Weekender II

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby toypusher » Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:09 pm

Great job, Scott!! :applause:
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby b.bodemer » Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:37 pm

Looks great................. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Barb
b.bodemer
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Tx River Rat » Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:16 pm

Scot
My son in law hunts and fishes a lot and has three small kidos. We had just about decided on the Desert Dawg and then we saw the interior of your trailer, Glen fell in love with it.
I have some questions for you
I guess the main one is would you change anything about the design of your build if you could do it over.
He will be pulling with a cj7, how is the mile per gallon and what do you feel like it cost in mileage towing and running empty
Have you used the trailer with four folks in it and how did it work
Weight do you have any ideal
And how did you mount the ac .
I know this is a lot of questions but we really like your layout.
Ron
Thanks ahead of time
Tx River Rat
2nd Teardrop Club

Postby starleen2 » Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:34 pm

Tx River Rat wrote:I guess the main one is would you change anything about the design of your build if you could do it over.

No I would leave it the same. Since I angled the front, it makes towing a breeze. I had to use mirror extensions, though – not a problem

Tx River Rat wrote:He will be pulling with a cj7, how is the mile per gallon and what do you feel like it cost in mileage towing and running empty

I had only one mile per gallon difference (19 without, 18 with) – I tow with a 2006 jeep wrangler unlimited - not the best in aerodynamics. The camper tows good, did not have a single problem on a 300 mile round trip.

Tx River Rat wrote:Have you used the trailer with four folks in it and how did it work

Used with three and there was plenty of room for another two on the floor – as I designed it that way

Tx River Rat wrote:Weight do you have any ideal

About 1025 lbs

Tx River Rat wrote:And how did you mount the ac .

Since I just recently completed the build and cooler weather set in I had not had a chance to use the Air conditioner, However, it is identical to the set used on a pervious build
I just used a small 110 v unit and slide it in form the inside and the unit rests on the door supported by the chain. On our last outing, we forgot the heater and used a hair dryer to warm up the camper (we shut it off when it warmed up – didn’t take long!) – it held the heat pretty well

here's a pict of its maiden voyage at LCGIII
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby Tx River Rat » Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:20 am

Thanks for the reply
One more question , was the weight you posted with the refer inside.
Thanks
Ron
Tx River Rat
2nd Teardrop Club

Postby Tx River Rat » Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:36 am

I guess I will be bugging you the son in law says it is a go,
Tire size?
Door size?
Thanks ahead of time.
Ron
I guess we go to get wood this afternoon or tomorrow
Tx River Rat
2nd Teardrop Club

Postby starleen2 » Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:06 pm

Tx River Rat wrote:I guess I will be bugging you the son in law says it is a go,
Tire size?
Door size?

Weight is with refridgerator inside. I take the efridgerator only on long trips, otherwise I used a small ice chest
tire size is 12 inches
Door size is 24 inches wide and 42 inches tall
I used paneling on the interior so I wouldn't have to paint - that is white paneling on the ceiling. I avoided the masonite paneling, instead using wood paneling because it is lighter.
BYW - the front top angle is a 12/12 slope - the drawing on the webpage doesn't reflect this. The lower front angle is a 7/12 drop
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby Tx River Rat » Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:20 pm

What size mattress did you use in your trailer
I guess we are headed to the box store in a few minutes, dang I hope this isn't as addictive as building wooden kayaks.
Thanks
Ron
Tx River Rat
2nd Teardrop Club

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:53 pm

starleen2 wrote:
here's a pict of its maiden voyage at LCGIII

Very nice! Where do you carry that sweet patio?
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.
1 John 4:9-11

My Teardrop build pictures
Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Postby kipnita » Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:45 pm

I like this one more than #1 or #2!!!!

It looks like if the door was moved rearward slightly a front bunk would be possible (with shoe storage underneath).

Also, a shelf across the front (above the bunk) would provide addtl storage (blankets/clothing/etc).

I am still trying to gather my thoughts (that means courage!) as to our build........

Any idea re tongue weight? I am trying to construct a ttt to use with my Honda CR-V.

The CR-V has tow limits of 150 tongue/1500 total but I would prefer something closer to 100 tongue/1000 total.

On second thought the 6' width is probably too much. I might go 5' and orient the bed lengthwise????

Anyway, I really like this concept, thanks for sharing.
kipnita
Teardrop Advisor

Postby starleen2 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:39 pm

kipnita wrote:I like this one more than #1 or #2!!!!

Any idea re tongue weight? I am trying to construct a ttt to use with my Honda CR-V.

The CR-V has tow limits of 150 tongue/1500 total but I would prefer something closer to 100 tongue/1000 total.

Anyway, I really like this concept, thanks for sharing.

tongue weight is 135 lbs empty - however this can be adjusted by how you load the trailer - if I place my gear towards the back then the tongue weight is less - forward and its more - of course this is all dependent on your gear that you plan to carry.
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby Tx River Rat » Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:45 pm

I have another question :thinking:
Was there any reason you didnt mount the ac permanent on the back wall.
Thanks
Ron
Tx River Rat
2nd Teardrop Club

Postby starleen2 » Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:15 pm

Previous designs had it at the side (Tiny trailer) and at the front at the head of the bed blowing over us (weekender). This time we wanted in the front blowing towards the back. However, there is absolutely no reason why it can't go in the back - personal preference I guess
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby starleen2 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:20 am

Here’s a few shots from a recent thanksgiving trip to Lake Bob Sandlin State park

starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby starleen2 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:14 pm

Take a good look at her folks 'cause she about to go under the knife for a few "adjustments" - I'm going to add another 13 inches to the height - Now time to remove the roof :cry:
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals