Budget Build For Boo!

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Budget Build For Boo!

Postby ohbugger » Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:53 pm

Fantastic trailer! Keep the updates coming!!!
- Erik -
ohbugger
Teardrop Master

Postby Patti » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:28 pm

Boo had designed a delightful color scheme, cheerful and retro-contemporary. But the real story here is all about the great memories you have together of this work. I bet she'll keep this for the rest of her life. Awesome. I can't wait to see more updates.

Why did you decide on oil based enamel rather than marine epoxy? I don't know anything about it but would have assumed marine stuff would be better.
Patti
Teardrop Builder

Postby fullon627 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:33 pm

Patti wrote:Boo had designed a delightful color scheme, cheerful and retro-contemporary. But the real story here is all about the great memories you have together of this work. I bet she'll keep this for the rest of her life. Awesome. I can't wait to see more updates.

Why did you decide on oil based enamel rather than marine epoxy? I don't know anything about it but would have assumed marine stuff would be better.

Thanks Patti for the thumbs up on Boo's color scheme. Now about the oil based enamel. Some wood boat builders prefer marine oil based enamels (which is a thicker than the most oil base you buy at paint stores) to paint the bottoms of their boats that have been epoxy built. Only non-Nonyl Phenol epoxies can be painted over with oil based marine paint without a special barrier coat. Marine epoxy paint is more expensive, harder to work with and in my opinion not anymore waterproof. This trailer is not the bottom of a boat that sits in water all the time. Boo wanted special colors (not available with most kinds of marine paint/epoxy), so we decided to go with a quality paint store brand of oil base enamel. Since we didn't fiberglass the edges/corners of the trailer we should get some cracking of the enamel there. But all edges/corners will be trimmed and sealed, so problem solved. That was a good question Patti!
It's a great world if you don't weaken!
Boats float and airplanes fly!
If you boat sinks you can swim!
If you airplane falls you can't fly!
Ken from Eureka Ca.

Boo's Build viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60867
fullon627
Gold Donating Member

Postby fullon627 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:27 pm

Boo and I have been kinda loafing it lately on the trailer. She has been painting the doors slowly. She finish the doors today. Then boo and I put the slide base back in. Time to build out the slide. We need to get this done for the 22nd Dam Gathering. I already reserved a spot for her!

Boo finished the doors. Just needs to take the tape off.

Slide base back in. You can see that I added cross members to the base bottom. I was always going to do that but I had to take it back out first. The inner cross member is inset a few inches so I can mount a caster in the middle that will run along the floor. Slide base is 3/4 ply with oak frame. Sides and hatch will be built out of 1/4 ply.

The next two photos are with the slide base unloaded and then with all 220lbs of me on the very edge of the slide. The slide only flexed 3/8 on an inch! It also slid in very easy with me on it.

I will be adding the folding adjustable aluminum legs to the slide out. To make the slide super stout when its out They are rated at 200lbs each.

Boo's renditions of her trailer never really showed how the rear hatch was going to be built. She redid it today. It should have 6'4" of headroom under the hatch

Boo made a rendition of what the galley should look like. Counter height should be the standard 36 inches.
Ken from Eureka Ca.

fullon627
Gold Donating Member

Postby Patti » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:06 pm

Thanks for the explanation of paint choices. You had me at 'not as many color selections!'

That slideout is amazing. So strong! Boo is a lucky girl!
Patti
Teardrop Builder

Postby Patti » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:46 am

It has been a month since you've checked in. I hope everything it okay in Boo-ville!
Patti
Teardrop Builder

Postby The Teardrop Nanny » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:52 am

Boo-ville...... :vroom:

:drofl:
I think that is a great name for your shop now, Ken!! Getting Dam close... :lol:

Joanie
TDN
Life's uncertain...eat dessert first. Check out our cooking channel for cast iron:
www.youtube.com/outdoorcastironcook Dean & Joanie, your hosts
The Teardrop Nanny
Teardrop Muse

Postby S. Heisley » Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:58 pm

Remember, the trailer doesn't have to be totally done to go camping. It just has to be done enough to be towed and be camp-able.
Besides, a lot of times, with the first camp trip, come new and changed ideas...Ya never know!
I'd like to see it, done or not, at the Dam gathering!
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby fullon627 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:36 pm

Patti wrote:It has been a month since you've checked in. I hope everything it okay in Boo-ville!

Boo-ville, nice! I've just been a bit of a slacker. But Boo and I are on a big push right now.
Ken from Eureka Ca.

fullon627
Gold Donating Member

Postby fullon627 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:41 pm

The Teardrop Nanny wrote:Boo-ville...... :vroom:

:drofl:
I think that is a great name for your shop now, Ken!! Getting Dam close... :lol:

Joanie
TDN

Joanie, kinda looks like Boo-ville around the shop lately! With little trailer stuff everywhere.
Ken from Eureka Ca.

fullon627
Gold Donating Member

Postby fullon627 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:44 pm

S. Heisley wrote:Remember, the trailer doesn't have to be totally done to go camping. It just has to be done enough to be towed and be camp-able.
Besides, a lot of times, with the first camp trip, come new and changed ideas...Ya never know!
I'd like to see it, done or not, at the Dam gathering!

Sharon, that's what I was thinking. Just get it sleep-able for the Dam Gathering.
Last edited by fullon627 on Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ken from Eureka Ca.

fullon627
Gold Donating Member

Postby fullon627 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:22 pm

Ok, I'm guilty of being a slacker on building and posting. But Boo's got me on the big push now. We have done a few things lately. We will be building the hatch for the slide out today.

We started building the slide out. The hole cut in the floor is for the holding tank, to get it below the sink base. The slide out is sloped to the back for rain/water run off.

We installed the windows.

Boo primed the slide out.

Boo bought Bamboo for the counter top. I bought a under mount stainless sink that has a bowl size of 16"x16" and 4.5" deep.

Test fitting the slide out. It fits perfect and is square for some unknown reason.
Ken from Eureka Ca.

fullon627
Gold Donating Member

Postby fullon627 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:37 am

We worked on the hatch last weekend an this weekend. I have to say, this has been the most time consuming part of the whole project. We are still not done with it yet. There are so many things that have to be perfect to seal everything. Let alone open and close properly. There are three separate set of seals. One set seals the galley when it out. One set seals the slide out to the trailer when its out. And one set seals the slide out to the trailer when its it's in. We weighed the trailer today. With stuff on the roof and supplies and tools inside it weighed 960lbs. With the slide out in, it has a tongue weight of 176lbs at this time. We are pushing to make the Dam Gathering with the trailer road worthy but no where near finished.

Boo checking clearances and filling screw holes on the hatch. Hatch is spaced out for seals/hinge and screwed down to hold in place till the glue dries.

Next two photos show the slide out all the way in. And from the inside with it all the way out.

Once it was a proper fit, we took the hatch off the slide out to do more work on it. Since things a going a bit slowly, Boo decided to make some fancy corner braces for the hatch. She drew out the pattern but I had to take them over to my friends house so he could cut them out on his scroll saw. It's a Z pattern that she will paint the same color as the stripe on the trailer.
Ken from Eureka Ca.

fullon627
Gold Donating Member

Postby Patti » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:41 pm

Awesome lightning-bolt... well, whatever that is in the last pic. It is like the one on the sides, right? This is looking so great!
Patti
Teardrop Builder

Postby Atomic77 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:56 am

Where did you find that awesome bamboo countertop?
Michael

"The Strength is in the Sum of the Parts..."

The Astroliner

Follow The Astroliner Blog Here!

Check out our YouTube video
Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals