"Fred Sanford" build

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby Woodstramp » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:33 pm

Thanks....bookmarked.
Woodstramp
The 300 Club

Postby Deryk the Pirate » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:25 pm

Well CD I think I like your install best...vented and easly to make.

Thanks
Deryk
Build Thread lil vardo 1: http://tinyurl.com/baqe6py
Build Thread lil vardo 2: http://tinyurl.com/b3rwffm
Deryk the Pirate
500 Club

Postby Woodstramp » Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:10 pm

Well, got to dig back into the project. My eldest daughter's wedding was last week. That, naturally, stopped momentum on the TTT. Got to fiddle with it today after my other chores were put to bed (yard/car grooming)

All I had time for was working on the AC unit. Did some finish ducting. Thought I'd post for those who might be curious. Casey's method will be used on my next one, but I went ahead with my original idea for this one.

.Here's the intake....it's a dryer exhaust cover from Home Depot.

Here's the condensate pan drain pipe.

Finished exhaust ducting that diverts hot air through the floor and away from the camper.

I'm going to run the AC all night to check for condensate leaks. In the first 30 minutes the little AC cooled the TTT off enough for me to get a chill. Gonna be nice for summer camping.
Woodstramp
The 300 Club

Postby Woodstramp » Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:31 pm

Got to thinking about these AC units. Most of us TD home enginers have been using your typical 5000 BTU ($100) deals.

5K BTU is way overkill for these little campers. I believe one that was only 1500 BTU would do the trick on your typical TD. Would be nice if some manufacturer could make an even smaller (physically) 2k BTU unit for less than $100.

A unit like that would also be ideal for PU/camper top camping (which I have done in the past).
Woodstramp
The 300 Club

Postby Woodstramp » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:43 pm

Got up this morning to check for leaks. Camper was cold inside and the floor was bone dry. Groovy.

Jasper, our big outside dog, was layed up in there with his sorry self enjoying the AC when stuck my head through the door flap. Gotta get a door on this thing. :)
Woodstramp
The 300 Club

Postby Deryk the Pirate » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:08 pm

Nice! Did you add screens so critters cant crawl up into the ac unit?
Build Thread lil vardo 1: http://tinyurl.com/baqe6py
Build Thread lil vardo 2: http://tinyurl.com/b3rwffm
Deryk the Pirate
500 Club

Postby Woodstramp » Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:51 am

Deryk,

The "dryer" deal I'm using for the intake has a plastic screen in it already. The exhaust duct still needs a screen and a "driving down the road, keeps the rain water from splashing up in the hole as I'm towing/shoots the air away from the camper when I'm parked" deflector. :) Prolly build that this week.
Woodstramp
The 300 Club

Postby CliffinGA » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:05 pm

Hey bud any updates?

Cliff
In God we trust, shoot the rest and he will sort out!

My Build:

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=42628
CliffinGA
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Woodstramp » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:20 am

Been pecking at it a bit. Just haven't taken time to take/post pics.
Woodstramp
The 300 Club

Postby kinto » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:55 pm

Woodstramp wrote:Well, this should be called "Woodstramp learnes how to post pics on the internet" instead of the "Fred Sanford" :)

:lol: HAHAHAHA :lol:
Is a hippopotamus just a really cool opotamus?

imay ildbay urnaljay

kinto
Gold Donating Member

Postby Woodstramp » Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:53 am

Gonna actually take (The Camper, Formerly Known As, Fred Sanford) the "Coach of Many Colors" out on it's first short run camp out this weekend up in the Talladega National Forest. Nice NF campground there at Coleman Lake. (electric/water hookups/bath houses) we found last year.

The Coach is not really finished...still has the temporary door (that keeps he big dog out---final door is still in the works), the edge trim is kind of finished (but does shed water), interior is not near finished, the AC is THE BOMB (and will save us on this hot weekend), fenders still not made (duct taped gaps to keep bugs out there), still haven't found a new pop up canopy to replace the one the wind trashed (Wallyworld tarp for now). The rig is tagged and road worthy. Got to get out and try it (tired of working on it.....need some camp time off). :lol:

Hope I don't pop a tire....still haven't procured a spare yet. :roll: Hope Smokey Bear is too busy looking at the wierd little camper to notice that I still don't have the side marker lights mounted. 8)

Will post some pics and obsevations when we get back.
Woodstramp
The 300 Club

Postby CliffinGA » Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:40 am

Chuck ya'll enjoy your COMC and have a great weekend. As Bob Henry says on here "They are never finished". So go and enjoy it. Nothing wrong with the tarp especially when it does what your using it for.

Cliff
In God we trust, shoot the rest and he will sort out!

My Build:

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=42628
CliffinGA
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Woodstramp » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:37 pm

Ddi enjoy it Cliff. Had a good time eveb though it was only a one day campout. Set up was a ton faster than with a tent. Plus having a climate controlled "tent" is going to add to our camping time in the future. We opted to go to Tannehill State park, instead of Colman lake at the last minute.

(for some reason I can't post all the pics in one post, so I'm breaking it up)
Woodstramp
The 300 Club

Postby Woodstramp » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:39 pm

The thing pulled like a dream...no sway, even at 70MPH. Only one thing bugged me. Need a tad more room over the tire....a few big bumps and the tire actually scrubbed a tad. I've tried to keep this thing low for my wife, but I'll make some spacer inserts and jack it up a tad.

Met some really nice folks. I even think I turned on a couple of folks to this fine website. One fellow was already aware of Mikenchell.com and has been scrounging parts for his own TD. Another fellow next to us had never heard of the site, but he was already hip-deep in a cargo trailer conversion. I saw the AC sticking out of his trailer and had to strike up a conversation. THe thing was awesome on the inside. Looked plane-jane on the outside, but inside it was a Harley Davidson flavored apartment. Air bed in middle was deflated and he parks his hog there when travelling. Creative fellow. I gave him the web address because we have a cargo trailer section here. Maybe we'll hear from him. He also built this cool mini grill. Got to make one of these later.

Last edited by Woodstramp on Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Woodstramp
The 300 Club

Postby Woodstramp » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:41 pm

Also, a thing I found nice and kind of strange is how much attention these little TD/TTT campers draw. We only camped for one day and I bet 10 people came by and asked about it. Not counting gawkers. :) My daughter told me that some folks from Tearjerkers came by while I was napping. (sorry I missed you if you read this)

Was a really nice one day trial voyage. Hope I can put a bunch of miles on the little booger.

The cheapo Walmart tarp also worked fairly well. It yeilded more shade than the Easy Up deal that was destroyed a while back. Went up fast and I might be able to rig it for a downpour with some future tweeks.
Woodstramp
The 300 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals