12 ft Winter Warrior build

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby RAYVILLIAN » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:13 pm

New up date we got the paint and bed sheet put on today.

Here is the side with one coat of paint.
you can still see the pattern in the bed sheet this time.

Here is the other side with two coats of paint.

Now we paint with enamel and put it back together.

Gary
Where ever we raise the hatch is home.
Darn blank states keep getting further away and we keep traveling slower ain't never gona get this map full.
111961Image
RAYVILLIAN
Lifetime member

Postby mikeschn » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:20 pm

Got a good closeup of the PMF?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby RAYVILLIAN » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:21 pm

I'm going out to put the second coat of paint on the roof if it's dry I'll take one for you.

Gary
Darn blank states keep getting further away and we keep traveling slower ain't never gona get this map full.
111961Image
RAYVILLIAN
Lifetime member

Postby mikeschn » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:22 pm

Okay, sounds good. Be sure to turn on the macro function on your camera, and get the light to hit it at the perfect angle! :thumbsup: ;)

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby RAYVILLIAN » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:59 pm

Ok Mike they didn't come out real good but here they are.

this one is just the paint and bed sheet.

you can still see the pattern.

Here is the second coat of paint which I put on with a roller to get the paint stiple.

Putting it on is alot like wall paper put a coat of paint then smooth the bed sheet on with a brush and wet the sheet out with paint and the brush. Than when it's dry put on the second coat of paint with the roller.

GAry
111961Image
RAYVILLIAN
Lifetime member

Postby Nathan N » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:56 pm

I'm confused....

Now we paint with enamel and put it back together.

What kind of paint did you embed the bed sheet in? I must have missed something.

You're really rolling along :thumbsup:

Nathan
Nathan N
Lifetime member

Postby RAYVILLIAN » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:06 pm

Nathan
I use latex exterior primer to put the bed sheet on with than seal it with a oil base porch enamel. When I'm done with the bed sheet I'm usually covered with paint Well not covered but I usually have some on me and latex is alot easier to get off.

Gary
111961Image
RAYVILLIAN
Lifetime member

Postby Nathan N » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:10 pm

RAYVILLIAN wrote:Nathan
I use latex exterior primer to put the bed sheet on with than seal it with a oil base porch enamel. When I'm done with the bed sheet I'm usually covered with paint Well not covered but I usually have some on me and latex is alot easier to get off.

Gary

Got it. Thanks.
Nathan
Nathan N
Lifetime member

Postby starleen2 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:05 pm

Now, please explain why you did the bed sheet thing? :thinking:
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby RAYVILLIAN » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:25 am

Starleen that's a good question and the answer is a bit of a story.

I first saw it up close at LCG 1 and the fellow that had done it told me that when he was young they would use the method to waterproof boats. That got me to thinking about things that I've seen and read about. I once saw a kayak that was cloth stretched over a frame and waterproofed with paint and read about using canvas and paint to waterproof roofs as a cheap roofing.

As anyone that has seen the Winter Warrior up close knows I have one sheet of plywood that keeps cracking. It doesn't delam it just cracks and I have to repair and paint it every couple of years. I thought of using this to try to fix that problem but haven't gotten it done yet. But I used it on the cover for my AC and after 3 years of water and road grime being kicked up on it there is no delam or cracks at all. Soooo to make a long story shorter I decided to take the leap of faith and to a do whole trailer this way. I hope it stands up to the elements as well as the AC cover has, but only time will tell and what is done is done. I'm actually 99% sure that it will work.

I know that I could have went with fiberglass and epoxy but as anyone that has done it knows the fiberglass isn't cheap and takes alot of work filling and sanding. Buying bedsheets from second hand stores and garage sales a lot cheaper and latex paint is alot easier to work with. I did hedge my bet by sealing the wood with epoxy first though.

GAry
111961Image
RAYVILLIAN
Lifetime member

Postby razorback » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:42 am

Gary
I too saw first hand what sheets or cloth can do as an inexpensive sealing solution. I was at Dulcimer Man's house and he showed me how he did his.
Seems to work perfectly well and is definitely less expensive and less time consuming than fiberglass.
I like your results very much.
How is Trudy?
See you guys in LR Wednesday before LCG then at LCG.
By the way. We are bringing 20 lbs of bacon for the Saturday Mountain Man
Feast!!!
Larry and Macy
razorback
Super Lifetime Member

Postby wlivesey » Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:24 am

The bed sheet approach, though unconventional, really makes some sense. The sheet should do a really good job soaking up and holding on to the latex paint. With that much latex paint covering your trailer, I dont think it will ever leak.

Looking good!

:thumbsup:
wlivesey
The 300 Club

Postby Facemeltingly Epic » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:52 pm

RAYVILLIAN wrote:Starleen that's a good question and the answer is a bit of a story.

I first saw it up close at LCG 1 and the fellow that had done it told me that when he was young they would use the method to waterproof boats. That got me to thinking about things that I've seen and read about. I once saw a kayak that was cloth stretched over a frame and waterproofed with paint and read about using canvas and paint to waterproof roofs as a cheap roofing.

As anyone that has seen the Winter Warrior up close knows I have one sheet of plywood that keeps cracking. It doesn't delam it just cracks and I have to repair and paint it every couple of years. I thought of using this to try to fix that problem but haven't gotten it done yet. But I used it on the cover for my AC and after 3 years of water and road grime being kicked up on it there is no delam or cracks at all. Soooo to make a long story shorter I decided to take the leap of faith and to a do whole trailer this way. I hope it stands up to the elements as well as the AC cover has, but only time will tell and what is done is done. I'm actually 99% sure that it will work.

I know that I could have went with fiberglass and epoxy but as anyone that has done it knows the fiberglass isn't cheap and takes alot of work filling and sanding. Buying bedsheets from second hand stores and garage sales a lot cheaper and latex paint is alot easier to work with. I did hedge my bet by sealing the wood with epoxy first though.

GAry

Interesting. This looks like another little idea to file away for when I get going on my trailer this winter...
Scot

My build journal: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=42585

Not enough photos there? Try here:
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... c3e73ca184

Or here:
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... cf567dd7b7

"Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often, and for the same reason." - Mark Twain
Facemeltingly Epic
Teardrop Master

Postby RAYVILLIAN » Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:44 pm

No pics this time just an update. Got the trailer done enough to pull it and it pulls like a dream. I think that i could even forget that it is back there if it wasn't for big white blob in the rearview mirror. The bed sleeps great and thanks to Warpony we even have a name. She's been christened the Prairie Schooner. Though some think it looks like a Startrek lander. :lol:

Now to get the interior done for LCG. Right know I can stand in the galley with my arms out and turn in a full circle and not touch anything.

Gary
111961Image
RAYVILLIAN
Lifetime member

Postby Darren » Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:52 pm

The Prairie Schooner is really nice Gary. Can't wait to see how you finish it all off.
Darren
the camper formerly known as Victor Star

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals