Frosteez "Just Chillin'" (New pics - HF Axle flip)

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Serious Progress!!

Postby cdfnchico » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:12 am

We sent baby to get painted last week and got her back on Friday. It looks really good! We decided to have it painted to match the CRV tow vehicle, tho we did give serious consideration to how much hotter it would be. It really does look amazing...we keep walking around looking at each other smiling! We're still trying to get 'er campable by the Dam Gathering...3 DAYS from now!!..so we've been busy.
This weekend, our son Dave polished the aluminum strap that will be running the length, overlapping the edge of the as yet uninstalled wooden trim. We predrilled all the holes for the aluminum strap...prior to painting, so reinstalling trim should go fast...we hope! We're painting the wooden trim gloss black.
We have finished getting the tongue box ready, with battery, tender, shore power, etc. Will mount manana. We installed the Fantastic Fan without a hitch, and permanently attached the hatch hinge (which was removed for painting) and wired the hatch. (Lights work!) Played around with fenders...may wait for the great minds at the DG to offer suggestions. Bought the diamond plate for the front.
So..will we make it??? I hope so!! We're burning the midnight oil!
Cathy
Build thread - Just Chillin'
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=25151

cdfnchico
Donating Member

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:32 am

It's beautiful, Cathy! :applause:

I hope you get the aluminum on before you tow it too far... :thinking: You don't want to mess up the paint!
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.
1 John 4:9-11

My Teardrop build pictures
Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Postby Miriam C. » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:41 am

:o Oh how absolutely beautiful is that. I might paint mine after all. Was it expensive? Do you have the name of the color. :woohoo: :beautiful:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby cdfnchico » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:25 am

Thanks Cliff, Miriam. We'll get the trim and the diamond plate on before we head out! The paint color is "Tango Red Pearl". A friend of ours shot it for a lot less than we would have had to pay commercially; we bought the paint and gave him a couple hundred dollars...more than we should have spent probably...but we like it!
Cathy

cdfnchico
Donating Member

Postby Sparksalot » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:30 pm

It's turning out very nice. :thumbsup:
Holy cow, Rose is a teenager now! Done? Surely you jest. A teardrop is never "done".

The Compass Rose build thread: viewtopic.php?t=23213

Inspiration: http://tnttt.com/Design_Library/Trailer%20for%20Two.htm

It's got a cop motor, a 5.3 LS plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. ~ Elwood Blues
Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Postby planovet » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:20 pm

cdfnchico wrote:we bought the paint and gave him a couple hundred dollars

I'd say that was a good deal. It looks great! :thumbsup:
ImageMark (& Cindi)
Visit our website: Little Swiss Teardrop

I was wondering why the water balloon was getting bigger... and then it hit me.

ImageImageImageImage
planovet
The Cat Man

Postby cdfnchico » Sun May 03, 2009 11:46 pm

Well we didn't make it to the dam... :thumbdown: ...tho campable...we weren't waterproof! and I was sick...and it just wouldn't stop raining! But here is an update anyway...

We got the wooden trim on the tear...will be using some 1 1/2" aluminum angle mounted to the hatch to mount hatch trim...but lost our oomph when we realized we wouldn't be making it to the gathering. There will also be a 2" aluminum strap overlapping the wooden trim.
Got the diamond plate on the front. Looks great! Finished the edges with chrome door trim...it's uv treated so should last awhile.
It is so true that 95% done means you've done 50% of the work...
Cathy

cdfnchico
Donating Member

Time for an update!!

Postby cdfnchico » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:08 pm

In the flurry of activity trying to make it to the Dam Gathering, I left out some updated pics. Leo did get the tongue box mounted and wired and shore power inlet installed.

He did a great job on the interior...nice and neat. Tho you can't see it in the photos, the battery box is vented to the outside using pvc.

Taillights and license plates installed. Went with LED lights. The bottom will be finished with diamond plate.
Cathy

cdfnchico
Donating Member

More update

Postby cdfnchico » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:26 pm

We are now shooting for the Jefferson State Father's Day Gathering as a kickoff trip. The unseasonably cool weather here in NorCal is making working on the tear in the evenings really pleasant!
We did get the aluminum strap glued and screwed on. Used a poly sealer underneath. Looks sweet!

Cabin is campable. We went with a simple shelf with a rail. I just installed the lucite bin on each wall. We'll use it like a nightstand for glasses, water, books, keys & such. I got them at IKEA for $5. I put some of that bumpy shelf liner on the bottom. They're removable when you're making the bed & stuff.

And the galley is also campable...tho unfinished. We still need to line the inside of the hatch & put drawers in & stuff...but so far, so good!

We kerfed some 1 1/2" aluminum angle and are gonna mount the wooden hatch trim this weekend. We'll then mount the aluminum strap on it also.
Cathy

cdfnchico
Donating Member

Fenders!!

Postby cdfnchico » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:40 pm

Fenders, finally!! We had a friend help us out ...he and my brother fabricated a bracket that lets us use the HF fenders for now...and doesn't mount through the plywood side. Slightly overbuilt but...it works!!

They replaced the U-Bolt with a longer one. The bracket mounts between the plate and the axle.

We'll use bolts to mount the fenders to the frame. Progress..anyway!!

That's it for now!
Cathy

cdfnchico
Donating Member

Re: Fenders!!

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:11 pm

cdfnchico wrote:They replaced the U-Bolt with a longer one. The bracket mounts between the plate and the axle.

Cathy, your trailer looks fabulous! :thumbsup: :applause:

I would like to suggest you put a nut between the normal u-bolt mounting spot and the fabricated strap. That soft strap will bend soon enough, and your axle might try to take advantage of its new found freedon and wander!
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.
1 John 4:9-11

My Teardrop build pictures
Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Re: Fenders!!

Postby cdfnchico » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:31 am

Cliffmeister2000 wrote:I would like to suggest you put a nut between the normal u-bolt mounting spot and the fabricated strap. That soft strap will bend soon enough, and your axle might try to take advantage of its new found freedon and wander!

Thanks for the concern Cliff... that's not quite the final mount...I just slipped it in for a pic...everything should be snugged up tight!
Cathy

cdfnchico
Donating Member

Postby kennyrayandersen » Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:47 pm

interesting fender mount -- giving me an idea! :thumbsup:
kennyrayandersen
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby cdfnchico » Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:04 am

OK...the fender mount was a BAAAAAD idea....they shook like crazy! Despite a sturdier mount than my last picture...the movement sheared both U Bolts on one side our first time out! Then the welds weakened...finally just had to bust one off...it was not fun!

Have spent the week revisiting the fender mounts...as we have a week long trip planned for the 4th next week. Will post pics as soon as we get 'er done!

On the plus side....the camping was awesome! The side tent worked great...and tho we went through a thunderstorm on our way home...no leaks!!

Cathy

cdfnchico
Donating Member

Postby kennyrayandersen » Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:36 am

[quote="cdfnchico"]OK...the fender mount was a BAAAAAD idea....they shook like crazy! Despite a sturdier mount than my last picture...the movement sheared both U Bolts on one side our first time out! Then the welds weakened...finally just had to bust one off...it was not fun!

Have spent the week revisiting the fender mounts...as we have a week long trip planned for the 4th next week. Will post pics as soon as we get 'er done!

On the plus side....the camping was awesome! The side tent worked great...and tho we went through a thunderstorm on our way home...no leaks!!

/quote]

OOPS -- This is not an uncommon occurrence during FSD (full scale development). Next, revision A. I guess mounting on the body might not be a bad deal after all -- it doesn't move so much. Incidentally a question comes up now and again about NOT using suspension on a tear... This is the exact reason that soesn't seem like a good idea either. :thinking:
kennyrayandersen
1000 Club
1000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals