'Mental Floss' build update...

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby fireaunt » Mon May 12, 2008 6:23 pm

that tongue box is awesome! Are there curlers in the sun's rays?

Marilyn :thinking:
fireaunt
500 Club

Postby Steve_Cox » Mon May 12, 2008 6:31 pm

Kristi,

So glad you are posting again, and I really like what you are doing, the art work, the port holes, the really nice clean lines of the hatch. The pictures look great :thumbsup: I was just wondering last week where you were, and here you are! :lol: Thanks for the update and sharing your pictures.
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby forestfrog » Tue May 13, 2008 1:10 am

Thanks everyone for the very kind compliments and encouragements, they're very much appreciated (and will help keep me motivated, LOL)!! :)

dreadcptflint wrote:Do you have a better shot of your sun? I can't make out what you did with left hand side.

The two suns came from the garden center at Lowes. I sanded them down, painted them 'hammered copper', and drilled dozens of mounting holes. They're attached to the walls with 5/8" smooth hex head wood screws. I do wish the 'curls' went all the way around, instead of half/half though.

mandy wrote:How do you do the windows?

The window and porthole frame are one piece (hinged to open upward) with a rubber seal sandwiched between the porthole frame and the surface of the door. There's a threaded insert hidden under the bottom 'button' on the porthole...a knob with a threaded rod screws into the insert from inside the cabin and pulls the window tight against the door to compress the seal. Sorry, that's probably as clear as mud, LOL! :oops: I used a fine grit abrasive sponge to 'etch' the moon on the window...

All of the hardware for the 'lock':

If you popped off the bottom button on the porthole this is what you'd see from the outside:

Reverse:

Plain wooden cabinet knob with a threaded insert added:
Kristi
~*~Stand still and be awed by Nature...~*~
forestfrog
Teardrop Master

Postby jp03 » Tue May 13, 2008 12:44 pm

"out of the box" thinking, very nice work indeed. Keep it up! 8)
jp03
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Miriam C. » Tue May 13, 2008 6:32 pm

Image wow you are almost campable. It is really beautiful Kristi. I just love that window! :thumbsup:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby neal b » Tue May 13, 2008 7:01 pm

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: keep up the great work :applause: :applause:
neal b
The 300 Club

Postby del » Tue May 13, 2008 7:36 pm

forestfrog wrote:Thanks everyone for the very kind compliments and encouragements, they're very much appreciated (and will help keep me motivated, LOL)!! :)

dreadcptflint wrote:Do you have a better shot of your sun? I can't make out what you did with left hand side.

The two suns came from the garden center at Lowes. I sanded them down, painted them 'hammered copper', and drilled dozens of mounting holes. They're attached to the walls with 5/8" smooth hex head wood screws. I do wish the 'curls' went all the way around, instead of half/half though.

mandy wrote:How do you do the windows?

The window and porthole frame are one piece (hinged to open upward) with a rubber seal sandwiched between the porthole frame and the surface of the door. There's a threaded insert hidden under the bottom 'button' on the porthole...a knob with a threaded rod screws into the insert from inside the cabin and pulls the window tight against the door to compress the seal. Sorry, that's probably as clear as mud, LOL! :oops: I used a fine grit abrasive sponge to 'etch' the moon on the window...

All of the hardware for the 'lock':

If you popped off the bottom button on the porthole this is what you'd see from the outside:

Reverse:

Plain wooden cabinet knob with a threaded insert added:
Looks good, I hope you do not mind if I steal some window ideas.

del
del
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby BillyLandry » Tue May 13, 2008 8:53 pm

Thanks for sharing Kristi. Great looking trailer, hope to see it at LCG111.
:applause: :applause: :applause:
"It's not the qualifications--It's the willingnest."
BillyLandry
Donating Member

Postby peggyearlchris » Wed May 14, 2008 9:16 pm

Wow Kristi. Awesome td.You are doing great. I love it. I hope to see it in July. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: Peg
peggyearlchris
500 Club

Postby Beachbuggy » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:42 am

Awesome job!
My husband and I are building our first teardrop right now, going for a "beachy" theme. I just love those porthole windows, and am figuring out a way to incorporate them into ours. Thanks for the inspiration and ideas!
Beachbuggy
Teardrop Master

Postby AmyH » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:14 am

Kristi, that is one totally cool teardrop you're building! :thumbsup: I love all the wonderful creative touches you have added, it really makes it unique and fun! Glad to see you back around again. :D
Amy
"...follow humbly whereever and to whatever abyss Nature leads, or else you shall learn nothing." T.H. Huxley

Photo Log
Camping Trips with the Tear
AmyH
*The 300 Club

Postby tinksdad » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:31 am

Kristi...(since everybody else is calling you Kristi, I hope you don't mind if I do as well).

I couldn't help but look at your album after the teaser pics in this thread. The titles on some of the ones on Page 4 caught my eye. Glad to see another geocacher here!! TD's and caching just seem to be meant for each other, especially on those weekend long cache runs!!

BTW.... cool trailer!!!
tinksdad
500 Club

Postby Mauleskinner » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:51 pm

Very cool! 8) 8) 8)

Am I seeing that the tongue box is accessible from inside the tear? That seems like a good idea...have some cabinetry at the front that you won't hit your head on... :? :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

David
Mauleskinner
The 300 Club

Postby forestfrog » Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:25 pm

Thanks y'all! I haven't gotten alot done lately, but I hope to get back to work soon! The hatch is painted and wired now and the galley cabinets are partially finished. I'll try to get some new pics next time I pull her out of the carport.

tinksdad wrote: TD's and caching just seem to be meant for each other, especially on those weekend long cache runs!!

Definitely a good combination!! I haven't done much caching lately either, but plan on getting started again in the fall. I have a new regular cache and a multi/hydro ready to go out too...just need more hours in the day, lol!

Mauleskinner wrote:Am I seeing that the tongue box is accessible from inside the tear?

The top part is a shelf accessible from the inside only. The small bottom compartment is accessible from the outside only and holds wheel chocks, extension cords, etc... The large bottom compartment holds the air conditioner during the summer and can be used for extra storage during the fall/winter.
Kristi
~*~Stand still and be awed by Nature...~*~
forestfrog
Teardrop Master

Postby cccamper » Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:38 pm

Kristi this is wonderful. Soon as I saw it my own juices started flowing on what I would have done if we had been able to build. Now that is inspiration!

We assume you will have the obligatory flamingo? :designing:

I've got HappyFeet now, gotta get up!

Elizabeth
Robert and Elizabeth - "e"
Guppy the Tiny Teardrop

"Naked people have little to no influence
on society." - - Mark Twain
cccamper
Platinum Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals