The Astroliner

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: The Astroliner

Postby Atomic77 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:43 am

Good info! Thanks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk
Michael

"The Strength is in the Sum of the Parts..."

The Astroliner

Follow The Astroliner Blog Here!

Check out our YouTube video
Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby OP827 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:16 pm

Thank you Michael so much for kind words. I'll keep on dreaming and building. Good luck in finding good quality materials. :thumbsup:
OP827
Donating Member

Postby finleycraft » Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:14 pm

Man I don't know how I haven't seen this build! Maybe its because I finished my build back in 14 and haven't been around much since. But now that I am hoping to get into another build sometime in the next 6 months I am searching for inspiration again. This thing is amazing!!! :thumbsup: Truly a work of art. Cheers! :beer: Do you have an estimate of the total weight yet? I am curious how it will tow once loaded. I know that in mine it ended up being almost 7x12 and I didn't move the wheels back from the original popup location like yours. If I loaded things too much on top of the wheels or too many cases of water/ beer in the galley it would have a tiny bit of sway above 65mph. That was easily fixed by moving about 50-100 lbs of cargo as far forward as I could get it. Tested it up to 80mph after that on a cross country trip with no sway at all. I like my trailer level and balanced properly. 8) Every time I see a trailer tongue pointed at the ground or sky I want to smack that driver and send him to driving school. :x I have seen the black boat of y'alls here in Kent Washington is that an older body just used to drum up some business?

Again man incredible build can't wait to see the finished product!
finleycraft
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Atomic77 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:51 am

finleycraft wrote:Man I don't know how I haven't seen this build! Maybe its because I finished my build back in 14 and haven't been around much since. But now that I am hoping to get into another build sometime in the next 6 months I am searching for inspiration again. This thing is amazing!!! Truly a work of art. Cheers! Do you have an estimate of the total weight yet? I am curious how it will tow once loaded. I know that in mine it ended up being almost 7x12 and I didn't move the wheels back from the original popup location like yours. If I loaded things too much on top of the wheels or too many cases of water/ beer in the galley it would have a tiny bit of sway above 65mph. That was easily fixed by moving about 50-100 lbs of cargo as far forward as I could get it. Tested it up to 80mph after that on a cross country trip with no sway at all. I like my trailer level and balanced properly. 8) Every time I see a trailer tongue pointed at the ground or sky I want to smack that driver and send him to driving school. :x I have seen the black boat of y'alls here in Kent Washington is that an older body just used to drum up some business?

Again man incredible build can't wait to see the finished product!

Hey thanks for stopping by! Appreciate the comments for sure. We're trying really hard to build something that's not just functional but also one of a kind. Glad you see it as a work of art... that's inspiring! The Hull you've seen in WA is an old hull that we use for West Coast display. She's been out of commission for a few years but her presence keeps the mood alive! Look me up in Tri-Cities...I'll have a couple pit passes.

Michael

The Astroliner

Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Atomic77 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:55 am

Philip wrote:
Atomic77 wrote:I'm surprised as well. Not only is the wood here outrageously priced, it's all junk! I remember years ago when we had a "nice" project going on, we would go to the local lumberyard where they had anything and everything you wanted in beautiful quality. Eventually the local yard went out of business and we had to drive 20 miles to Kokomo to go to Carter Lumber. Then it was Furrows. And Big C Lumber. Now all we have is Menards and Lowes and the quality is absolutely horrible. It's your basic homeowner crap. Nothing of quality for a craftsman that's for sure.

If your close enough to run to Kokomo. Peru has a lumber yard. They keep 1/4" cabinet grade ply in stock. It is exterior glue. Its a lot better than the ply in the box stores at Kokomo. Price was $5 a sheet above the trash price at the box stores.

They are currently out. I cleaned out all they had on Monday. They are reordering another skid.

What's the name of that yard?

Michael

The Astroliner

Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Philip » Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:34 am

Midland Lumber Co 101 Washington Ave 765-473-3646
Philip
Silver Donating Member

Postby Atomic77 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:38 am

Philip wrote:Midland Lumber Co 101 Washington Ave 765-473-3646

Thanks man... appreciate it!
Michael

The Astroliner

Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Philip » Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:35 am

I had to make a lumber run a few minutes ago. The owner told me they have a flat of 1/4" ply on order. It should be in by the end of the week.
Last edited by Philip on Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Philip
Silver Donating Member

Postby Atomic77 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:37 am

Philip wrote:I had to make a lumber run a few minutes ago. The owner told me they have a skid of 1/4" ply on order. It should be in by the end of the week.

Thanks! How's the veneer on that plywood?

Michael

The Astroliner

Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Philip » Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:38 am

pretty good. If you want to come by the house and look at the 10 sheets I have. Send me a PM and I'll send you my info.
Philip
Silver Donating Member

Postby Atomic77 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:27 pm

Atomic77 wrote:
Philip wrote:I had to make a lumber run a few minutes ago. The owner told me they have a skid of 1/4" ply on order. It should be in by the end of the week.

Thanks! How's the veneer on that plywood?

The problem I'm having is the veneer is so thin every cut we make chips the veneer. Even after taping both sides it still chips just moving it around and installing. Such a pain. If I lived closer I would definitely take you up on your offer. I live in Fort Wayne and only make the trip down to Greentown on the weekends

Michael

The Astroliner

Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby aggie79 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:44 pm

Atomic77 wrote:The problem I'm having is the veneer is so thin every cut we make chips the veneer. Even after taping both sides it still chips just moving it around and installing. Such a pain.

Hi Michael,

I know it is an extra step, but after applying tap and marking your cut line, you can use a utility knife (with a sharp blade) to score the cut line to minimize tearing of the wood veneer. Another tip, when removing the tape after cutting, is to pull the tape the tape at angle to and away from the cut rather than "up" and parallel with the cut. Even with "blue" or "green" tape, the adhesive can be strong enough to pull up fibers.

Take care,
Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby Philip » Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:58 pm

Outside layer is 3/32" thick. It is a three layer ply.
Philip
Silver Donating Member

Postby Atomic77 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:15 pm

Now that's a lot different than what I bought at Menards. The veneer is literally tissue paper thin. And Tom I'm with you on your message and I've basically done the same. The problem is while installing the piece it is so fragile the slightest bump on the edge and it splits. I talk to a guy down the road that builds cabinets and he said there is no way he would let any of the Menards or Lowe's quality plywood in his shop. Philip I'm going to check this stuff out in Peru and see if it's better quality. I was also told of a place I believe the name is Hostetler? They specialize in cabinet grade material. Somewhere around the Kokomo area I'm going to check that place out too.

Last edited by Atomic77 on Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael

The Astroliner

Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Philip » Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:55 pm

There is also Grabers on 400E Amboy. They don't keep much in stock. They can order. I had them do some custom mill work for me last summer.
Philip
Silver Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals