Frosteez "Just Chillin'" (New pics - HF Axle flip)

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby Sparksalot » Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:51 pm

Thanks for the update on the fender mount,I've been curious. Looks like ya'll had fun!

cdfnchico wrote:OK...the fender mount was a BAAAAAD idea....they shook like crazy! Despite a sturdier mount than my last picture...the movement sheared both U Bolts on one side our first time out! Then the welds weakened...finally just had to bust one off...it was not fun!

Have spent the week revisiting the fender mounts...as we have a week long trip planned for the 4th next week. Will post pics as soon as we get 'er done!

On the plus side....the camping was awesome! The side tent worked great...and tho we went through a thunderstorm on our way home...no leaks!!

Holy cow, Rose is a teenager now! Done? Surely you jest. A teardrop is never "done".

The Compass Rose build thread: viewtopic.php?t=23213

Inspiration: http://tnttt.com/Design_Library/Trailer%20for%20Two.htm

It's got a cop motor, a 5.3 LS plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. ~ Elwood Blues
Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Postby cdfnchico » Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:54 am

Oops...time for another update...after our aborted Father's Day Trip, we shifted into high gear in order to get ready for our upcoming trip to Lake Almanor for a week of camping over the 4th of July. Had to complete the Pet Cool installation before this outing as my mom was joining me for the week and would need respite!

So, we used pvc couplers…trimming one end so they fit flush…

Both holes are held in the cabin with a flat washer/nut.

Pet Cool rides on the galley floor; with Coleman stove above it….upon arrival, and stove’s removal, it must sit on a little shelf so that the holes in the bulkhead could be placed high enough for the bedding not to interfere. The controls face the bulkhead, however… so we simply unplug to turn on and off. Worked pretty well. We may eventually put a kill switch for the galley outlet inside the cabin. For now we are only using it with the hatch propped; soon we’ll be putting a vent in the side.

PS Camping at Almanor was perfect. Mom and I spent the week up there with all three boys. They slept in the sidetent. Mom enjoyed the Pet Cool in the afternoons for a nap while we boated and such. Canopy set up was perfect. (Pics next time!)
Cathy
Build thread - Just Chillin'
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=25151

cdfnchico
Donating Member

Postby cdfnchico » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:09 am

Now that we're preparing for our first long trip with the tear, we're working on some details...lined the hatch with 1/8 baltic birch. Cut it to width and and approximate length, mounted it and then routed it for a clean finish. Hauled it to the Durham Classic Car Show, so our neighbor...who's been a big help, could show it with his ’57 Chevy. Lots of attention…!

Oh yeah...we put in out hatch supports a couple of weeks ago...we used hinges to make swinging supports that stow against the hatch. Covered galvanized pipe with black friction tape...looks pretty nice.

We carpeted the galley using the carpet tiles we picked up from Costco for another project..finished it off with 1" aluminum angle...we have a scrap of diamond plate that will go along the bottom eventually.

Friday we leave for a 10 day trip thru the Northwest...Astoria, Columbia River, Mt Hood, Seattle. Can't wait...wil post an update soon.
Cathy

cdfnchico
Donating Member

Postby cdfnchico » Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:05 pm

It's been awhile! Our summer vacation was documented in another thread...suffice to say it was awesome! The tear performed as expected and we got in a few more roadtrips before this season is comes to a close.

A few more build notes...we did get our fenders mounted. Welded some one inch steel bar into brackets that cinch right up onto the mount for the leaf springs. Then ran a bolt through. They are quite solid now...and will come off this winter for a final paint and finish now that we're done.

We also got the wooden trim on across the bottom. We still need to mount the diamond plate across the rear and are thinking on some kind of rear bumper.

...Stay tuned!

Cathy

cdfnchico
Donating Member

Postby SIXTOTWO » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:14 am

Lookin' mighty fine!!! :thumbsup:
Terry and Sue Landis
BUILD THREAD
Image Image
******Embarassing our kids, just another quality service that we offer!******
SIXTOTWO
Donating Member

Postby 2bits » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:35 am

cdfnchico wrote:Image

Wow! looks like this needs to be your new signature pic! Or at least hang it on the wall or something! Very nice! I enjoyed reading your build. I cropped and resized this cool pic to match your face photo just because :lol: Here ya go

Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby cdfnchico » Fri May 14, 2010 1:41 am

After the Dam Gathering we were inspired to get busy...so we flipped the axle on our HF trailer last weekend. Wanted everything to ride a little lower. We had done all our research and took the plunge. Went as planned for the most part.

Had to have a couple custom plates made as the originals were already curved a tad,

Lowered everything two inches...now we have to have the fender brackets extended :( (They're just sitting on a box) I'll post a better pic soon.

Notice the door stops...magnetic...look good and worked fine!

Guess we'll never be done! Sure enjoyed ourselves at the gathering...lot's of nice people! Looking forward to IRG!
Cathy

cdfnchico
Donating Member

Postby cdfnchico » Sun May 16, 2010 6:45 pm

Finally trimmed the inside...needed something flexible enough to make the front radius...thought about rope ...and then found some flexible oak dentil moulding here http://tinyurl.com/2c6ok62 for about $5 for 4'. It has a paper backing...can be trimmed to any length.Stained it a little darker than the interior...

Cathy

cdfnchico
Donating Member

Re: Frosteez "Just Chillin'" (New pics - HF Axle flip)

Postby Sparksalot » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:26 pm

I’ve been making more or less continuous updates to Rose since I started camping in her. I did the axle flip in 2016 and wondered why I didn’t do that sooner.
Holy cow, Rose is a teenager now! Done? Surely you jest. A teardrop is never "done".

The Compass Rose build thread: viewtopic.php?t=23213

Inspiration: http://tnttt.com/Design_Library/Trailer%20for%20Two.htm

It's got a cop motor, a 5.3 LS plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. ~ Elwood Blues
Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Previous

Return to Build Journals