Ok here we go...PMF!

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Ok here we go...

Postby Sheddie » Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:36 pm

Hay Vedette. If your wife is like mine, she uses cm . I always work with mm. Gets a bit confusing sometimes.
On the other subject above, this is how Kiwis spit roast a sheep.
Sheddie
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby dales133 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:05 pm

rebapuck wrote:Back in the 70s, I think, the US made a stab at trying to convince the public to go metric. I remember my mother in a panic about her recipes. I had to assure her that no one was going to come in and forcibly take her measuring cups away.

Lol that's funny.
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:13 pm

Vedette wrote:Great to follow you two guys in conversation.....but even for a Canadian it is hard for me unless you guys speak inches?? (we half heartedly switched to metric in my graduation year) :?
It is that "Old Dog" thing.
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi

A million years ago –or so it seems– I worked wildfire in Alaska. About 1984 (wasn't that a million years ago?) I was thrown into a group of other yanks to take over a fire near Watson Lake in the Yukon. The fire had spun our Canadian brothers around a bit and they needed a break. There were about a dozen of us on the airplane, all cramming meters and centimeters and liters and stressing over how we were going to deal with it. We were briefed in Watson Lake by an old sun-burned, wrinkled forester –a grandfather kind of guy– by the name of Les. When we explained our trepidations, he said: "We don't use that damned metric stuff here in Canada."
:thumbsup:

:stompspam:

I woulda loved to gone fishing with ol' Les, but it wasn't meant to be.

T
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby dales133 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:58 pm

righty ho... back on topic :)
today after 4 days procrastination, measuring , head scratching and research i finally took the bull by the horns and bust out the angle grinder and mig and tacked up how my original plan was going to go with raised floor for fishing rod storage tube and chairs, table, awnings hoses ect.
my delema is i put the side profile on the chasis and it looked awsum low and sleek where this will be 230mm (just under a foot) higher.
dosnt sound like much but it sets the door alot higher off the ground and the roofline ends up about 2 meters.
id like some opinions keeping in mind i do like the underfloor storage.
i have seen a benroy at expodition portal that i have, will liberate some ideas from and it seems similar in hight. anyway let me know what you think,

this is with the inner gaurds spot welded and bolted on , basic chasis hight, heres another

this is with the raised floor tacked in

and heres my profile that needs a foot or so added onto the galley end

cheers Dale
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby dales133 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:18 pm

opps
Last edited by dales133 on Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby Vedette » Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:43 pm

Dale....... you are the best when it comes to posting pictures. :thumbsup:
But, one thing to remember!
Where will your Galley's counter top height end up at upon completion?? :thinking:
Should be 36" (3" short of a Meter?? :lol: )
Keep up the great work.
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Here is a link to my Build Journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50912
Image109106109111109110138766
Vedette
Silver Donating Member

Postby dales133 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:20 am

Vedette wrote:Dale....... you are the best when it comes to posting pictures. :thumbsup:
But, one thing to remember!
Where will your Galley's counter top height end up at upon completion?? :thinking:
Should be 36" (3" short of a Meter?? :lol: )
Keep up the great work.
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi

lol tried to edit and qouted myself Doh!my tear is 2.7 meters long witch is a shade over 9 foot,
the floor will only be raised under the bed and the galley will be straight at chassis hight.
so the lowest point of the galley will be 600mm off the ground so should be ll good...
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby dales133 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:08 am

the ply in the mockup is my inside wall lining the outer wall lining will be 5 foot
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby Plainsgirl » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:36 am

I THINK I know what you mean, and I think it looks great and will work, especially if you add a good matching box on your tongue frame, at the front of the main body.
Loving the pics! Keep up the good work :)
Plainsgirl
Teardrop Advisor

Postby dales133 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:51 am

im guessing by the lack of enthusiasm for my current direction that it looks to hard or to unconventional.
i seriously admit i have made life seriously harder with this build than necessary but i walked into it with a firm stance that it would be the same wheel track width as my trusty old landcrusier and work around the obsticles.
the other think is i own a room full off fishing rods and most of them are worth between 600 and 1000 and thats before bolting a reel on.
im sick of using crap gear on charters when i own the best so its a priority since i cant tow my boat i take my rods.
so that is the underfloor storage issue, and the 4x4 issue and the track width issues.
on top of that i cant make any sense of sketchup so ive not rendered any plans but im good at making plans on the fly.
anyway i had my first go at the new kreg jig tonight and also ripped my timbers down so i got wall frame and floor frame out of pricey hardwood for cheap!
finished alot of remeasuring and welding earlier in the day but heres where im at

so the frame for the floor will step in round the gaurds then step down to the galley area.
i plan on removing it all off the triler when i have the floor finished and flipping it and waterproofing it, underfloor will be a bit of a challenge due to the 2 levels and width change.
see how i go :)
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby Plainsgirl » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:41 am

Looks awesome. What did you think of the Kreg jig? Did you get that here or the States? I think the underfloor storage is winner winner chicken dinner and will give you so many options you wouldn't have without it..even shoving firewood in there from the side of the road lol. My husband has two lots of rods and reels..one lot he keeps in the shed and the other he keeps in the house in the cupboard under the stairs...hmm..maybe I should ask him what they are worth... :cry:
Plainsgirl
Teardrop Advisor

Postby KCStudly » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:37 am

It seems so simple at first. What could be so complicated about building a box, right? :lol: :lol: :lol:

But when you have a plan, and are trying to maximize usage and efficiency in a small space, things tend to get a little more complex.

I'm wondering how you will access all of that under floor space.

Have you seen Desert Moose's build? He used some neat tricks to make the most of it, like access from foot wells at the side doors and pull out drawers.
Last edited by KCStudly on Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby dales133 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:45 pm

Plainsgirl...Got the jig from carbatec they have a branch in every state, they also sell a quality container full of about 400 kreg screws of a sorted sizes.
Was 70 for the jig and 30 for the screws I got some titebond 3 from them too.

KC...Yea i didn't expect it to be easy but it's it's like building a deck or something where you need yo think 5 steps ahead and one deviation presents a whole new set of challenges.
The access to the underfloor area was going to be through draws and still may be yet.
That storm water pipe is 150mm I'D and I've found a stainless steel deck plate designed for valve and inspection access on ships that will fit snugly over the pipe for access.
The only issue with draws is I loose access to the area between the wheel tubs unless I just use it for pumps ect with access from inside or the galley.
Working today and tomorrow so I'll do what I can tonight .

Hope that explains my plans! Cheers Dale
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby dales133 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:02 pm

Oh and KC I polyed my inside wall linings witch will be glued to my floor rail.what would you do as far as glue is concerned?
I'm guessing tb3 won't work now
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby Vedette » Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:39 pm

What is weight target (lbs please).....as it is starting to look heavy. :thinking:
So far I can tell your like me! I overbuilt everything on my first build???? :oops:
And I still missed your projected counter top height?? :NC
Good Roads
Brian :beer:
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Here is a link to my Build Journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50912
Image109106109111109110138766
Vedette
Silver Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals