"Fred Sanford" build

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby Woodstramp » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:55 pm

Also, if the owner of this site sees this....just wanted to send you a thanks. (if I near completion I'll be able to donate some) :D Also to all the folks whose ideas (stolen) and advice (given) have helped get us this far.
Woodstramp
The 300 Club

Postby kinto » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:07 am

Got the back wall started and the rear ceiling..

dude... the design/ cuts of that back wall are AWESOME!!!
Is a hippopotamus just a really cool opotamus?

imay ildbay urnaljay

kinto
Gold Donating Member

Postby Woodstramp » Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:16 am

Thanks Kinto, but that wasn't meant for looks. :) Just tried to work out a way to shave some weight, allow for a future door (lower left) and maintain some diagonal strength on that panel. Feel free to use it if you care to. Would be honored.
Woodstramp
The 300 Club

Postby Woodstramp » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:36 pm

Some more progress. Actually a major milestone in my junkyard build. Finally got ( a kind of finished) door mounted. I've been dreading this part of the build since day one. Everything else has basically been a piece of cake. This stupid door has taken more time than any other single component. Sure, it and the frame only cost about $90 (new Trimark latch and new aluminum--press board body/frame angle iron were scrap from work), but the labor was like $3,000 (if you factor in my labor) This new door is called "Damdoor". (meaning of name should be obvious) :D

Next go around will be with a "store-bought" door unit, more than likely. :)

Also got my new 1" lift kit installed. Will try new mods on our second campout with the Geogia Tearjerker gathering at Cloudland Canyon this weekend. Can't wait to get on the road tomorrow.

Anyway, Dogdoor is off, Damdoor is on.

Woodstramp
The 300 Club

"Damndoor" for a queen....

Postby Woodstramp » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:21 pm

Deleted
Last edited by Woodstramp on Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Woodstramp
The 300 Club

Postby Deryk the Pirate » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:38 pm

Nice! I agree with you and debated alot about just buying a door and not have to play with a home made one so much.
Build Thread lil vardo 1: http://tinyurl.com/baqe6py
Build Thread lil vardo 2: http://tinyurl.com/b3rwffm
Deryk the Pirate
500 Club

Postby Woodstramp » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:00 pm

Deryk, you are a smart man...buy one.

Side note....we took the rig to the Tearjerker gathering at Cloudland only to find how important reservations really are for that campground. No room in the inn....had to bail to another state park last minute. The Suburban also developed a clicky universal joint just before we arived. :? We salvaged the weekend at the other state park and made it all the way home on the bum u-joint. Was still a nice experience for a second campout.
Last edited by Woodstramp on Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Woodstramp
The 300 Club

Postby campmaster-k » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:32 pm

What a great trailer you ended up with. Great job :thumbsup: . I like that little grill too. If you build one do a build thread on it . Thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:
-Kirk

>TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB

>CEO Coleman Recovery Inc.

>Nor Cal Camping Pinewood Racing Team

Build thread -

viewtopic.php?t=45307&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=180

Check out my Pictures -

http://s1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa4 ... 0QQtppZZ24
campmaster-k
Lifetime member

Postby S. Heisley » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:09 pm

The door looks good, as does the latch and trimming of the door. Good job, Chuck; plus, you made a bunch of "points" with your wife! So, it was probably worth all those cuss words that you wanted to say or whispered under your breath. :lol:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Woodstramp » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:38 pm

Kirk,

Thanks for the kind words.

Sharon,

Thanks to you too. The trim will get painted to match sides. I want the sides to be a monochrome white, so when my Sweety comes up with a design, it will be like a canvas for her. Hope she hits it like a tagger lusts for a plain brick wall. 8)

A note to all,

DO INSULATE your campers....

Went on another "test" camp. Third camp out. Weatherman was calling for some cool temps. Didn't have a thermometer, but it was bad windy and cool enough to sport a fleece jacket up on Cheaha Mt. (Alabama's highest point) Sun. night.

We already tested camping in warm weather and the AC was a champ. The little cheap 5k BTU unit was overkill, even during the bad part of summer.

This cool weather trip, we came with a small 600/900/1200 watt (fan type) space heater...just in case. Had one window cracked for venitlation....never had to use the heater. One blanket. All I had on was my sweat shorts and a tee shirt and was quite comfortable all night. If you followed this build, then you know all we used was some silver board in the walls and some loose bats in the roof. Futon matress serves as floor insulations.

Like I said....do insulate. You will be glad you did.
Woodstramp
The 300 Club

Postby aggie79 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:16 pm

Very cool build and first outing! Congratulations.

The door came out excellent. I oversized our doors too because my wife and I have minor back issues. As you said...my advice to everyone too is to purchase doors if possible - too much time and expense to build your own.

Sorry to digress. I love your TTT.

Take care,
Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby Woodstramp » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:45 pm

Must be on the site at the same time, Tom. Just posted and already a reply.

This was our third real outing. I oversized the door for height (Wife has severe neck issues and width (I have flab issues...especially after the holidays) :) I wanted the camper originally to be lower like one of those club cars types for less wind drag, but glad I made it a tad higher now. Kind of nice to be able to sit on the back bunk and put my pants/shoes on. A shorter version of this camper would require one of Wolffarmer's floor "put on your pants" hatches. :)
Woodstramp
The 300 Club

Previous

Return to Build Journals