Rose Rolls - The unathorized Compass Rose autobiography

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby del » Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:41 am

Here is a drawing given me when I built my doors. Your wall will be thicker and strait up and down. The black is a seal, the red a rain gutter.

hope this helps del
del
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Sparksalot » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:05 pm

I already have a pretty good list of stuff I'll order from Grant. I want to group just about everything together and order one time.

The wealth of knowledge here is awesome. I read old threads as often as possible to glean more info.

2bits wrote:Grant is a good source for seals and trim and the little things that we go searching for all the time. I think I got most if not all of my answers right here in the forum! I asked alot of questions, but I learned ten times as much just looking at photos and reading other peoples real world experiences!
Holy cow, Rose is a teenager now! Done? Surely you jest. A teardrop is never "done".

The Compass Rose build thread: viewtopic.php?t=23213

Inspiration: http://tnttt.com/Design_Library/Trailer%20for%20Two.htm

It's got a cop motor, a 5.3 LS plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. ~ Elwood Blues
Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Postby Sparksalot » Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:39 am

del wrote:Here is a drawing given me when I built my doors. Your wall will be thicker and strait up and down. The black is a seal, the red a rain gutter.

hope this helps del

I've got most of it worked out, but seeing ideas sure helps.
Holy cow, Rose is a teenager now! Done? Surely you jest. A teardrop is never "done".

It's got a cop motor, a 5.3 LS plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. ~ Elwood Blues
Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

On with the pictures!

Postby Sparksalot » Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:51 am

Matched side wall skins. The working Stiff did good work. He even did the hatch relief already.

Door pattern is laid out.

The Stiff marks the second door.

Examination and sawdust removal. we sure didn't want to hit the scout project sawhorse.

An idea I swiped from 2bits. Instead of clamping a guide rail inplace I screwed it down since I will have an insulated wall and an inner skin.

Both sides with the lower edge finished.

They comes in pairs! Next order of materials will be from Grant.

Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Postby 2bits » Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:03 am

Smooth doors! I like that wood grain too.

Wow, I thought of something good enough to swipe! Awesome! :lol: I didn't want any of my frame to show, and a rabbet just seemed the simplest way. I actually had to cut it twice, I don't know what I was thinking the first time, but I didn't cut it deep enough, the second cut I believe was right at 4" up from the bottom. That actually hangs lower than needed, where I had to cut an axle notch, but I had to cut that high for the profile to line up with the front and rear of the floor correctly because the length of the floor stays the same but the length of the route line changes with the depth of the route, so keep that in mind so they are the same when you install! I just laid my wall flat on it's side and pulled it over the edge equally until the profile end met the floor and I knew that was how deep to cut. You may not have this problem at all, but that's what I ran in to.

Looking good!
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby Sparksalot » Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:53 am

2bits wrote:Smooth doors! I like that wood grain too.

Thanks. I've wanted a really nice woodie, so hopefully the time spent pays off.

Wow, I thought of something good enough to swipe! Awesome! :lol: I didn't want any of my frame to show, and a rabbet just seemed the simplest way. I actually had to cut it twice, I don't know what I was thinking the first time, but I didn't cut it deep enough, the second cut I believe was right at 4" up from the bottom. That actually hangs lower than needed, where I had to cut an axle notch, but I had to cut that high for the profile to line up with the front and rear of the floor correctly because the length of the floor stays the same but the length of the route line changes with the depth of the route, so keep that in mind so they are the same when you install! I just laid my wall flat on it's side and pulled it over the edge equally until the profile end met the floor and I knew that was how deep to cut. You may not have this problem at all, but that's what I ran in to.

Looking good!

I wanted to come down over the side of the wood floor framing. I'm planning to either leave the metal frame exposed or have some trim method I can remove to perform periodic bolt inspection and maintenance.

Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Postby Sparksalot » Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:55 pm

2bits wrote:Smooth doors! I like that wood grain too.

Check it out with 3 light coats of CPES.

Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Postby Miriam C. » Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:21 pm

:applause: :thumbsup: Wonderful grain on the wood. Looks like your helper is doing a great job of it. :thumbsup:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby 2bits » Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:30 pm

Is that the only thing you did? No stain? It looks GREAT! !! I would like to come by sometime you are putting a coat on if it is ok. I've never worked with this stuff. I work up in Frisco.
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby Sparksalot » Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:36 pm

Miriam C. wrote::applause: :thumbsup: Wonderful grain on the wood.

Thanks, I'm hopeful the finished product will look great.
Looks like your helper is doing a great job of it. :thumbsup:

He's doing a good job, in between sessions with his nintendo.

Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Postby Sparksalot » Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:38 pm

2bits wrote:Is that the only thing you did? No stain? It looks GREAT! !! I would like to come by sometime you are putting a coat on if it is ok. I've never worked with this stuff. I work up in Frisco.

Nope, no stain. I had thoughts of possible varnish, but may go for a clear coat of some kind instead. We'll see.

I'm finished with the CPES for now, but will need to do the doors and roof skin sometime soon.

Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Postby Sparksalot » Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:41 pm

We started the day laying out wall guts. Only some, mainly to help give the walls a lip to sit on and the bulkhead framing to help square it all up.

My very own, hey look the profile is standing against the fence shot.

The Working Stiff checking his work. Didn't fall through, must be OK.

We have Stand Up! Why is The Stiff smiling?

New model features 2, count 'em 2, walls.

First peek at the cabin. The two odd pieces are just right angles for square up. They will go away once the bulkhead is skinned on one side.

Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Postby Sparksalot » Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:01 pm

As soon as we awoke this morning, she asked to go play in our trailer.

Chilling with a good book

Already decorating. Christmas in June??

Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Postby Sparksalot » Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:05 pm

Whaddayaknow, there is a limit to what a 5 gal bucket can do. I had the jacks ready to go anyway. A side benefit is being able to level the entire chassis before I started to really tie the structure togehter. No need building a wracked body.

Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Postby Sparksalot » Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:12 pm

The framing for the lower bulkhead was finished up. Side rails for the galley counter/cabin shelf were also installed. Note the Princess Decorator has been at it again.

Time to think pink before the second skin goes on.

Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals