The Locust

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby Miriam C. » Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:25 pm

;) Ya gotta keep the bubble oil level ya know. Nice to see you have it outside. Did it ride the winter in the cover?

Beautiful as it is. :thumbsup:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Greg M » Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:06 pm

Miriam C. wrote: Did it ride the winter in the cover?

Yup. You'll see that I put a tarp down as a floor. Without it there was so much moisture coming up through the ground that the inside of the shelter was permanently wet. I added the tarp and it dried right out.

-Greg
Give a person a fish and you feed them for a day; teach a person to use the Internet and they won't bother you for weeks.
Greg M
*Geek Extraordinaire

Postby pete.wilson » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:56 am

Hey

Greg, looking good. What primer and/or paint did you use? Brush/roller or spray? Thanks

Pete Wilson
Why hasn't anyone found a dead bigfoot? When was the last time you found a dead deer, bear, coyote, fox, squirrel, etc. that died in the woods.........Hmmm.
pete.wilson
The 300 Club

Postby Greg M » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:42 pm

pete.wilson wrote: What primer and/or paint did you use? Brush/roller or spray?

Thanks, Pete

Right now that's just an exterior latex that I rolled on "temporarily" over the epoxy back in August. The plan is to sand that off, fair the epoxy more (maybe add another coat) and paint with a crosslinked polyurethane. Probably System Three WR-LPU. I'll have to roll it on, unless I can convince my wife that I really do need that HVLP setup I've been dreaming about :twisted:

-Greg
Give a person a fish and you feed them for a day; teach a person to use the Internet and they won't bother you for weeks.
Greg M
*Geek Extraordinaire

Postby peggyearlchris » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:58 pm

Wow! Greg, It sure is pretty. Great job there. Have fun camping. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Peg
peggyearlchris
500 Club

Postby Greg M » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:22 am

peggyearlchris wrote:Wow! Greg, It sure is pretty. Great job there. Have fun camping. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Peg

Thanks Peg,

Your project doesn't look too shabby either, and at least you've got a full time supervisor :)

-Greg
Greg M
*Geek Extraordinaire

Finally back to work

Postby Greg M » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:07 am

How do you know when I've got a trip planned? Easy, I get back to work on the Locust :)
I'm off to the Recumbent Retreat Thursday, so I've been doing my usual mad scramble to get a few more things done before I go. I figure I'm two more trips from being done, maybe three :lol:
So, heres what I've been up to. I've been re-doing the galley in plastic laminate:
Carpeting the ceiling ($20 at Home Depot for 6x8, thin indoor outdoor carpet):
And working on the speaker cabinets for the surround sound system:

I've got two more days before I go. I wonder what other trouble I can get up to?

-Greg
Greg M
*Geek Extraordinaire

Postby halfdome, Danny » Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:58 am

Looking great Greg :thumbsup: . Laying plam in a built box is difficult as I know. From the pictures it looks like you did a fine job and are using the fast edge tape on the plywood edges. Any gaps are easily filled with a crayon or soft putty. Seamfil is too expensive and why buy the kit when cheaper remedies are available. I like Kranky too, nice job. Forwarded your website to a friend in California who has several high end recumbents. He'll enjoy seeing yours. :D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby Greg M » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:42 am

halfdome, Danny wrote: Any gaps are easily filled with a crayon or soft putty. Seamfil is too expensive and why buy the kit when cheaper remedies are available.

Thanks Danny.
I'll be sealing the gaps with some black caulking. I figure it'll hide my mistakes and help keep water out :thumbsup:
I was going to bring Kranky with me to Spring Fling, but I didn't quite have the space. Considering what the weather turned out to be, it was probably a good thing :roll:
The greatest compliment I've received on Kranky was when a high end recumbent manufacturer asked me if it was the new model from one of his competitors.

See you down the road.

-Greg
Greg M
*Geek Extraordinaire

Previous

Return to Build Journals