Nano Weekender: becomes a mockup

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Nano Weekender: Cut the first side! Pics!

Postby mikeschn » Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:26 pm

Grant,

If I was going shopping for plywood, it would probably be 3/8". But since I had a couple sheets of 1/2" laying around, that's what I used!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby grant whipp » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:32 pm

Yeah ... FWIW, I'd have to opine that 3/8" would be the max for this application and 1/2" would be overkill, but since you had it, why not ... ;) ...! With the 1x framing, all you'd really NEED would be 1/4" outer and 1/8" inner (maybe 1/4") and insulation board inside ... would be extremely light, easy to build, and more than strong enough. I'm watching this build with much interest ...

CHEERS!
Celebrating Retirement after over 32 Years of Building, Promoting, Supporting, Supplying, Living the Lifestyle, and Loving Teardrop Trailers!
"Life Moves a Little Slower When You're On Teardrop Time"
The nature of Life, itself, is change ... "Those who matter, don't mind, and those who mind, don't matter."
grant whipp
Teardrop Manufacturer

Postby chimpta » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:38 am

Mike I see your point. A picture is worth a thousand words. Trying to find a compromise between ease of construction, functionality and having something I will love camping in. You give me much to :thinking: about.
Mark
chimpta
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mikeschn » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:14 pm

Mark,

Don't scare yourself so.

Building a teardrop, even with curves is really easy. Grab yourself a set of plans and build one, and you'll see what I mean.

Here's one option... http://www.mikenchell.com/images/GenericBenroyPlans.pdf

Build it in your mind a few times, and then look for the shape that best pleases your eye. You could start here: http://www.angib.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/t ... tear00.htm

I really like the Cub or Modernistic, and the variations of those. And the spars don't have to have any funny angles on them.

My next build will probably be the Nano Cub, similar to the Ultralight Cub as shown in this thread! http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=7426

But don't let me persuade you. If you decide that you'd rather have something with flat panels... check out the XJ Stompers, and variations thereof!
http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?p=360256#p360256

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:46 am

I posted the wrong link to the Ultralight Design. Here is the correct link...

http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?p=85804#p85804

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:13 pm

I just finished cutting the RH side of the Nano Weekender... next step. Sticks for the door...

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Breytie » Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:18 pm

mikeschn wrote:Building a teardrop, even with curves is really easy. Grab yourself a set of plans and build one, and you'll see what I mean.

I believe the curves are simpler to do. Flat panes need to be perfectly square, on size and flat - else you have real issues.
mikeschn wrote:I really like the Cub or Modernistic, and the variations of those. And the spars don't have to have any funny angles on them.

No joke those spars with funny angles - unless you are a seasoned woodworker with all the right tools and equipment.

My lightweight flat panel experience is leaving me .....flat?

But go for it! Buy or build that chassis and get going - you will be so glad you did. Just use your plans, noggin and time, you learn a lot in the process. I am planning a MKII and the first one is not even campable yet.
Andre
Experience is learning from your own mistakes
Here I make mine in public: My build
Breytie
Teardrop Master

Postby mikeschn » Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:22 pm

My next build will be a curved build again also...

But I have to finish this one.

Currently I am working on the RH side, on the door to be exact. I didn't like the placement of the hinges on the LH side, so I thought maybe the trick would be to use a different hinge, and add a backer board where the screws would come through...

Something like this maybe...

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Re: Nano Weekender: Working on 2nd side

Postby dogscats » Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:40 am

I like the look of this so thanks. Do you have the measurement for the roof line .At least where the break is in the top. Tried to find on sketch up. a again thanks
TODAY IS THE OLDEST YOU'VE EVER BEEN,
YET AT THE SAME TIME, THE YOUNGEST YOU'LL EVER BE,,, SO MAKE THE BEST OF IT WHILE YOU CAN, AND ENJOY THIS DAY WHILE IT LASTS
dogscats
Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:37 pm

How about I make a quick drawing of the side profile? Sometime this weekend okay?

Today I finished the 2nd door. Tomorrow I am going to build up the floor. I hope to dry assemble it and get some pictures for you guys!

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Wright » Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:56 pm

Mike, You Sir are a tear making machine! :thumbsup:
:BE Wright

SEMPER FI
Wright
*teardrop schemer

Postby mikeschn » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:02 am

This morning I built the floor, took the pieces outside and dry assembled them to check them for size and fit... It looks pretty good.

Next step is to put in the shelf, and a mattress, and see how I fit. :frightened: :lol:

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Re: Nano Weekender: Dry Assembled!

Postby RAYVILLIAN » Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:01 am

Hi Mike
When I toured Campinn last fall they're using mortise and tenons on their galley selves. I see you've cut rabbits in the sides for yours ever thought of doing the mortise and tenons for them.
the nano's looking good I've been watching over your shoulder.

Gary
Where ever we raise the hatch is home.
Darn blank states keep getting further away and we keep traveling slower ain't never gona get this map full.
111961Image
RAYVILLIAN
Lifetime member

Postby mikeschn » Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:03 am

Okay, I got the bed dry fitted in there...

Let's try it out for size. Hmmm seems to be plenty of room for my feet!!!

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:55 pm

Hi Gary,

So are they cutting mortises through the exterior wall?

I don't see the benefit of a through mortise because I drive my screws into the end grain of the shelves, through a hole in the exterior wall. The shelves give the wall strength and visa versa! :D

Mike...

RAYVILLIAN wrote:Hi Mike
When I toured Campinn last fall they're using mortise and tenons on their galley selves. I see you've cut rabbits in the sides for yours ever thought of doing the mortise and tenons for them.
the nano's looking good I've been watching over your shoulder.

Gary
mikeschn
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals