side will support the cushion assemblies. The cushions will be made with plywood in the base so that they are generally self-supporting. The slats and are left free (no fasteners) so that they can be easily moved to get access to the storage area:

Now here's that platform slid out, creating a full-sized bed:

Recently somebody asked me to try to take a few shots from further back so they could see everything a little better. I guess it's easy to get buried into the task at hand and just focus on pictures of that. So after lunch I tried to get a few overall shots. From the rear, next to the bathroom door, looking forward:

Standing outside, looking into the entrance door:

And finally, from the front (bed) looking rear. I took three pictures to try to show everything:

Lunch break was over and it's back to work we go. With the two cabinets in place that will act as side tables we decided to add outlets above them for convenience:

Next we added blocking made from 1x2 furring strip to the walls inside the cabinet spaces. This will support the countertops. The galley:

The door side front cabinet:

The other front cabinet:

We ran one piece short on furring strip so we couldn't get the bath done. That will have to wait until next time.

Next job was to start making the countertop supports. I want to make the tops as light as possible, but not look thin and flimsy. I decided that a simple structure and thin plywood was the best approach. First we made the frame for the one side table:

And then we moved onto the galley counter, begin with the perimeter structure:

Then add supports for the stovetop, sink, and the open spaces:

The real careful eye may notice the small squares of plywood attached to the underside of the framework in the last picture. Those are just small scraps of 1/8" paneling glued and stapled to the underside. Hopefully they will prevent the frame from racking when we pull it out to skin and laminate it.

Once we finish the frames for the other two cabinets, we will add thin plywood to the top, and add a vertical 1x2 around the perimeter. This will all then be covered in formica. Should give us a "real" countertop look at a small fraction of the weight.

That was it for this weekend!

- Frank
fromeo
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals