Pikes Peak Woody Build

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Pikes Peak Woody Build

Postby badschnauzer » Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:15 am

JmsCaverly wrote:Your interior looks fantastic. Was it difficult to bend the planks around the radius? I have to admit I'm a bit jealous. Good work keep it up!

Thanks. I didn't bend the planks. My attempts to cut kerfs on the back and bend them met with failure. My alternate was to shave off some of the tongue on each plank so there would be some give in the corresponding groove as I progressed around the 19" radius. Easily done and I like the profile.
Posted by: BadSchnauzer
Colorado Springs, CO

See my Pikes Peak Woody Build
Image Image Image
badschnauzer
Teardrop Builder

Re: Pikes Peak Woody Build - Outer Sheets Attached

Postby badschnauzer » Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:19 am

Major milestone completed today; the exterior plywood sheets are now permanently attached. The wiring is now permanently ensconced inside the wall sandwich (1/4" ply - 3/4" blocking - 1/4" ply) and I'm through with adding any "just in case" blocking. I applied the first coat of poly 2 days ago. It was a bit gusty but I figured I could spray OK between gusts. I managed to apply the Gloss Spar Urethane (oil based) with no issue but when I set the sheet aside to dry, the wind kicked dust and debris into the wet poly and royally screwed it all up. :x I set the sheets inside the garage, let them dry and lightly sanded them next morning. Yesterday was less windy so I was able to get three more coats of poly on before letting it dry overnight. It looks great! Nice depth with a smooth, glossy feel. The HVLP sprayer from HF works like a champ - easy set-up (slightly diluted poly with mineral spirits), consistent application, and easy clean-up. Balls deluxe.

These pix show my spraying station and the final product drying in the sunshine. The blue tape kept poly off the areas where the PMF will overlay the edge.

139539 139540

I permanently attached the outside sheets this afternoon. Applied PL Premium to all the blocking, screwed the perimeter (will be covered by wood trim) and placed clamping cauls to hold down the field. I also ran my trailer 7-wire and battery wire through some 1" PVC conduit from my galley junction box to the front of the TD. My TD battery box will be housed on the trailer tongue to even out the weight distribution. Finished up some trailer marker wiring before calling it a day.

139542 139541 139543

Overall, I'm happy with the progress. Good weather has helped immensely. Next steps are prepping for sheathing the roof, build doors, and construct the hatch.

QUESTION: I want to shave 1/4" off my sides in the hatch area to better fit the gasket material. Whats the best way of doing that? Belt sander? Router (how)? Thanks!
Colorado Springs, CO

Image Image Image
badschnauzer
Teardrop Builder

Postby KCStudly » Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:05 am

Progress looks great!

The best way to trim the galley wall edges and still maintain your profile would be to use a rabbeting bit and cut about half the thickness of the wall, then come back with a top bearing bit (with the bearing rolling on the rabbet cut) to take the other half of the wall thickness. You might want to do this in two or three passes rather than one big cut.

Tom (aggie79) demonstrates the technique in his Silver Beatle build thread here.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby badschnauzer » Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:43 am

KCStudly wrote:Progress looks great!

The best way to trim the galley wall edges and still maintain your profile would be to use a rabbeting bit and cut about half the thickness of the wall, then come back with a top bearing bit (with the bearing rolling on the rabbet cut) to take the other half of the wall thickness. You might want to do this in two or three passes rather than one big cut.

Tom (aggie79) demonstrates the technique in his Silver Beatle build thread here.

Perfect! Just what I was looking for. Flush trim bit ordered and will be here Tuesday.

BTW, I used one of your pro tips today: hotel card key as a PL notch trowel. Worked like a champ. Thanks, KC.

Colorado Springs, CO

Image Image Image
badschnauzer
Teardrop Builder

Postby KCStudly » Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:23 am

No problem, I'm sure I "borrowed" that from someone else.

So you already have a rabbeting bit with various roller bearing diameters?
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby badschnauzer » Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:30 pm

KCStudly wrote:So you already have a rabbeting bit with various roller bearing diameters?

Doh! I meant to write rabbeting bit (with multiple bearings). I already own a flush trim bit. It was getting late...
Colorado Springs, CO

Image Image Image
badschnauzer
Teardrop Builder

Postby KCStudly » Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:43 pm

Just watching your back, dude. :D
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Re: Pikes Peak Woody Build - Outer Skin Applied

Postby badschnauzer » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:02 pm

Double Post - deleted.
Last edited by badschnauzer on Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Colorado Springs, CO

Image Image Image
badschnauzer
Teardrop Builder

Re: Pikes Peak Woody Build - Outer Skin Applied

Postby badschnauzer » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:05 pm

Busy days applying the outer skin. 4' X 8' sheets of 1/8" luan glued with PL Premium and stapled with crown staples. I started with the front flat section; easy peasy. Took a few staple shots to get the right compressor pressure. Too high and they'd blow right through the luan; too low and it's hammer time (don't stop!). I was woefully unprepared for the curve. I glued up the 4' section encompassing the front 17" radius curve and popped a few staples into the leading edge. Once I started to make the turn. those staples blew out the luan. Oh no. :shock: Running around like a one-armed paper hanger, I managed to screw a few blocks onto the leading edge, find my cinch straps, collect a few 2X4 cauls and start working the luan around the curve. Much cursing, cinching and stapling later, I managed to get it down within the PL's working time. Everything is holding after removing the straps and it looks good. :worship:

139619 139623 139620 139621 139622

QUESTION: What do I use to fille the seams and staple holes? Regular speckle or is there some other preferred joint/fill compound. I'll be applying PMF with TB II if that matters.

Tomorrow I start the hatch. Yippee!
Colorado Springs, CO

Image Image Image
badschnauzer
Teardrop Builder

Postby ELM » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:28 am

looking great. When I'm working with wood that I'm going to paint or cover I use auto body filler AKA Bondo it sticks to the wood great and is easy to work with. There's my 2 cents. Keep up the good work.
My Build journal. viewtopic.php?f=50&t=65395
ELM
Teardrop Master

Postby badschnauzer » Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:33 pm

ELM wrote:looking great. When I'm working with wood that I'm going to paint or cover I use auto body filler AKA Bondo it sticks to the wood great and is easy to work with. There's my 2 cents. Keep up the good work.

ELM, I've read that TB II does not adhere well to Bondo. That would make gluing the canvas on the luan difficult. True?
Colorado Springs, CO

Image Image Image
badschnauzer
Teardrop Builder

Postby ELM » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:45 pm

badschnauzer wrote:
ELM wrote:looking great. When I'm working with wood that I'm going to paint or cover I use auto body filler AKA Bondo it sticks to the wood great and is easy to work with. There's my 2 cents. Keep up the good work.

ELM, I've read that TB II does not adhere well to Bondo. That would make gluing the canvas on the luan difficult. True?

I haven't heard that. Sounds like it would worth testing some first. I have bondo and TB II and III. When I get back home I will test it and see what happens. I'm at Yosemite for a few days. :D
My Build journal. viewtopic.php?f=50&t=65395
ELM
Teardrop Master

Postby badschnauzer » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:16 pm

ELM wrote:
badschnauzer wrote:

I haven't heard that. Sounds like it would worth testing some first. I have bondo and TB II and III. When I get back home I will test it and see what happens. I'm at Yosemite for a few days. :D

ELM, I tested regular wall spackle on the luan and checked to see if the TB II will stick. No issues. It's super easy to work with and dries in no time. Most of my seams are tight anyway so there's not a lot of filling required. I'd still be curious to hear what you discover about the bondo.

Enjoy Yosemite!
Colorado Springs, CO

Image Image Image
badschnauzer
Teardrop Builder

Re: Pikes Peak Woody Build - Hatch Start

Postby badschnauzer » Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:02 pm

Another beautiful couple of days and more progress. I prepped the TD for the canvas covering. Filled all the staple holes and gaps with regular wall spackle. Sanded them smooth and went over the entire TD with a moist sponge. I then draped my 7 yards of canvas over the top/front of the TD and cut it to size with about 12 inches extra length. The duck cloth is from Big Duck Canvas; I ordered the #12/72 "Plied Yarn" which has a tighter weave which makes it stiffer and more durable. It looks great. I haven't glued it to the TD yet so I can't comment on that aspect. I hosed it down on the patio to pre-shrink it. The water beaded up at first until I worked it in with hose pressure and running my hand over it. Rolled it up and it's ready to go.

139710 139713 139714

Started on the hatch while the canvas dried. Used a rabbeting bit and a flush cut bit to take 1/2" off the galley wall profile. What a mess. I made 4, 1/8" passes to achieve that depth (4 rabbets, 4 flush cuts per side). There was some awkward positioning of the router as I had to cut against the rotating bit. That's a total of 16 chances to screw up my walls. It came out well with only a minor nick in a inconspicuous location. The garage was covered in dust/shavings - I wish I had done it in the driveway. Afterwards, I cut some hatch ribs using my original hardboard template, rough installed the hurricane hinge and made preparations for the hatch build.

139715 139707 139708 139709 139716 139717

The galley storage covers are also partially completed. I made them up as cutting boards but they also act as covers for the reach down storage. Still need to be sanded and oiled. Finishing the boards and drawer faces are all that's left to do in the galley (sans hatch). Sweet! :D

139705 139706 139711 139712

With the nice weather, I'm leaving the garage door open while I work. The neighbors are getting curious and they're taking more walks than usual up/down the alleyway. I invite them and show them what I'm building. I've met 2 neighbors I hadn't know previously. Good fun. :thumbsup:
Colorado Springs, CO

Image Image Image
badschnauzer
Teardrop Builder

Postby KCStudly » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:42 am

Great work! Those cutting/drop in boards look awesome! Can't wait to see them with some mineral oil on them. :twisted:
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals