the jelly belly build

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby George Kraus » Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:10 pm

Del

What, no funf?

George
Started on the long road to happiness
George Kraus
Donating Member

Postby martha24 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:52 pm

Most large companies have a public information officer. I am not really sure the words Jelly Belly can be copyrighted when not pertaining to a candy. Kinda like cornflakes. You can always call and ask.

Perhaps if just the words Jelly Belly are used, but the logo is very cute and that would be copyrighted. There are companies that pay to have their logo on the side of vehicles as advertising. How cute would it be to have a teardrop shaped like del's with the Jelly Belly logo on it and teardrops always get plenty of attention. Got to be good publicity. :lol:

Martha :)
Martha ;)

martha24
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby del » Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:27 pm

george

thats the problem, when i cut the spars out i forgot funf. i was wondering if anyone would catch that.

the name of jelly belly

to use the name jelly belly i think i should contact jelly belly. to ask, the picture mike created would be helpful. with this in mind i think i need mikes o.k. to use his picture.

del
del
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby martha24 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:54 pm

Here's the Jelly Belly website, it shows their logo. Also under fun one can see their art gallery.
http://jellybelly.com/Cultures/en-US/default.htm

Amazing what you can do with a jelly bean! :lol:

Martha :)
Martha ;)

martha24
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby del » Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:43 pm

martha
thank you for finding this. right now i have seven days to build. then the 28th the dr takes two pieces of metal out of my leg. so my recovery time will be sent following your lead.

del

today i worked on the forward most spar. one that will support the door hinges. as andrew pointed out on another thread, this spar is too far forward to go all the way to the top. some creativity is in order, but that comes later, now i build as if it does go all the way up to be cut down to size later. why does this work seem slow.
Last edited by del on Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
del
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby doug hodder » Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:47 pm

Del...that type of copyright infringement happens all the time, and I'd think that unless you were using their logo in the marketing of a product they'd be OK with it...but who knows...check with the Coca Cola tear drop owners and see what they think, or if they have had any contact with Coke...Coke has more money behind them than Jelly Belly...you could always change the J to a G, most people wouldn't recognize the difference, or take it one step further, Belly to Bellee....If they market a sticker...didn't see one on their site...buy one and use it...If you ask from the get go, might stir up something...just a thought...Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Nitetimes » Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:09 am

It's quite often easier to ask forgiveness than to get permission.
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby madjack » Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:42 am

Nitetimes wrote:It's quite often easier to ask forgiveness than to get permission.

...my life's philosophy :lol: :lol: :lol: ..................................................... 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Micro469 » Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:30 pm

madjack wrote:
Nitetimes wrote:It's quite often easier to ask forgiveness than to get permission.

...my life's philosophy :lol: :lol: :lol: ..................................................... 8)

There's a whole big world between askin and receiving...... I should know, been married almost 29 years.... :lol:
John
Micro469
Super Lifetime Member

Postby del » Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:07 pm

today i worked on the spars again, it seams this build is about spars. i finished gluing and stapling the side spars, when dry i can trim and finish (another day). eight more spars to go (four for the front, and four for the back). but once i get these hooked together (with a third dimension) i think it is safe to skin the sides. the spar that must support the door hinges turned into a challenge.
goals of this spar are
1. must be solid for hinges to attach to.
2. have place to attach wall at bottom.
3. when all done cut top off and yet retain strength.
del
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:09 pm

Sounds good del...

Keep the photos (and challenge information) coming!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Miriam C. » Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:21 pm

mikeschn wrote:Sounds good del...

Keep the photos (and challenge information) coming!

Mike...

Boy I sure hope you are making a pattern for all this. :lol: I can't wait to see the rest.
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby del » Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:53 pm

aunti m

i not making a pattern, andrew made the pattern to follow, i am just streching it here and there (the curves remain andrews original). i am using some of mikes, andrews, and grants plans and/or ideas to suit my needs. and if thats not confusing enough i will through in some of steves ideas in for good measure (great cd b.t.w.). i am glad people are watching my build it is motivating.

cheers
del
del
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby jdarkoregon » Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:08 am

Del,

Good for you, when I heard the Name "Jelly Belly" I had a chuckle and thought this was just a concept, You have proved me in error, Good for you.

You are making us rethink constructions options. Please keep us in the loop whenever you can. You have sparked at least my interest but I'm sure there are others too.

John :thumbsup:
Innovation is essential
The world can be better
ImageImage
jdarkoregon
Donating Member

Postby del » Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:40 pm

after trimming and sanding the spars, it is time to put two of them together, wow.
i have a three dimensional object on my bench now.
first comes the bottom where the skin will be attached. the bottom supports are glued in, but the top ones will just be put in temp like. pocket screws are great.
this section is where the doors go. next i believe i will skin the door section. if you look at andrews drawings this skin should be 43" long, i will make it 48" (5 of the 11" i will stretch the side). the other mod i am doing here is the door, 30" instead of 28". also i am considering moving the bottom of door down to an inch off the floor. i figure the rounded opening and trying to sit in the door would cause issues.

now for the engineer types my plan is to
1 skin this section
2 doors
3 attach next section support
4 skin
5 add floor (only now will i know how long this will be)
6 frame position (axle), wheel wells
7 supports for the front and skin
8 back hatch and lower section
9 finish work
del
5000 Club
5000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals