the jelly belly build

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby Miriam C. » Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:55 pm

:cry: Something like that happened to mine I would be borrowing so extra swear words, big time. Hope the fix works for you. :thumbsup:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby del » Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:11 pm

Well today I glued patch panels behind the cracks on the nose.
Used scrap pieces, looks like the curve is back. Tomorrow when I remove the clamps I will see if my repair worked.
Worked on the fenders. Moved them back eight inches to match the axle, and down one inch so my inside floor will be flat.
I want to add a small shelf similar to Tom Swenson on the inside, in front, on top. But do not know how far it is down from the ceiling, any suggestions, what worked, what did not work.
Picture from http://www.tomswenson.com. The reason I am asking now is I need to brace the top of the door hinge spar, and if I cleverly disguise this brace as a shelf it will look better. :thinking:

thanks del :thumbsup:
del
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Gerald_G » Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:55 pm

Interesting - that's the exact reason some wooden boat designs have small shelves in the cabin, they are a longitudinal part of the wall structure. Good idea.
Gerald_G
Teardrop Master

Postby angib » Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:57 pm

del wrote:Worked on the fenders. Moved them ...... down one inch so my inside floor will be flat.

The fenders may have been at their previous height because that was where the wheels go to at full bump. Moving the fenders down may mean that now, at full bump, the wheels smack into the fenders.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby toypusher » Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:08 pm

angib wrote:
del wrote:Worked on the fenders. Moved them ...... down one inch so my inside floor will be flat.

The fenders may have been at their previous height because that was where the wheels go to at full bump. Moving the fenders down may mean that now, at full bump, the wheels smack into the fenders.

Andrew

The HF trailers have lots of clearance with the stock fenders. You may be right, but I would think that would only apply if the trailer is loaded with it's max capacity. JMO!
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby del » Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:22 pm

Andrew
I looked at Rolly's photo gallery and it appears to have the same fenders (pre nice wooden ones), only thing his has bigger wheels and tyres than mine, so I think it will be fine.

del
del
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby del » Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:22 am

So does anyone know how far to put the shelf down from the ceiling? If I put it to low it will bump my head, too high and it will not be useful.

thanks del
del
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:26 am

Try this: sit on the floor and have another person measure how high up your head is. Give your self a few extra inches for getting comfortable.
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby madjack » Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:38 am

Miriam C. wrote:Try this: sit on the floor and have another person measure how high up your head is. Give your self a few extra inches for getting comfortable.

...and don't forget to allow for the mattress under your butt!!!!!!............................... 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby del » Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:44 am

This is going to be difficult cause to sit in there I have to allow for a floor (not installed yet) and the mattress. For those that have installed them how far down from the ceiling is it?

del
del
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby angib » Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:03 pm

My rule of thumb is minimum 36" clearance to anything overhead from the middle of the mattress or seat cushion (assuming that's how far your backside compresses it). If you're over 6ft or nearer 5ft, you might want to adjust that up or down 2".

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby del » Sat Mar 24, 2007 9:47 pm

Soon I will need to put the shelf brace in (and make a decision) but first.
Progress

To set up for work on the inside of the door I clamped legs on to the section, then clamped the whole thing to a post. Maybe now it will not fall over (take that wind), and I can sit on my role around seat (my legs happier).

Now the actual build, I started to install braces on the inside of the door.
(the body is sitting on its side and your looking in from the front) The bracing closest to you is what the hinge mounts to, so added the three cross braces to spread the load across the door. I left space for the latch, on the far side. I did start (keyword started) fiberglassing the bracing in. Sorry about the strange angle, but it makes it easier to work on. Note, I have not started to brace above the window.

Fiberglass guru's how thick does (layers) this need to be, so it holds its shape with eighth inch ply?

thanks del :peace2: :peace2:
del
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby glassice » Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:54 am

Did you give a pull on that sample it 3 layers 1.5 mat & 1 layer of core how many spars are in the doors ,up and down and Right to left you want the spars to hold the shape of the doors like airplane wing
It is not the return ON my investment that I am concerned about; it is the return OF my investment
glassice
Silver Donating Member

Postby doug hodder » Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:12 am

del wrote:This is going to be difficult cause to sit in there I have to allow for a floor (not installed yet) and the mattress. For those that have installed them how far down from the ceiling is it?

del

Del...it's kind of up to you...got long arms...you can go higher...I figure that I want to be able to reach into them without having to sit up in bed...I put a trolley top in my tear, and had to think about that for the overhead light...It added another 6" to the height in the center, so put the light towards the front end as it tapers down...I just sort of winged it however...hope I can reach!! Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Kevin A » Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:29 am

doug hodder wrote:
del wrote:This is going to be difficult cause to sit in there I have to allow for a floor (not installed yet) and the mattress. For those that have installed them how far down from the ceiling is it?

del

Del...it's kind of up to you...got long arms...you can go higher...I figure that I want to be able to reach into them without having to sit up in bed...I put a trolley top in my tear, and had to think about that for the overhead light...It added another 6" to the height in the center, so put the light towards the front end as it tapers down...I just sort of winged it however...hope I can reach!! Doug

Doug,
I solved your lighting problem for ya,
Or ya can go for the,
ImageSorry Doug, I just had to do it... 8)
"Follow me, I'm right behind you"

ImageImage
Kevin A
The other guy

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals