the jelly belly build

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby del » Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:06 pm

Put in a call to raka today (believe it was Larry I talked to). We discussed both resin and glass, and decided on a product. He was very helpful in product selection and surprised that I live in a dessert (less than 10" of average rain fall) in Washington state. If I would have written down what we decided on, I would say what I got, so next week will bring a suprise. :delivery:

del
del
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby del » Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:45 am

I went to see the dr, and it is too soon to remove the staples :( , so now I must say sorry to Madjack and Aunti M because no more pictures for at least a week.

del
del
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:33 am

:) If the staples are removed you are on the mend. That is good enough---for now. Later we will bust your chops for not posting a pic of the staples. 8) ;)

Somethings are better done slow anyway.
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby del » Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:38 am

Aunti M

The staples are still there, but I am a lightweight and do not like looking at them, much less taking a picture of them (they are icky looking).

del
del
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:46 am

:lol: Oh, those must be really big uns. I fainted when my bandages came off. First time ever to faint. It can be shocking and I was teasin. I hope you recover soon. We are all looking forward to the big yellow Jelly Belly finish. :thumbsup:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby RAYVILLIAN » Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:50 pm

Del
Thought of an idea for your space door handles. Why have any use a solonoid with a hiden button like they use to on custom cars in the 60's. Or if you don't want to use electricity use a spring latch like most pickups have in the tailgate now with a hidden rod under the trailer.
Gary
Where ever we raise the hatch is home.
Darn blank states keep getting further away and we keep traveling slower ain't never gona get this map full.
111961Image
RAYVILLIAN
Lifetime member

Postby del » Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:40 pm

RAYVILLIAN

Putting electric solonoids on it is something I have done to a car, but comes with its own problems. Putting on latches that can be triggered with your foot, and only a lock showing may just be my solution. The mechanism would be on the door jam, with the striker on the door, with a small spring to push it open far enough to grab it. sounds like it could work.

Aunti M

I want to recover too, so I can start working again on the jelly belly (and other things). Oscar (dog) also wants his couch back, and if you do not believe it is his couch, just ask him.

hope every one remembered to set their clocks forward a hour today at 4pm (officially sunday at 2am, but the movement has begun to change it) for daylight savings time (truthfully I would prefer to do away with daylight savings time and stay on standard time year around)

del
del
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby RAYVILLIAN » Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:07 am

Del
Check out the ones used on the mid-70's Toyota's. the ones on my 74 wood hauler are consealed and opened with a rod to the handle in the middle. Their not to big and shouldn't cost much at a U'pick junk yard.
As far as that goes the ones on my 88 GMC are the same just heavier and larger.

GAry
Where ever we raise the hatch is home.
Darn blank states keep getting further away and we keep traveling slower ain't never gona get this map full.
111961Image
RAYVILLIAN
Lifetime member

Postby del » Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:25 pm

The fiber glass arrived and I had the 29 staples removed from my leg. Not much work happened because if I stand to long my leg hurts. Did work on strengthening the hinge spar with fiber glass (sorry no pics). Next I need to role the thing on its side so i can strengthen the inside of the door (will draft the neighbor for help). Will take pictures of the door process, I promise.

del
del
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby glassice » Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:43 pm

What type of support are you going to temerity add to the inside so it dose not shift when you roll it ? :thinking:
It is not the return ON my investment that I am concerned about; it is the return OF my investment
glassice
Silver Donating Member

Postby del » Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:06 pm

glassice

I have moved this section around, and I think I can role it on its side with out hurting it. It is awkward so I need help rolling it.

del
del
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby del » Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:46 am

Slowly starting to build again, leg hurts if i stand too long so I rebuilt my break room.
Did get the body rolled on its side so I can start reinforcing the door.
Went to the court house to see what I had to do to register the trailer, got good news and bad news. Since it is a harbor freight trailer I do not have to have it inspected, but I do have to come back a day when their computer works (god knows what they did before computers)
del
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby del » Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:36 pm

Today I battled the wind :x :x :x , it blew over the body :( :cry: :( and cracked the ply on the front. Will post picture tomorrow too :( today to take a picture.

Did get it licensed today, the state has decided to allow motorcycle size plates to be used on trailers, so I got the almost cute little plate for the trailer. The small plate should be easier to mount on the back. 8)

del
del
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby glassice » Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:17 pm

Hope the crack not to bad .Can you push back in and put glass patch in the inside and Sand the outside ? you need to kick Mr Murphy law out of there :x any thing that can go wrong will give you more tails for the camp fire hang in there
It is not the return ON my investment that I am concerned about; it is the return OF my investment
glassice
Silver Donating Member

Postby del » Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:41 pm

If anyone heard a bunch of cussing and swearing coming out of Yakivegas (Yakima) yesterday sorry. The wind cracked the ply on my build, I hope I can fix it.
The picture does not show but between the cracks the curve is gone. I am thinking if I glue a scrap piece to it (on the inside) and clamp it the curve will return. Maybe tomorrow.

Today I moved the axle back eight inches. Eight very stubborn holes drilled in the frame. Next I need to move the fenders back, on this build they become inner fenders. Not quite what h.f. intended but I think they will work nicely. I think I can also lower the fenders an inch, so my floor can be flat. I looked at Rolley's gallery and with 12" tires the fenders appear to be the same as mine with 8" tires, so I think I can loose an inch of clearance.

del
del
5000 Club
5000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals