Rose Rolls - The unathorized Compass Rose autobiography

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby Sparksalot » Sat May 31, 2008 11:05 pm

Almost time to start templates.

I have the profile drawn (parts swiped from Angib) and printed in both fun size and full size. Masonite is at the ready.

I think I'm gonna do the rounded door. I swiped that idea from the Generic Benroy. Thanks Mike.

Holy cow, Rose is a teenager now! Done? Surely you jest. A teardrop is never "done".

The Compass Rose build thread: viewtopic.php?t=23213

Inspiration: http://tnttt.com/Design_Library/Trailer%20for%20Two.htm

It's got a cop motor, a 5.3 LS plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. ~ Elwood Blues
Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Postby Nitetimes » Sat May 31, 2008 11:58 pm

The name kinda has me wondering.....this isn't gonna go the way of Rose Red is it?? Could be a little unnerving if it just keeps growing and is haunted.
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:11 am

The profile looks good.

But regarding the saw horses, isn't this what the scouts had in mind?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Miriam C. » Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:32 am

Sparksalot wrote:Almost time to start templates.

I have the profile drawn (parts swiped from Angib) and printed in both fun size and full size. Masonite is at the ready.

I think I'm gonna do the rounded door. I swiped that idea from the Generic Benroy. Thanks Mike.

The profile looks good except for the hump on the rear top. You need to be sure water will run off the top or you will have to deal with "the lake" after you trim it. :oops:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Sparksalot » Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:26 am

Nitetimes wrote:Could be a little unnerving if it just keeps growing and is haunted.

Youbetcha, she wouldn't fit the garage anymore. :cry:
Holy cow, Rose is a teenager now! Done? Surely you jest. A teardrop is never "done".

It's got a cop motor, a 5.3 LS plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. ~ Elwood Blues
Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Postby Sparksalot » Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:28 am

Well, we could have gone that route, but at the expense of TD build time.

mikeschn wrote:The profile looks good.

But regarding the saw horses, isn't this what the scouts had in mind?

Mike...

Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Postby Sparksalot » Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:30 am

Miriam C. wrote:The profile looks good except for the hump on the rear top. You need to be sure water will run off the top or you will have to deal with "the lake" after you trim it. :oops:

I think the camera angle exagerates that. I took a picture, from an angle, of a letter size plot. There is really just a flat area slightly wider than a vent fan when viewed dead on.

Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Postby Sparksalot » Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:00 pm

We have visible progress this weekend after a trip to a woodworker spot for some 4x10 red oak plywood.

The full size pattern is unfurled.

The first cuts are finished. Oh Lord, at $130 a sheet, please be good.

The Princess Helper banishes sawdust!

The Working Stiff revs up the belt sander to match the sides. I'm glad I didn't try to cut the sides together, the durn jigsaw blade sure enjoys wandering.

Cross check again the pattern. It's almost time to cut the relief notches for the hatch.

Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Postby 2bits » Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:44 pm

Nice work! I almost got the Red Oak too. I know I was VERY nervous and procrastinated a little to cut the walls, but once I started cutting, I realized I still was just cutting wood and it was no big deal. I like the profile too, I'll have to come by sometime and trade ideas! Keith in Garland has a similar profile to yours and his is finished up to the face frame stage.

What's the final plan for the exterior? Woody, aluminum or both? I am doing stained wood on the sides and black aluminum on the top.

As far as getting it legal, I think that's a personal preference on how closely you want to follow the letter of the law. Personally, I will be getting trailer tags and just running them.

Oh, I like the name too, creative and logical!
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby Sparksalot » Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:04 pm

2bits wrote:What's the final plan for the exterior? Woody, aluminum or both? I am doing stained wood on the sides and black aluminum on the top.

I'm still planning on a woody. I haven't decided if I want to stain the sides or not. For the roof, it'll either be silver aluminum or the diamond plate vinyl like Warpony has.

Oh, I like the name too, creative and logical!

Thanks. I had to let my inner geek out.

Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Postby 2bits » Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:12 am

I took cut offs from my profile and bought a few of those little cans of stain and did samples to decide what I wanted.
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby Sparksalot » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:28 pm

I've got a few pieces I could try that with. MY CPES order should be in tomorrow.

I've still got to cut the doors out, I'm not quite sure how I'm going to do that yet. A plugne cut with the circular saw will work for most of it, but the 18" R curve I want is a bit more challenging.

Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Postby 2bits » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:11 pm

I mulled over this for a while when I was doing it... :?

Then I remembered you need a 1/4" gap between the door and the side wall anyway so you don't have to be perfectly exact along just one line. I used a plunge cut with the jigsaw to cut the door out first on the outer dimension, then the second cut was to trim the door to the inner dimension and belt sanded it where I wanted it. Hope this helps.

Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby Sparksalot » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:31 pm

thanks for the picture!

I have not found a lot of info on the door gaps or the seals/trim on the door edges. Current research I'm doing.

This is fun :)

Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Postby 2bits » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:50 pm

Grant is a good source for seals and trim and the little things that we go searching for all the time. I think I got most if not all of my answers right here in the forum! I asked alot of questions, but I learned ten times as much just looking at photos and reading other peoples real world experiences!
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals