Theresa's 4 x 8 Ginger Gypsy Build

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Theresa's 4 x 8 Ginger Gypsy Build

Postby KCStudly » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:31 pm

Digging the crutches and stove. Nice scores! :thumbsup:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Woodbutcher » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:36 am

Nice finds Theresa! You make me proud :lol: That is a very clean stove!
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby catleppert » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:20 pm

Haven't posted in a while - we were camping at Thomson Causeway last week with our Tears by the River buddies! First of all, have to show off a pic of a gift from our good friends Glenn and Opal (Thanks - I love it!)

Made a ton of progress this weekend! Bulkhead is in:

Ceiling is test fit - those cleats are temporary:

Galley countertop stained/poly'd. Will trim with a strip of wood that is painted black:

And galley back wall is painted - love the orange!

All in all a very productive weekend! A friend is going to check some salvage places in Elkhart for some parts we need, hoping and keeping fingers crossed that he finds everything on my list for a good price.....
Last edited by catleppert on Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
catleppert
Teardrop Master

Postby Junkboy999 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:43 pm

Interesting ceiling. Coming along nicely.
Junkboy999
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:19 pm

Interesting combination of materials and colors, too! :thumbsup:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby catleppert » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:24 pm

Hello there! It's been a while since I posted - we made some really great progress this weekend....

NEW GOAL: New goal is maiden voyage at our final fall camping trip with the LOL chapter at Lowden park. Chuck says we can make it, and after today I think we might be able to make it!

Interior ceiling is fully and permanently installed:

Rear framework fully installed, but not permanently yet - awaiting linoleum to install on floor, so won't do final install of back framing til that is done...

Here is what the hinges for the back doors will look like....

Here I am cutting insulation to fit between spars. Nasty nasty stuff. You can see my precision cutting tool there in the middle (i.e. an old steak knife.)

And last but not least - we hooked it up to my Jeep and pulled it around the block to see how it tows. Please note that in this picture, we used a 4-inch drop cuz that's which one had the right size ball. We will change it out to a 2-inch drop before I tow it next time.

See you all soon!
Last edited by catleppert on Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
catleppert
Teardrop Master

Postby KCStudly » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:11 pm

Coming along nicely. :thumbsup:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Woodbutcher » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:20 pm

Lookin good guys! I think you can finish. Besides finished for you guys is slightly different then finished for others. :lol: (It's a funny story)
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby catleppert » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:05 pm

Thanks, KCStudly! :)

Woodbutcher, LOL, I should not say finished, must say campable!

Poor Chuck hasn't spent any time finishing the Benroy cuz he's spending every waking minute on the Gypsy.....
catleppert
Teardrop Master

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:17 pm

Lookin' Good! Keep a goin'! :thumbsup: :)
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby catleppert » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:57 pm

Made some more progress this evening! Got the linoleum installed in the galley and the curtains hung. Hubby got the metal trim pieces cut to size for both floor and I am also going to put one on the edge of the countertop. Plan to spray paint the trim pieces black.

This was my first time working with linoleum, it was kinda fun! Here are pics that show both floor and curtains....

And hubby got the vent opening cut out too....

Sadly, no more progress til next week most likely. Getting ready tmrw night for an early departure Thu morning to Camp Inn Camp Outt...
Last edited by catleppert on Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
catleppert
Teardrop Master

Postby Woodbutcher » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:47 pm

Lookin good guys....see ya in a few days!
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby working on it » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:38 pm

catleppert wrote:Here is what the hinges for the back doors will look like....
[/b]
[url=http://s1345.photobucket.com/user/catleppert1/media/null_zpsecce8ce1.jpg.html]Image

I used the same hinges as you have (except, in black), and though they are very strong, and have nylon bearings, they can sag with a lot of weight on them. I initially mounted my hatch with two hinges (hanging down, not as you plan), and it sat for months, unsecured, with only one side firmly bolted up (my oversight). It developed a definite sag on one side, so I took the overstessed hinge, mounted it in the middle (now the third hinge), and put a fresh one in its' place. Since I didn't want ant sag in my small doors, either, and since it would make the door more warp-resistant, I used three hinges there also. what I'm getting at is this: eventually the door will sag at the left as you close it, unless you use several hinges to bear the weight. And even then, a metal guide plate to help the door "home" will help in closing/sealing the hatch (large windows on some trucks use guide plates to "home" the window into its' channel).
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby catleppert » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:21 pm

Thanks, Workin On It, for the advice. Luckily, since I'm doing two doors opening barn door style, they really aren't that heavy - but we are planning some sort of plate as a guide as you discussed.

PROGRESS THE LAST WEEK has been a bummer. Almost nil. We went to Camp Inn/Outt last weekend, so we lost 4 days there (more if you count the prep time too) and I have spend some time today trying to track down my hardware order from back on 9/24. Apparently, our order was never processed and sent out. So I am sure it will be next week before we even get the hardware and the fantastic fan.

On top of that, both hubby and I have been working 10-hr days, him 6 days a week, so it is unlikely that I will make my deadline and have my camper done in time for my Sisters on the Fly trip October 17th. and that's okay. I am mentally resigned to that. And since we aren't under a time crunch, I can spend the proper amount of time necessary to finish this thing right.

Still going to get as much done this weekend as possible, considering Chuck and I both have to work on Saturday - and that we are camping the weekend of the 10th and I am doing the Sister thing the following weekend. I will just take the other camper. or maybe my tent. I dunno, haven't decided yet!
catleppert
Teardrop Master

Question about venting battery

Postby catleppert » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:30 pm

Why HELLO THERE! I haven't been on the forum for a few weeks - two camping weekends and then playing catchup at work after being gone two weekends in a row - one of them a 4-day weekend at my Sisters On The Fly outing!

Chuck is working on the electrical - and hoping that someone on here can answer his question regarding venting of the battery. Here are some pics of the battery placement under the galley counter in a battery box - is this adequate venting, or do we need to put a hole in the box and the side of the camper to vent it outside?

PIC SHOWING SETUP WITHOUT BATTERY IN PLACE

WITH BATTERY IN PLACE

catleppert
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals