The Astroliner

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: The Astroliner

Postby OP827 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:21 pm

You have got nice flow of curves in your Hippy Hut oops, Astroliner interior. Great work! How wide is the bed in the back, a queen size? My build's bed in the back is 57" wide, i.e. somewhat between double and queen.
OP827
Donating Member

Postby noseoil » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:44 am

Michael, nice job on the paint & counter. Can't wait to see the color applied & laid down. I like the floor plan as well.

A long time ago (the 80's back then) I had a cabinet job where I used Fullerplast as a primer & automotive acrylic enamel for a paint finish on cabinets. Looked really nice (just MDF stuff) & actually looks like metal once the last coat is applied. Your counter will be the same thing & should last forever.
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Atomic77 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:11 pm

OP827 wrote:You have got nice flow of curves in your Hippy Hut oops, Astroliner interior. Great work! How wide is the bed in the back, a queen size? My build's bed in the back is 57" wide, i.e. somewhat between double and queen.

Thank you! The bed is currently 60x84 but there will be cabinets that will shorten it a bit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk
Michael

"The Strength is in the Sum of the Parts..."

The Astroliner

Follow The Astroliner Blog Here!

Check out our YouTube video
Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Atomic77 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:16 pm

noseoil wrote:Michael, nice job on the paint & counter. Can't wait to see the color applied & laid down. I like the floor plan as well.

A long time ago (the 80's back then) I had a cabinet job where I used Fullerplast as a primer & automotive acrylic enamel for a paint finish on cabinets. Looked really nice (just MDF stuff) & actually looks like metal once the last coat is applied. Your counter will be the same thing & should last forever.

Thank you! I was originally going to do a hard surface of some type, but the paint on the walls turned out good so I thought I would do something similar. The difference being; Once the tops are clearcoated, I'm going to level it one last time with 3000 wet on a DA, then bar-top the whole thing. I feel like epoxy is the only way to go for durability.

Michael

The Astroliner

Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby OP827 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:01 pm

Atomic77 wrote:
OP827 wrote:You have got nice flow of curves in your Hippy Hut oops, Astroliner interior. Great work! How wide is the bed in the back, a queen size? My build's bed in the back is 57" wide, i.e. somewhat between double and queen.

Thank you! The bed is currently 60x84 but there will be cabinets that will shorten it a bit.

84" wide inside is nice, you would have a spacious layout there. My build is about 75.6" (1920mm) wide inside, mostly the result of "design as you build" hobby approach and donor frame size.
OP827
Donating Member

Postby Atomic77 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:28 pm

OP827 wrote:
Atomic77 wrote:

84" wide inside is nice, you would have a spacious layout there. My build is about 75.6" (1920mm) wide inside, mostly the result of "design as you build" hobby approach and donor frame size.

Early on we realized we needed more width and widened the donor frame. Looking back I'm grateful for the foresight!

Michael

The Astroliner

Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby MadMango » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:17 am

Nice to finally get a glimpse of the interior, just as great as the exterior!
MadMango
"Art without engineering is dreaming; Engineering without art is calculating." ~Quentin Stafford-Fraser

You can see my design planning, The Mobile Mango.
You can follow my TTT build here, The Mobile Mango
MadMango
Teardrop Master

Postby Atomic77 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:10 am

MadMango wrote:Nice to finally get a glimpse of the interior, just as great as the exterior!

Thank you! I almost didn't post pics yet because there's a lot of work with little to show for it really. And I don't feel like the interior photographs well. But we'll keep plugging along! Thank you for the vote of confidence!

Michael

The Astroliner

Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Atomic77 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:29 am

We put in a good Saturday on the Astroliner. We didn't quite make our goal, which was to get enough walls built that I could bring them home for finishing and lacquer. The bathroom enclosure consists of 10 walls in that small little space! As KC pointed out, other than the bed there are no rectilinear shapes. So... lots of curves and angles to consider. A lot of thought and planning at every step. My brother and I joked yesterday about the learning curve. Neither of us are wood craftsmen but we are picking up tricks as we go. Grandpa was a master cabinet builder by trade. He passed away in '74. Sure would be good to have him here today to teach us a thing or two. Anyway, here's to learning curves, progress and nostalgia...

Sorry for the glare on this next one. Had to take it through the porthole to get all three angles. If you look closely in the reflection you can see the ghost of our '37 Chevy streetrod project.

Thanks for following...

Last edited by Atomic77 on Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael

The Astroliner

Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Atomic77 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:53 pm

noseoil wrote:Michael, nice job on the paint & counter. Can't wait to see the color applied & laid down. I like the floor plan as well.

Since you mentioned it, let me run this by you... The plan for the table top and counter is to base coat, lay out some graphics, flake, candy then clear. My guess is (and it's just a guess because I haven't actually done this before) is the clearcoat will have a difficult time holding up to the task of everyday wear and tear. I mean, Imron Elite is some durable stuff but it's just not designed for plates or pans sitting on it and such. So my plan is to do a crystal clear bar top epoxy over everything. That way all is protected. I am wondering if the clear coat would even be necessary, or just clear it to be safe...And, will everything play nicely together... According to Bar Top's website it can be applied over everything. Anyway, just some thoughts. Didn't know if you have ever ventured into this realm of speciality coatings. :thinking:
Michael

The Astroliner

Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby noseoil » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:26 am

I have not tried it that way, but it should work just fine. Whatever you do, leave enough finish in place to rub out the scratches from day to day use, so you can re-cut the surface to polish it when necessary. That's as good as it gets for a clear coat, just figure it will scratch & don't use stone wear for your plates & cups!

I would consider some type of place mats, made with a backing of the soft bar glass shelf liner stuff to be a good thing. You could make some with pictures of the rod, Astroliner, boats or whatever to eat from. Sort of like restaurant stuff which could be a laminated mat with the backing applied afterward with contact cement to protect the surface & finish. It would make cleanup easier & protect the finish a bit as well. I would prefer something from Bonneville for a picture, but you can use any picture & have something nice & unique to go with your build.

Like this!
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Atomic77 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:00 pm

Ok thank you for the advice! That is a thing of beauty for sure!
Michael

The Astroliner

Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Vedette » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:20 pm

Hi Michael
So glad to see you are still at it and getting closer. :thumbsup: Will you be out this season?
Wish I could report progress on my build.......but it has been on hold for 10 months! :oops:
Too much time out on the road camping in Miss Piggy in 2016 and I also got bitten by the "CycleKart Bug" Thanks to a fellow Tear Jerkers member.
Don't Google it :roll: Way too addictive! :twisted:
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Here is a link to my Build Journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50912
Image109106109111109110138766
Vedette
Silver Donating Member

Postby Vedette » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:27 pm

Hear is what you don't want to see! :?
Oh, you just dodged a bullet, as after a major computer crash over Christmas, I have a new Mac and have yet to figure out how to post pictures here on this Forum with it?????
Maybe someone can help.
God I miss "Gage"! :pictures:
Brian
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Here is a link to my Build Journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50912
Image109106109111109110138766
Vedette
Silver Donating Member

Postby Atomic77 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:32 pm

Thanks Brian! Yeah she's taking way longer than I ever dreamed... But getting there! And by the way... I already found the one I want!

Michael

The Astroliner

Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals