An offroad build - Needs a name.

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby oz97tj » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:52 pm

This weekend was busy!!! Had a bachelor party where we went and helped homeless and then studied the bible... After some recovery time, got a bunch of work done.

I finished the wiring and tested everything and then installed the interior light.

Then started working on installing the switches. Seeing as I have solid walls, I routered out a pocket for the switches.

It wasn't quite deep enough for the wiring and the switches so I needed to create a spacer. A hole was drilled from the door to run the wires. There is a 3 way switch at both doors to control the interior light and there is a patio switch.

Finally got around to the hatch. I'll admit I was a bit nervous. Cutting the walls was stressful. There is no fixing a screw up there. Luckily, it worked out well.

The idea is there is a raised lip that will keep out any water.

Needs a little trimming still, but you can see where the seal will sit.

And this is with the rest of the stringers in. I messed with the latch for a while, but didn't take a photos. It still needs some stuff made to be functional.

Then the roof was skinned.

And finally, got a coat of epoxy on.

Will do a couple more coats of epoxy over the next few days.
oz97tj
Teardrop Builder

Postby oz97tj » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:54 pm

Mixed some fairing filler in with my epoxy to create a putty for filling.

After final sanding and last coat of epoxy.

Frame all painted up. Sawhorses work well as a rotisserie.

Axle back on. Safety chains welded up.

Working on paint. I was going for more of a desert tan color, but I guess the color card looked way darker in the store. It's barely darker than white.

Back on the frame.

I mounted taillights on the back of the frame and routed all the wiring inside the frame. I then pulled the frame to the scales. The frame, minus the sleeper, weighed 480 lbs. I then went and got my plates so I'm all legal now.

Still waiting for my fenders to arrive, and I need to wrap up the hatch, which I'm going back out to work on tonight. Slowly but surely...
oz97tj
Teardrop Builder

Postby oz97tj » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:56 pm

Well, I've returned from a 3500 mile test run. Overall, it did real well. However, I did learn a few things.

1. The mattress I have sucks. Its fine for a short time, but after half a night, it feels like the foam is all compressed and no padding, so I need to do something different there.

2. I had some leaking issues. I was lucky though. On the way down(when we were sleeping in it), I only hit about 20 minutes of light rain while driving. Upon setting up camp that evening, I noticed near both doors the sheets were a bit wet. I figured it must have came in through the doors. That night it rained all night and there were no leaking issues at all though, so it's obviously only an issue while driving.
The big problem was on the way home. We made a 19 hour drive from Florida back to Michigan and it rained most of the way, quite hard at times as well. When I got home at around 2 AM, I was taking a few things out of the camper and noticed the mattress was soaked. I flipped the mattress up and the entire floor was wet. Also, when I flipped the mattress up, a bunch of water was squeezed out and started running out the back passenger side corner (it was parked on a slight hill).
Here is what I think happened. I built the walls to hang down past the floor over the frame rails. It was all tight when I was framing it up. I then took the cabin off the frame and epoxied everything. When we set the cabin back down on the frame, it was a tight fit. The epoxy obviously added too much thickness that I didn't account for so when we persuaded the cabin back onto the frame, it must have seperated the floor / wall seams and this is were my leak is. At least I was lucky enough not to have this issue until I was home and I didn't need to sleep on a wet mattress.

3. I made the sleeping area 80 inches long. This is what a standard queen size mattress is. However, most bed frames allow at least another 6 or so inches room between the head and foot boards. I didn't think of this either. So when sleeping in the tear, with pillows under my head (which pushes me down a bit) my feet are against the back and I can't exactly stretch out. Luckily, I built a small chest that takes up about 6 inches of floor space at the front of the trailer at the head of the bed. I am going to remove this, and now I should have plenty of length to stretch.

Overall, it was a great trip. The camper pulled great. Hardly even noticed it was there. Even in the mountains, sometimes driving a little too aggressively because it was just entertaining, the trailer pulled with no trouble.

Here is a few photos. One of it hooked up to the wifes Edge in the mountains...
And one of just a cool shot from the top of Clingmans Dome.

Now, along with the aforementioned fixes, I need to finish the cabinets inside and the galley area.
oz97tj
Teardrop Builder

WOW

Postby Jeeper92 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:56 am

lOVE THE BUILD, WHERE ARE YOU WITH IT? I have a jeep as well and have built a bunch of trailers and sold them, i currently have a military trailer with a tent on top. Im thinking of going with a weekender type build and have a rooftop tent on top.............
Jeeper92
500 Club

Postby Woodstramp » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:48 pm

oz9,

Other than the leak and matress trouble it looks like you have a winner. Looks good.

Did you build or purchase those doors?
Woodstramp
The 300 Club

Postby campmaster-k » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:53 pm

I too am interested in the doors. Where did you get them?
-Kirk

>TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB

>CEO Coleman Recovery Inc.

>Nor Cal Camping Pinewood Racing Team

Build thread -

viewtopic.php?t=45307&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=180

Check out my Pictures -

http://s1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa4 ... 0QQtppZZ24
campmaster-k
Lifetime member

Re: WOW

Postby oz97tj » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:19 pm

Jeeper92 wrote:lOVE THE BUILD, WHERE ARE YOU WITH IT? I have a jeep as well and have built a bunch of trailers and sold them, i currently have a military trailer with a tent on top. Im thinking of going with a weekender type build and have a rooftop tent on top.............

Thanks. I basically modeled it after the "Long Weekender" on the front page of this site. Works real well and my jeep pulls it just fine.

I too have a M416 and thought about the roof top tent on it as they are just cool, but I ultimately decided against having to do any set up. Not that it's a lot of work, but it limits where you can stop and camp. With the tear, I can pull into basically any parking spot and crawl in and catch a few hours of sleep. The roof top tent doesn't blend in so well.

As for mounting it to the top of the teardrop, it could easily be done. I haven't done it yet, but I plan to make a rack for the top of mine to hold kayaks or whatever may need to be brought along. With the 3/4 solid walls, it should hold up just fine.
oz97tj
Teardrop Builder

Postby oz97tj » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:24 pm

Woodstramp wrote:oz9,

Other than the leak and matress trouble it looks like you have a winner. Looks good.

Did you build or purchase those doors?

campmasterk wrote:I too am interested in the doors. Where did you get them?

I've used it quite a few times and it's great. The mattress hasn't been upgraded yet, but will be next week before another trip. I have had some trouble locating the leak issue though. I thought for sure it was working it's way in through the floor / wall joint, but after resealing the heck out of those seams, I'm still having an issue. I'm wondering if it's not coming in through the doors. I think maybe while driving down the road pressure builds inside the cabin of the teardrop and pushes the doors out enough to allow spray from the road to work its way in. However, sitting still they are water tight. I've gave the ole garden hose test and nothing came in. I haven't had to run in rain in a while thought so I can't really say for sure. I'm thinking leaving my roof vent open a tiny bit though would alleviate the issue. But I need to test it.

As for where I got the doors, I got them from here;
http://teardroptrailerparts.com/Windows___Doors.php

He is sort of local to me and a great guy to deal with. I guess these are the same doors used in Little Guy trailers.
oz97tj
Teardrop Builder

Hows about

Postby Jeeper92 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:58 pm

ya sell me your trailer!!! ??? :)
Jeeper92
500 Club

Re: Hows about

Postby oz97tj » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:04 pm

Jeeper92 wrote:ya sell me your trailer!!! ??? :)

Sure. Where you located? I want to build a standie!
oz97tj
Teardrop Builder

Really?

Postby Jeeper92 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:15 am

pennsylvania............wont be ready to buy till after december............but i definetly be willing to buy it. Looks great. any updated pictures?
Jeeper92
500 Club

Postby Danny » Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:25 am

You should call it the "rock cruncher" or" boulder hopper" :lol:A very nice build..SOLID! :thumbsup:
Danny
The 300 Club

Postby oz97tj » Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:12 pm

Jeeper92 wrote:pennsylvania............wont be ready to buy till after december............but i definetly be willing to buy it. Looks great. any updated pictures?

No not really. It's been out quite a few times and works real well. Still haven't really finished it though. lol. I need to do that. Haven't had it on any really tough trails either yet, but it does pull real well down the back roads and two tracks. I'll hook it up and take it wheeling and get some good photos here soon after I get my new jeep (I'm picking it up tomorrow).

On top of finishing it, I'd like to recoat the sides as the wood grain shows through more than I'd like. I'm thinking about doing a skim coat of filler to smooth is all out and then re-coating it with epoxy and repainting it. I'll have to repaint it again after I sort out the galley anyway so might just as well make it look nicer in the process.

Honestly, I'm on the fence about selling it. Part of me wants to because I want to build a standie, but part of me wants both the standie and this one. lol. If you are truly interested, just shoot me a pm on here when you're ready and we'll talk. It wouldn't take much to sway me into selling it. :D

Danny wrote:You should call it the "rock cruncher" or" boulder hopper" :lol:A very nice build..SOLID! :thumbsup:

I had intentions of naming it, but then it just kind of dwindled. I get enough people calling it "cute" that I don't really want to give them any more reason to say that. lol
oz97tj
Teardrop Builder

Will do

Postby Jeeper92 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:30 am

Dont need a real off road reliable trailer jsut want something that matches the jeep i have, (congrats gy the way) I will be looking to purchase in the winter sometime............Im a teacher adn I am off for 12 days so could be a day to drive adn pick it up. Let me know
Jeeper92
500 Club

Re: Will do

Postby oz97tj » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:33 pm

Jeeper92 wrote:Dont need a real off road reliable trailer jsut want something that matches the jeep i have, (congrats gy the way) I will be looking to purchase in the winter sometime............Im a teacher adn I am off for 12 days so could be a day to drive adn pick it up. Let me know

Yeah, we should talk more when it gets closer.
oz97tj
Teardrop Builder

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals