Lifting roof XPStream - Almost Finished!

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Foldable foamie transformer with amenities

Postby KCStudly » Sun May 24, 2015 2:53 pm

Looking good! :thumbsup:

One little (?) concern. If the upper and lower front wall sections are made to the exact same profile (plan view) how will the lower section be able to nest inside of the upper section? Doesn't the upper section need to be wider and push out more in the front? ... or do you plan to split it open and add some strips to compensate?

Have you tried test fitting them together yet?
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby OP827 » Mon May 25, 2015 12:56 am

Finished the front glue up using thickened epoxy today. Used some epoxy "welding" technique inside storage compartments for strength and air isolation from propane tank and batteries compartments. There were some tricky fits and angles to accomodate, so it took me somewhat longer time to finish. I am glad to be done with this difficult (for me) part :wine: .

OP827
Donating Member

Postby OP827 » Mon May 25, 2015 9:42 am

KCStudly wrote:Looking good! :thumbsup:

One little (?) concern. If the upper and lower front wall sections are made to the exact same profile (plan view) how will the lower section be able to nest inside of the upper section? Doesn't the upper section need to be wider and push out more in the front? ... or do you plan to split it open and add some strips to compensate?

Have you tried test fitting them together yet?

The concept has changed. I spent A LOT of time thinking of the vertical and horizontal weather seals with this design and I think I got it, but real prototype testing will tell.
Last edited by OP827 on Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
OP827
Donating Member

Postby OP827 » Fri May 29, 2015 8:47 pm

Went back yesterday and today to finish the floor outside surface with a second coat of epoxy and then I added stiffeners in walking areas as just a good measure. I will coat the outside with black urethane paint I got from ecostation for free and then I will turn it over and fix to the frame with bolts ... finally.
Plan to do finish the above and make wheel wells this weekend and then it will be walls time :FNP.

OP827
Donating Member

Postby Bluebunny » Fri May 29, 2015 10:21 pm

That is beautiful work! How exciting! We watch with great interest.
off topic Stitch-and-Glue ply kayak build... https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 254&type=3
Bluebunny
Teardrop Master

Postby OP827 » Sat May 30, 2015 9:12 am

Thank you Bluebunny.
Floor exterior is coated with oil based urethane glossy black.
OP827
Donating Member

Postby OP827 » Sun May 31, 2015 11:42 pm

Made wheel wells today out of 1/2" birch plywood. Rabbeted joints for precision and strength.

All panels are cut and rabbeted:

Right wheel well being dry fit:

Dry fit:

I plan to glue and laminate the wells with fiberglass inside without being installed in place.
Will install them in place at the same time with walls to avoid any issues with the fit.
Cheers! :beer:
OP827
Donating Member

Postby Bluebunny » Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:23 am

Nice! Looks like good clearance. When the axel lifts from weight and bumps, does it swing a little rearward in addition to up? The issue of clearance has me a little concerned on my design, as i have read of several builds that have given trouble?
off topic Stitch-and-Glue ply kayak build... https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 254&type=3
Bluebunny
Teardrop Master

Postby Bluebunny » Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:31 am

I really like your deck edge flanges. Good stiffeners. I believe that i will beg/borrow your approach on my stitch-and-glue design to simplify construction - in boat terms, as an external chine log. :wine:
Bluebunny
Teardrop Master

Postby OP827 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:06 am

Bluebunny wrote:Nice! Looks like good clearance. When the axel lifts from weight and bumps, does it swing a little rearward in addition to up? The issue of clearance has me a little concerned on my design, as i have read of several builds that have given trouble?

I was also thinking of it. Side clearance is ok(?) at 1-1/8" on outside (tire agains outside wall) edge, BTW it is the same or bigger than it was originally with stock metal wells from manufacturer (Coleman), it is a tent trailer frame that I have recycled. It does swing back and there is much more clearance in the back to allow for that. I used all clearance that is in front and behind at the steel frame with no wood being proud to inside the well. The plywood only starts above steel frame elements and it is flush with steel under it, so if tire blows out, it will hit steel as well and slide on plywood with hopefully minimal destruction. If I see any issues with tire being too close to the wall and well outside, It will later cut out a curve above the tire in the side wall and wheel well and laminate the edge with plywood and then fiberglass. That should take care of any clearance issues then.
OP827
Donating Member

Postby OP827 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:15 am

Bluebunny wrote:I really like your deck edge flanges. Good stiffeners. I believe that i will beg/borrow your approach on my stitch-and-glue design to simplify construction - in boat terms, as an external chine log. :wine:

Thanks, the reason I did these stiffeners and edges is that the deck is proud of the frame at 1" outside and also this edging will be added with 1/8" birch plywood strip that will be extented down to conseal the frame and then up to be glued to the walls in order to provide for stronger wall to floor connection. It will all be laminated with fiberglass, that is why this edge strips weres not coated with black urethane yet. It works quite well as the deck is positively fixed in its designed position on the frame having the edge strips all around the steel frame with no gaps.
OP827
Donating Member

Postby OP827 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:34 pm

Finished street wall assembly and lamination with 3mm baltic birch with TB2 today.

Dry fit assembled wall before gluing with interior plywood:

View from the side:

And it is now glued up with 3mm plywood on the inside and pressed down with estimated 1500lbs of stones and stuff and left to dry until tomorrow:

That is all for now. 8)
OP827
Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:36 am

Big milestone, I'd say. :thumbsup:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby OP827 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:55 pm

Thanks KC. I am freeing up some space in my garage today, building more shelves where I can store trailer parts and panels I built until the assembly time and also for some materials to be out of the way. Just tired to re-arrange and move stuff and tools every time I need to use a table saw or a planner or to glue-up a part. Hope it will save me time in a long run, the shelves have taken so far this afternoon. Hope to finish them early tomorrow and get back to gluing up trailer walls. Purchased 6 gallons kit of epoxy yesterday.. so getting ready to glue the plywood and fiberglass with it.

EDIT: the shelves built out of recycled boards from backyard deck. Now back to clearing up space and trailer build..

Another EDIT:
Being able to get organized with space feels so much better, I wish I did this shelf long time ago. Now I have more space around the trailer to actually build it 8). I will store all the prefabricatedand glassed walls on this shelf until the time of assembly. One wall and kitchen cabinet panels are done, bath, another wall, back, the door, the lifting roof are to come. Lots to make, but now it should be quicker, safer, easier with more space.

OP827
Donating Member

Postby OP827 » Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:28 pm

Curb side wall assembled, added with embeded wood, and laminated with plywood using epoxy this time. I like epoxy better to work with than TB2 for laminating large plywood panels, it gives me more time to spread the resin and position and clamp panels. Lots ot stones to lift and place. It was relatively good and productive day by my hobby standards. :beer:

OP827
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals