The Locust

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:24 pm

Well, I don't have any miles on it yet, but it's held up through all the construction so far. I've used long splines like that in other projects and never had a problem. It gives a very large area of edge grain gluing surface, and aligns large panels quite well. Plus, it's easy to do. All you need is a slot cutter for your router, or you can slide your biscuit joiner sideways if you've got one of those.

-Greg

Okay, I practiced on some small scraps, and it looks easy enough. Pardon the incessant questions, but why did you stop, rather than go clear through the edge?

Cliff
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.
1 John 4:9-11

My Teardrop build pictures
Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Postby Greg M » Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:46 pm

Cliffmeister2000 wrote:Okay, I practiced on some small scraps, and it looks easy enough. Pardon the incessant questions, but why did you stop, rather than go clear through the edge?

Cliff

Mostly just habit. Most of the projects I've used a spline on have had exposed ends that I didn't want to see the spline in. There's no reason not to go right through to the end.

-Greg
Give a person a fish and you feed them for a day; teach a person to use the Internet and they won't bother you for weeks.
Greg M
*Geek Extraordinaire

I guess it's time to start a new thread...

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:39 pm

Gina (my wife) has given me permission to buy some plywood next payday! So I guess proper etiquette would be to start a new thread as I build. The question is, do I open it in "Non-traditional Designs" or in "Member designs"? It's gonna be a Weekender / Grasshopper, drawn heavily on Mike's suggestions, "Build as I go", and Joanne's Desert Dawg.

;)

Cliff
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.

Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Postby Greg M » Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:41 pm

Well, it's been a crazy ten days since my last update. First off, I couldn't skin the roof completely until Friday because my bending plywood was over a week late, even though it was just coming over from Vancouver (1 1/2 hour ferry trip away, Damn I get tired of living on an island).
The week wasn't completely wasted though. I moved the axle on the trailer back a foot, cut off the sides, ripped out the old decking, wire wheeled off the rust and paint, repainted, rewired, replaced the fenders, and added a tongue jack. Whew! :?
I also added a couple of upper cabinets to the galley, and started the inner cabinets.
Since Friday, I've skinned the body, filled the holes, sanded, and rolled on two coats of epoxy. Oh, I also managed to get the body up on to the frame, and secured :gas: :sneakers: :wakka wakka: :moom walk: :running man:

It's 9:30, and I've just come in from rolling on the second coat of epoxy, so I think it's that time... :beer:

-Greg
Give a person a fish and you feed them for a day; teach a person to use the Internet and they won't bother you for weeks.
Greg M
*Geek Extraordinaire

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:12 am

She looks sweet! :applause: I can't wait to see pictures of the galley!

- Cliff
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.

Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Postby steve wolverton » Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:54 pm

That looks really cool with the tight radius. :thumbsup:
�veni, vidi, vici.�
steve wolverton
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:07 pm

:applause: :applause: :thumbsup: :beautiful:
Wow that is a great design! Going to be really nice when it is finished. You are getting a lot done in a short time.

“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Greg M » Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:09 pm

Another busy day after work today. I washed down the epoxy to remove any amine blush, then sanded with 220 grit, vacuumed, wiped with rags, and then rolled on two coats of acrylic paint. I also put in the latches for the forward storage compartments and wired up the interior light.
48 hours and counting till I have to be buttoned up for the maiden voyage. Boy, is that clock starting to tick loudly :)

-Greg
Greg M
*Geek Extraordinaire

Postby Greg M » Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:14 pm

Well folks, I got the trailer campable just in time (6:00pm weds for a 6:00am ferry) for the maiden voyage. I didn't have time then for pics, and I forgot the camera at home, so fere are a couple of what the Locust looks like now:

It pulled beautifully. I hardly knew it was there behind my minivan, and I rolled right down the road with a smile on my face.
Setup in camp was quite fast. I simple uncoupled from the van, rolled it into location by hand and then put a car jack under each corner as levelers. I'd like to make an adapter so I can crank the jacks up and down with my cordless drill. Yeah, I'm that lazy :) Even though I was in a shaded site, I popped the AC into it's opening and ran it for an hour or so, then decided it was unnecessary and turned it off. I don't think the sun ever directly hit the trailer, and it never warmed up to the point where I felt it was needed.
The trip was to Fort Stevens state park, outside Astoria Oregon, and the Pacific Northwest being what it is, we got plenty of rain. It came down in buckets early Friday morning, and remained overcast for most of the day. Saturday started of gray and turned to rain mid afternoon, and didn't let up until Sunday morning. Throughout those two days not a drop entered the sleeping area.
The hatch was a different story. I hadn't had time to epoxy the hatch before throwing on the paint, and I haven't found a good seal yet either, so there was a bit of water in the galley area. Not much, but a bit. The plan is to strip down the hatch and epoxy it properly. I also ran out of time with the latches to hold the hatch closed and ended up throwing a couple of padlock type shackles on. These didn't provide much if any pressure for the hatch against the weather stripping, and therefore allowed a more significant amount of water in when driving home in the rain.
I only have a cheap piano hinge installed on the door a this point and it too leaked when driving home through the rain. I'll cover it up with some rubber and aluminum later as well.
I've still got plenty of work to do, but overall I'm really very pleased with how it's working so far. I'll get back to work in a week or so, after I get through the honey do list that's been building up over the last couple of months.

-Greg
Greg M
*Geek Extraordinaire

Postby Miriam C. » Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:18 pm

:applause: :applause: :applause: :thumbsup: :P :woohoo: :beautiful: :wakka wakka:
It is a beauty Greg. I am so jealous. I wish I could get the tiny stuff done too. Grant has a good seal for the hatch and doors. Also you can get some Auto/Marine seal that will work. If you put a seal on the hinge side of the door opening it should keep the water out. :thumbsup:

Enjoy the last of summer now. ;)
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby wa_flyfisher » Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:23 am

Glad to hear that your maiden voyage was a sucess.
Too bad you probably had to sit in the I-5 mess in Seattle coming home though, unless you took the Port Townsend to Victoria ferry home.
wa_flyfisher
Teardrop Master

Postby Rem » Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:21 pm

Any idea yet on the weight of the locust?
Rem
Teardrop Master

Postby Greg M » Sun Sep 30, 2007 3:32 pm

Rem wrote:Any idea yet on the weight of the locust?

Not yet. I've been having tow vehicle troubles, so I haven't made it to the highway weigh station yet.

-Greg
Greg M
*Geek Extraordinaire

Spring's here. Time to get back to work

Postby Greg M » Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:00 am

Well, the sun is shining again. Finally! I suppose it's time to get back to work. I added a diamond plate rock guard today. It nicely covers up the indented spot on the front where the bendy ply and the baltic birch come together. I had thought I'd fill that area until I decided on the aluminum.
I've pretty much given up on the idea of re-skinning in aluminum because it's just too expensive to get five foot wide stock around here. So, the plan now is to go with a crosslinked paint but still trim it out as though it were covered in aluminum.
Inside I've been toying with the idea of staining the lower part of the birch walls and trimming them out to look like wainscoting. The upper half would be painted.
I'm also going to try flipping the axle to the top of the springs to lower the overall height a few inches.
Lots to do. I hope the weather holds out. I'd like to have the exterior work done by Spring Fling.

Here's the latest pic, so Auntie M doesn't get upset :)

-Greg

Greg M
*Geek Extraordinaire

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:04 am

She's Beautiful!

- Cliff
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.

Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member