SDave's Build

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby sdave209 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:38 pm

:( Teardrop build grinds to a halt. Blew the transmission in my truck today, so my build is on hold for a while. :cry:
There is nothing that I can build that I cannot unbuild. <or> Mistakes will be made, action will be taken.
sdave209
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Facemeltingly Epic » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:32 am

sdave209 wrote::( Teardrop build grinds to a halt. Blew the transmission in my truck today, so my build is on hold for a while. :cry:

Bummer. :(
Scot

My build journal: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=42585

Not enough photos there? Try here:
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... c3e73ca184

Or here:
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... cf567dd7b7

"Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often, and for the same reason." - Mark Twain
Facemeltingly Epic
Teardrop Master

Postby bve » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:43 pm

sdave209 wrote::( Teardrop build grinds to a halt. Blew the transmission in my truck today, so my build is on hold for a while. :cry:

Oh man I know how much that sucks, my Jeep's transmission went on me a few years back, it was painful to the tune of about $3K - part of that was a new clutch install that was a 'mightaswelldoitnow' thing.

You've been making good progress, I envy you with the heated garage to work in.

BTW I went to Mister Transmission on Fort Road, great service.
Burke

KISS > COMPLEX

Build threads converted to PDFs.
As of 2008-08-08 I have added more build threads to the pdf collection
bve
500 Club

Postby sdave209 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:57 pm

Thanks for the sympathy, Burke. My mechanic is going to do the rebuild and upgrade all the parts (forward bearing, converter, shift kit, bands and clutches). I will be lucky if its only $3K. To add to my great week, the window I ordered 3 weeks ago came on Thursday. Guess what? It does not fit. The corners were supposed to be rounded to 3-1/2"rad but they are more like 6"rad. Now I have to see if I can send it back and get the same size with 3-1/2rad corners or if they can make one 31"x38" instead of 30"x36". Oh well, Ive still got plenty to do, just gotta get some doe so I can put my ceiling and roof up. I am working on a forced air candle furnace, if it works out Ill post pics of it.
There is nothing that I can build that I cannot unbuild. <or> Mistakes will be made, action will be taken.
sdave209
Teardrop Advisor

Postby droid_ca » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:11 pm

hmmmm a forced air candle furnace that sounds pretty cool
so are you using the emergency candles?
I love to get nrw and interesting ideas to toy with
There is a world, just beyond now,
where reality runs a razor thin seam between fact and possibility;

Anywhere I roam where I lay my head is home....
“Fide Canem”
Please check out my build thread
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=52816
droid_ca
Donating Member

Postby sdave209 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:35 pm

I guess "forced air furnace" might be over selling it a little. Ya, it uses "9hour candles". Its just an aluminum box with a 1/2" aluminum plate on top and 2 computer heat sinks. That fits into another aluminum box that has 2 80mm computer fans in it and the whole thing has an expanded metal front on it. The candles heat the plate, the heat sinks dissipate the heat and the fans blow it off into the TD. Very simple, hardest part was thinking it up. :thinking:
sdave209
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:45 pm

sdave209 wrote:I guess "forced air furnace" might be over selling it a little. Ya, it uses "9hour candles". Its just an aluminum box with a 1/2" aluminum plate on top and 2 computer heat sinks. That fits into another aluminum box that has 2 80mm computer fans in it and the whole thing has an expanded metal front on it. The candles heat the plate, the heat sinks dissipate the heat and the fans blow it off into the TD. Very simple, hardest part was thinking it up. :thinking:

Interesting. Does it work?
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.
1 John 4:9-11

My Teardrop build pictures
Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Postby droid_ca » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:09 pm

thats so cool I was just talking about doing a Peltier thermoelectric generator on another thread my Iidea is to use a small wood stove and use the electricity that it produces to run a forced air pump through the stove and then use a joule thief to connect to a charge controller and freshen up my batteries
There is a world, just beyond now,
where reality runs a razor thin seam between fact and possibility;

Anywhere I roam where I lay my head is home....
“Fide Canem”
Please check out my build thread
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=52816
droid_ca
Donating Member

Postby sdave209 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:21 pm

Cliff, does it work? Yes. ... No. ... Maybe. It works in theory, it does warm up. It does blow air, but will it be enough to heat the TD to a good temp on chilly nights? I really cant say till I try it. Not trying to be a smarty, Im just not sure yet.

Droid- now that sounds like a project. Ill have to google that so I know what you are talking about. I had to read that post twice.
sdave209
Teardrop Advisor

Postby sdave209 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:49 pm

These are the "9Hour" candles. Three will fit in the furnace, they seem to be "dripless". $2.70/ three from MEC.
These are computer heat sinks, I think they were $9 each.
Two computer fans, 80mm silent. $8 each
sdave209
Teardrop Advisor

Postby sdave209 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:57 pm

This is the first box. It has a 1/2" plate of aluminum on top, under the heat sinks.
Second box.
Fans mounted
Furnace. Just have to finish the front grill and the mounting tabs.
:icedtea:
sdave209
Teardrop Advisor

Postby sdave209 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:03 pm

Wow I must have ordered alot of stuff 4-6 weeks ago, cause alot of stuff arrived from out of town this week. Hinge.
Table support
and door window.

sdave209
Teardrop Advisor

Postby sdave209 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:12 pm

Lite marker set.
And I found this in an old work truck thats on its way to the wrecker, way bigger than I need, but its free.
And some more spar work, Im ready for my ceiling and roof but I just paid $3100 for my transmission today, so that will have to wait
sdave209
Teardrop Advisor

Postby sdave209 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:19 pm

Here is how I fixed my window problem, turns out it was my fault. Im kinda stunned sometimes, I cut my corners at 3-1/2" dia and my window has 3-1/2" rad corners. First of all I should not have cut out the wall until I got the window, and secondly I know the difference between rad and dia, I guess I was not paying attention.
:?
sdave209
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Miriam C. » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:25 pm

:thumbsup: :applause: Not too bad if you can fix it! Your build looks great so far! Mechanics sure seem to get a lot of money for the simplest things... :? Just kidding!
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals