the jelly belly build

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby del » Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:00 pm

Progress;

Fiberglassed side "B" and started to work on the floor bracing. I only have two long clamps, so thats as far as I got. Next (after finishing the floor bracing) I believe I will head forward and build the nose. Now is time to take a nap so I can be awake for tonights race (go Kimi).

del
del
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:21 pm

:applause: :lol: I should worry if I can tell what I'm looking at right. :R I think that means you are getting to the point it might be a TTT.

GirRdun 8)
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Gage » Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:13 pm

del wrote:<snip>
Now is time to take a nap so I can be awake for tonights race (go Kimi).
del

My money is on the other red car. The kid is going to show Kimi around. Although Alonso could spoil the pudding. (Much better than watching a bunch of spec cars go round and round). :thumbsup:

At least we're not on the other coast watching it. :lol:
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby del » Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:33 pm

Gage

Alonso did spoil it, and his team mate came in second. At least he is driving a Mercedes instead of a Renault. Massa kind of spun at one point and Kimi came in third, oh well maybe he will do better next week.

Progress;

Worked on the spar that was too long.

Worked on the four points in this section that bolt to the frame (two more go in the next section). More pics in my galley.

An engineering question for Andrew, how much do I have to reinforce the 3/4 ply pieces to the floor?
del
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby angib » Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:41 am

del wrote:how much do I have to reinforce the 3/4 ply pieces to the floor?

To be strong enough as a floor, not at all.

But it would be good to get a decent connection to the bottom of the sides/front/back, so I'd be tempted to add 2x1 (with the 2 vertical) under the floor. You'll lose 1-1/2" of internal height, but if you lap those 2x1s onto the side frames, it will stop any tendency for the sides to spring in or out.

Andrew

PS Should those 2x1s be called 1x2s in Merka?

PPS Race too boring to watch after the start. Only 10 days until real racing is on - actual overtaking, balls the size of mountains, skill to match and at least 3 Merkans competing near the front. (Yeah, Moto GP.)
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby del » Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:17 am

Andrew

The lighter coloured wood I would consider 2 x 1 (yes here in merka we call it 1 x 2). It was bought as 4 x 1 and then ripped in half, working dimensions of 1 3/4" by 3/4".
If you mean to tie the floor better to the wall, I can (just do not ask me how, yet). Or do you mean add a second set of 2 x 1's on top of the existing ones? Note I am planning to add frame work on the fourth side of the ply, just the clamps got in the way.

Thanks
del

p.s. forgive my English, I am just a merkan.

p.p.s. F1 starts are very exciting. Good thing there is more than one kind of racing. Sadly most race coverage here here in merka is on drag racing (over too quick) and winston cup (underpowered, ultra slow pit stops (twice as long as F1)), and never turn right.
del
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby angib » Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:20 pm

No, one 'layer' of 1x2 (or 2x1) is fine.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby del » Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:01 pm

Andrew thank you.

I want to build this so it stays together! This posting of my build helps me stay motivated, and if I make something that is wrong, well I hope to hear about it. Tomorrow, if the wind lets up, I hope to continue the build.

thanks del
del
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby del » Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:35 pm

Proposed floor to wall conection. (cross section)
Key;
black = 1 x 2
red = 1/8" ply (wall, left is bottom of wall)
purple = 3/4 ply
green = frame (harbor freight)
blue = bolt
brown = 1 x 4

all conections of wood on wood are glued and/or fiberglassed. (the line where the wall and 1 x 4 meet would be fiberglassed)

Any sugestions?
Do I need to fiberglass the 3/4 ply to the 1 x 2's ?

sorry for my lack of piant shop ability.

thanks del
del
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby del » Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:52 pm

progress;
Clamped the body on close to where it goes. The tongue is too short, what you can not see is if it were longer it would push the nose up a half an inch. A tongue extension is on order, from China.
Kinda looks cool (to me at least) from the side.

del
del
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:07 pm

:applause: :applause: :thumbsup:
Looks cool to me too. Save me some trouble looking back, what size trailer is that and what did you do to the axel.

GirRdun 8)
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby del » Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:08 pm

auntie M

40" wide, and moved the axle back 8".

del 8)
del
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby del » Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:02 pm

Progress;
Yes that is a spar for the nose skin, when the glue dries (tomorrow) I should be able to skin half the nose. Question should I add a second spar (on that side), or is the one enough? planning to fiberglass the joints of the wall together.
Does my floor to wall connection sound like it will work? It is a couple of posts back. The plan will create a void below the floor, should I fill this with expanding foam (light and fills the space)?
Does anyone sell the hurricane hinge just two feet long?
del
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby del » Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:25 pm

Sitting here waiting to go see the Dr. Hopefully he says I do not have to wear the falling cast (Dr. calls it a walking cast) anymore (it has been in the closet for a month), it all depends on how well the screw holes in my leg have healed. It does have less pain than before the surgery.
This morning I did put a horizontal brace on the spar in the nose (pics in gallery). I also installed the 1 x 4 that should tie the floor to the wall.
Right now it is only glued in, but tomorrow I believe some fiberglass is in order.
del
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby del » Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:22 pm

Sorry no pictures today.

The delivery people have been busy.

Six robblees received my new axle. Where the hub mounts to the wheel is the same, but the brakes width mean my springs are three inches too wide. Solution seems to be move the springs inward. :thinking: The hf axle will have to do till the body comes back off the frame.

Harbor freight finally delivered my tongue extension. It seams it was ordered by me, then built in China, then shipped to california , then me. It adds 3'9" to the tongue, more than I figured (did not know how long it would be till it got here). I can always cut it shorter if I need to. :thinking:

From Grant I received a two foot galley hinge. :thumbsup: Thanks Grant.

Tomorrow I will be busy cutting a tree down, and sunday should be able to take pictures (the ones I should of today).

So long for now.

del
del
5000 Club
5000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals