Silver Beatle - She's now with an old friend!

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: SB - First "complete" outing - 11/3 update, p. 46

Postby aggie79 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:47 pm

crazytrain wrote:Hello Tom, I took some time to read your entire build after seeing a link on another forum board. I was so impressed that I had to sign up to tell you that you have done an amazing job. Congrats on a fabulous build. :applause: :thumbsup:

Thanks crazytrain,

Thanks to the multitudes that preceded me and that posted pictures of their builds, I had a great time building my teardrop. My only regret is that I wish I had more time to camp.

Take care,
Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby gypsymoon » Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:42 pm

loved your build journal. while i want to build a woodie i love a lot of your details :D especially the "ebonized" cabinets. wonder how that technique would look as accents on the outside? you have also decided for me how to install ac. your treasure box on the trailer tongue is amazing :thumbsup: hope you don't mind that i added you to my friends so i could bookmark your buildjournal for later :) since i probably won't get to build my td for another year or so :(
gypsymoon
Teardrop Inspector

Postby pappaw » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:33 pm

Hi Tom:

What a super teardrop you built, super. :thumbsup:

Image Cheers from Granny, Pappaw, and Cocoa (the Dachshund) Image
pappaw
Teardrop Master

Postby fromscratch » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:03 am

Well I was going to build a TD, but after reading about your build and viewing the pictures and trying to register the extreme detail in my tiny brain I think I will just pack up and go home. It's done and there cannot be any better. Your build is an example of careful thought , planning and execution driven by perfection. All I can say is WOW!! WOW!! WOW!!!
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better man.
Benjamin Franklin
fromscratch
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Cummins01 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:35 pm

This is a great build! I hope you don't mind but I'm planning on stealing a few of your ideas for my first build, I just started the thread for it. Again, great job!
-Brad-
If it doesn't fit......... get a bigger hammer.

Build Thread:
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54285&p=987867#p987867
Cummins01
Teardrop Builder

Postby Sputterputz » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:05 am

Love this build!!
Sputterputz
Teardrop Advisor

Re:

Postby clintstuckless » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:59 pm

aggie79 wrote:Scott,

All of the 200-300+ screws will be removed; the PL Premium will be the only thing adhering the plywood skin to the framing. I used this method on the hatch and it seems to have worked well even with the wicked radius at the bottom of the hatch.

It's a good thing that I have two batteries for my electric drill. :?

The exterior will be aluminum. I'm hoping Bill L will pass along some of his metalworking skills.

Tom

Why remove the screws. Why not just skin over them

Also how did you figure how much to take out when sskeletonized the walls.
clintstuckless
Teardrop Inspector

Postby clintstuckless » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:01 am

Sorry.

I forgot to say beautiful job on the trailer
clintstuckless
Teardrop Inspector

Postby aggie79 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:11 pm

clintstuckless wrote:Why remove the screws. Why not just skin over them

I removed the screws for three reasons. First, the glue joint bond is stronger than the wood itself so the strength of the screws was not needed. Second, the screws sat above the finished surface. If I left them in place the aluminum skin would not lie flush with the plywood skin. And third, it is probably another case of my over thinking, but even if I had used countersunk screws, I was concerned that road vibration may cause the screws to "back out."

clintstuckless wrote:Also how did you figure how much to take out when sskeletonized the walls.
I kind of used "Kentucky windage" here. Around most openings I left about 3". Along partions and shelves I left about an inch above and below so that works out about to 3" too. Same for the fender mounting flange. Three inches is way more than what is needed structurally, but I was working with most very basic sketch and wanted to leave some extra "meat" to move things around a little bit as I built my teardrop.

clintstuckless wrote:Sorry.

I forgot to say beautiful job on the trailer

Thank you. There are a lot of incredibly beautiful teardrops and tiny travel trailers being built on this forum. They gave me the inspiration to try a build of my own.

Tom
Tom (& Linda)
Build Thread

aggie79

Postby rdwanrow » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:18 pm

:applause: :applause: :applause: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: WOW. I am amazed. I am a newbie to the site. This the first building thread that I have read to completion. I am sitting hear with my mouth hanging open just thinking, what the heck am I thinking? I could never build anything close to this. Just simply awesome Tom you should be, and deservingly so be very proud of your design and accomplishment. WOW simply amazing. I think I'll go mow the lawn now.
rdwanrow
Teardrop Inspector

Postby drewh1 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:57 pm

Great Build Journal Tom! I am working on my build and am using your idea for building the roof/ceiling as a removable unit. Also learned a lot from the way you applied the Aluminum skin.

So nice to have all this information!

drew.
"If only I knew what I know now when I started . . ."

My Build Journal http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=56916
drewh1
Donating Member

Postby Gunguy05 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:17 am

While researching ideas for my first build I came across your thread. My build is going to be much bigger, big enough for 2 adults and 2 kids, but there is so much that I have taken from the, up until now, 48 pages of posts here.

You're finishing work is something to be in awe of. Outstanding attention to detail is huge understatement, and it really shows in all of the photos that you have included.

Mentioning the photos. There is much to be learned in TD construction techniques just by looking at all of your photos. This is something that can't be explained or articulated another way, and is the next best thing to being in your garage. I especially like all of the attention to the photos of the skinning and finishing of the edges of the Al. Something that scares the crap out of me, but I think that the Al is the best looking finish out there. You're explanation of it all is very helpful and encouraging.

I REALLY like the use of the engineered flooring material on the walls. Definitely something that I will look at "borrowing" in my build. Turned out very well.
Brian

Checkout my buildThe Regal Eagle Bow front for 4
Also my teardrop updates from blog on Dad Rambles
Gunguy05
The 300 Club

Re:

Postby lrrowe » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:18 pm

aggie79 wrote:Since the SB made her first outing on the last weekend of March not much work has been done.

I did manage to install the Petcool in the tongue box and (almost) finish all of the supply and return air lines and electrical. Here is the before picture:

The Petcool sits on top of exercise mat (intended reduce vibration.) The cut out area is for the condensate drain.

This picture shows the Petcool in place with the return air line installed and insulated. (The return air comes from a grill in the galley wall at the foot of the bed and runs underneath the teardrop up to the tongue box.)

Next, I installed the supply air ducting. It runs through the back of the tongue box and through the front wall of the teardrop.

The supply air comes into the headboard cabinet where it is split into two ducts. This (poor) picture shows the splitter mounted in the headboard cabinet.

The only thing left to do is run the two supply lines. They will connect from the splitter to two automotive-type adjustable ar vents installed in the shelf of the headboard cabinet.

Next up - last bit of cabinet construction so they can be finished and installed.

Take care and thanks for looking,
Tom

Hi Tom, I just came across your posts today and really like your ideas and work. I am also very interested in how the Petcool is working for you. Are you satisfied with it?
What size did you put in, the 5000 or 8000 version?
Bob
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Re: Re:

Postby aggie79 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:03 pm

lrrowe wrote:
aggie79 wrote:Since the SB made her first outing on the last weekend of March not much work has been done.

I did manage to install the Petcool in the tongue box and (almost) finish all of the supply and return air lines and electrical. Here is the before picture:

The Petcool sits on top of exercise mat (intended reduce vibration.) The cut out area is for the condensate drain.

This picture shows the Petcool in place with the return air line installed and insulated. (The return air comes from a grill in the galley wall at the foot of the bed and runs underneath the teardrop up to the tongue box.)

Next, I installed the supply air ducting. It runs through the back of the tongue box and through the front wall of the teardrop.

The supply air comes into the headboard cabinet where it is split into two ducts. This (poor) picture shows the splitter mounted in the headboard cabinet.

The only thing left to do is run the two supply lines. They will connect from the splitter to two automotive-type adjustable ar vents installed in the shelf of the headboard cabinet.

Next up - last bit of cabinet construction so they can be finished and installed.

Take care and thanks for looking,
Tom

Hi Tom, I just came across your posts today and really like your ideas and work. I am also very interested in how the Petcool is working for you. Are you satisfied with it?
What size did you put in, the 5000 or 8000 version?
Bob

Hi Bob!

The Petcool is working fine for us. At the time there was only one model. I believe ours is 2500 btuh which is about half of the cooling capacity of the Climate Right 5000. We usually don't camp in the heat, but we did camp one time with some friends when the temperature reached 97 degrees and it was a very humid day. Our teardrop was exposed to the western sun. The Petcool was struggling, but it did pull the temperature down to 80 degrees inside when it was 97 degrees outside. We keep a container to catch the condensate and during that time it was producing about a quart of water every two hours or so.

I did do some minor modifications to the Petcool. The return air plenum inside the unit was sealed very well. I did add some high temperature foam rubber seals to make it air tight. Also, I added substantial resistance/friction to both the supply air side and return air side of the unit with the elbows and length of ducting from the front of the teardrop to the rear. I also added a filter element at the rear intake air grill. Combined these have reduced air flow. I did add an additional blower behind the intake grill and connected to the return duct. When the temperature gets over 90 degrees I do turn on this additional blower, but most of the time it just "free-wheels". I have not experienced any icing of the coils with the reduced air flow.

The Petcool has electric resistance heating but I haven't used it.

I have been very happy with the system. The only item on my wishlist would be to have a remote electronic thermostat. (I did purchase a high voltage "cooling" thermostat and pre-wired the outlet for it, but haven't installed it.) I believe the newer units have a built-in electronic thermostat.

Hopefully in a year or two, I will begin a second build. It will either be a cargo trailer conversion or a replica bread loaf trailer. I will be seriously considering the use of the Climate Right air conditioner for that build.

Take care,
Tom
Tom (& Linda)
Build Thread

aggie79

Postby zroadhouse » Wed May 14, 2014 5:41 pm

What an epic build! Looks great! I hope my CTC goes together more quickly since I need it to get out of the Texas heat this summer at the track!
zroadhouse
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals