My Shasta Miniflyte build

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby xddorox » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:26 pm

The weather finally let up for more than 3 days so I got to work a lot in the past couple of weeks.

First I got to insulate and skin the exterior front and roof.

That little curve on the front roof was a pain. I had to wet that plywood like it was under a monsoon! It finally fitted but with a few kinks.

Next fiberglass resin. I was just going to lay it down straight on the wood but a buddy suggested an old East European trick and use some newspaper for added strength. It worked but the finish is a bit rough.

I had time to sand it down and fix a few boo-boos with putty just before the Sun went bye bye this evening and put out some lights to lay down the first coat of white Tremclad. That picture will come tomorrow.

Now on to the doors and other knick knacks

Gerry :)
xddorox
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:18 am

That looks pretty cool with the newspapers! :thumbsup:
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.
1 John 4:9-11

My Teardrop build pictures
Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Postby jkidd6339 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:31 am

I can just imagine waking up in the morning and having 4 or 5 people standing around the trailer drinking coffee and reading the paper. Good work.
jkidd6339
Teardrop Master

Postby xddorox » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:22 pm

Well no more reading the paper, it got it's first coat of white yesterday and I managed to make one of the doors today. Newspaper really did a number on the overall look. I'll be trying rice paper (Gift stuffing paper actually) for the doors since it is more porous, should do a better job at an even surface. Live and learn. :)

xddorox
Teardrop Advisor

Postby synaps3 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:06 pm

Looks good. You're almost there. :thumbsup:

I've never seen the paper trick before, that's pretty cool.
-- Dave

Build log: here
synaps3
The 300 Club

Postby xddorox » Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:06 pm

Three day week end with Canada Day on Friday was looking good except for storms all day Sunday. I got to work real hard and ended up with an extra day. No storms today until 1 hour ago, bonus!

Laid some Tremclad paint on the hatch and doors(4 coats). Installed the counter top, finished the front window and got one door completely done. It's amazing how much stuff goes into a door. You need to build one from scratch to realize that.

For the first time, she sat outside without a tarp. I left the easy up tent over her because the roof vent is not installed yet and a big hole is there. What was exposed survived a torrential rain fall without a drop in the cabin or kitchen.

Me happy. :)

I kept some moldings from my 60 year old house after renovations. You don't see molding 10 foot long anymore from one piece of wood, no way I was going to throw that out. I used some to make the door-jam in the cabin. So now everywhere we go, we bring a little piece of home with us.

Kitchen still needs a lot of work

xddorox
Teardrop Advisor

Postby xddorox » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:26 pm

Almost done and 2 weeks to go until vacation time. That darn newspaper resin thing was a bust. I had to fix a bunch of rough spots and it still looks like crap. I guess I'll have to bite the bullet at some point and sand the whole thing down with a belt sander and redo the paint. Maybe next year. Until now here's where I am. I had no idea of how much stuff goes into building one of these. Any other project will be a cake walk after I'm done with this.

xddorox
Teardrop Advisor

Postby parnold » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:53 pm

I like the red and white paint scheme!

I feel your pain with the roughness of the exterior. I too am not happy with the exterior of mine. Some of my screws didn't countersink enough, and I thought covering them with some filler would help... NOT!

My next build, I'll get it right. :lol:
parnold
Donating Member

Postby xddorox » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:18 pm

Trust me on this Paul, unless I ever get myself a garage, this my first and last build ever. :)
xddorox
Teardrop Advisor

Postby droid_ca » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:34 pm

I think you did a great job :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:
There is a world, just beyond now,
where reality runs a razor thin seam between fact and possibility;

Anywhere I roam where I lay my head is home....
“Fide Canem”
Please check out my build thread
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=52816
droid_ca
Donating Member

Postby bdosborn » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:18 pm

xddorox wrote:Trust me on this Paul, unless I ever get myself a garage, this my first and last build ever. :)

Yeah I said the same thing after my first build. ;)

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby parnold » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:23 pm

xddorox wrote:Trust me on this Paul, unless I ever get myself a garage, this my first and last build ever. :)

I did mine in my gravel driveway, and will be doing #2 in the driveway also. I've been watching craigslist every day looking for a cheap trailer. Every one that comes along though sells before I get to it. Next cheap one I see, I'm walking out of work and telling them I have a family emergency.
parnold
Donating Member

Postby WhitneyK » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:36 am

parnold wrote:
and will be doing #2 in the driveway also

Gosh Paul, don't ya'll have indoor plumbin' in New Jersey yet? :lol:

...sorry sir.
Whitney & Tracie
Crothersville, IN

We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

Do not confuse what you hear with what I mean.

My build: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41955

160061-------------------------------101114
States we've drug our
li'l camper through. (44 States + Vancouver Island and over 45,000 miles so far)
WhitneyK
Gold Donating Member

Postby Time Out » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:53 am

Hi Jerry,

I was really excited when I saw the first picture of your trailer with the newspaper freshly applied! I personally loved that look! It reminded me of all the travel stickers pasted on luggage. I was hoping you had a way of keeping that as the final finish :)

OK, perhaps I have a weird sense of style! Anyway, your final paint scheme looks great too. Nice build - I'm jealous!!

Clyde in California
I wanna hang a map of the world in my house. Then I'm gonna put pins into all the locations that I've traveled to. But first, I'm gonna have to travel to the top two corners of the map so it won't fall down.
Time Out
Teardrop Builder

Postby xddorox » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:11 pm

The Misses is too neat and tidy for me to have kept the newspaper look. It would have driven her crazy. I'll probably put a belt sander to it next Spring and redo the paint job since the surface is so rough. No time for such luxuries now however.

Thanks for the comments guys. :)
xddorox
Teardrop Advisor

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals