Silver Beatle - She's now with an old friend!

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Silver Beatle- Torflex lift kit

Postby aggie79 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:37 am

KC,
I'm hoping "the look" will be similar. The wheels and tires are back on and with the trailer still up on cribbing the top of the tread is about even with the wheel opening. The suspension settles about an inch or so from the weight of the trailer. That'll be when I give the thumbs up or down to the lift. I'm curious to see it too.
Take care,
Tom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby lincolnlerner » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:46 pm

Still love the design
lincolnlerner
Teardrop Advisor

Postby cmrcmk » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:57 am

Hey Tom, you should know that this thread is still helping people out all these years later. Do you have any hindsight wisdom for those of us gearing up to do a build? You know, things you wish you had done but didn't, things you did but regret, things that you now know could have been done a lot easier?
cmrcmk
Teardrop Builder

Postby twisted lines » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:17 pm

Aggies fender.JPG
Aggies fender.JPG (52.33 KiB) Viewed 3313 times
Today I was working to hard in my shop & it warmed up to 65* I was sweating so I found something else to do; so I went through all your posts as this is the first time it has come up since I joined?
I had a notpad out and used it! Outsanding build.
This picture had me thinking.

But then I realized I already built city bumpers and my fenders won't fit :thumbsup:
Attachments
My fender.JPG
My fender.JPG (51.01 KiB) Viewed 3313 times
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby aggie79 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:23 am

cmrcmk wrote:Hey Tom, you should know that this thread is still helping people out all these years later.

Thank you. I'm appreciative of the many people that came before me that documented their builds.

cmrcmk wrote:Do you have any hindsight wisdom for those of us gearing up to do a build? You know, things you wish you had done but didn't, things you did but regret, things that you now know could have been done a lot easier?

A few things come to mind:

1. I would use a different method for sealing the hatch - either the Steve Frederick style or the way Len sealed his hatches: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?p=1045874#p1045874. I used the standard, non-offset hurricane hinge. The potential weakness of this method is how to seal the end areas below the hinge at the hatch to sidewall junction. For years I did not have any moisture intrusion, but this year I had my first leak in this location even with installing rain diverters and extending the hurricane hinge beyond the sidewall. I have since placed a small weatherseal and hope this has solved the issues.

2. I made my own doors for aesthetic reasons. While I got the look I wanted, door construction was hugely time-consuming and expensive. I would suggest using pre-made doors.

3. The PetCool HVAC and ducting was "built-in" to the tongue box and TD. When the PetCool died, no standard window unit could be retrofitted. I would suggest "hacking" a window unit HVAC and ducting it through hatch ports into the TD when needed for high temperatures.

4. My TD is 4' tall. Originally I was going to build foot wells so there would be a place to sit upright during inclement weather. The A-frame interfered with the location of the foot wells. Instead I would suggest building 5' tall and use a tri-fold mattress that converts into a couch so that you can sit upright if the weather isn't cooperating.

5. My electrical system is overly complex with both 120v AC and 12v DC. We do not boon-dock camp; everywhere we go has electricity. I would use a simple 120v AC system as Caseydog posted: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?p=692209#p692209 and forgo the 12v DC system altogether. If you need a 12-volt system, and you don't store your teardrop where you can keep power to it to maintain a battery charge, I would use a removable battery and keep it charged at home. I would also consider using the battery powered stick on lights instead of hard-wiring lighting.

6. Building upon #2, #3 and #5 above, my TD in general is overly complex. Most of this was intentional. I wanted to stretch my fabrication abilities. Another reason is that my stepson passed away just prior to starting the build. The build complexity, and the build itself, served as a diversion as I mentally and emotionally processed his death. I still would use insulated wall and roof construction. Instead of building an insulated floor, I would use solid plywood but add 3/4" thick foam exercise tiles on the interior to serve as insulation and to provides some cushioning. For interior storage, instead of building interior face frame cabinets and doors, I would use plywood cubby holes with stretch mesh to secure contents. I would also be tempted to do the same in the galley. Lastly, my build profile has many curves. This greatly added to the challenge of building. I would recommend a design like the generic Benroy instead. This design still looks good, is much more efficient with space utilization, and would be easier to build than a complex design.

Please forgive my long-winded response.

Take care,
Tom

PS - We still have the Silver Beatle, but recently my wife and I joined the "dark side" in that we purchased a 2014 "couple" sized travel trailer. My wife retired in July and I will retire in December 2020. We plan to use the TD on weekend outings and the travel trailer for longer trips. While the travel trailer is better constructed than most, it still has typical issues. I've already created a list of repairs and upgrades for the trailer and will begin those this weekend. :? $>
Tom (& Linda)
Build Thread

aggie79

Postby Staryder61 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:58 am

NO, not the Dark side....... Say it ain't so....... :lol: :roll: :lol:

()===O()==================== <---------------- (light saber) :lol:

and may the FORCE be with you, on your journeys
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
6' X 12' CTC = Texas Sized Tackle Box
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=74704
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Postby cmrcmk » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:31 am

Not long-winded; informative! Thank you for the reply. You've given me more to think about. I was planning on duplicating several of the features you mention (custom doors, 12vdc & 110vac, etc) but will have to think a bit about which of these will really be meaningful for my family or not.
:thinking:

BTW, I don't think less of using a larger camper, especially if you're using a it to enable extended trips! I'd only be sad to hear someone say they aren't interested in getting outdoors anymore.
cmrcmk
Teardrop Builder

Postby aggie79 » Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:07 pm

I guess this is the end of this chapter. This weekend Linda and I delivered the Silver Beatle (SB) to an old friend, Thomas. Thomas was my motivation and support as I was building the SB, and I learned a lot from his experiences in his teardrop build.

Thomas, we'll see you at a campsite in the near future! :beer:

Take care,
Tom (and Linda)
Tom (& Linda)
Build Thread

aggie79

Re: Silver Beatle - She's now with an old friend!

Postby Sparksalot » Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:30 pm

I saw that on facebook. At least she's staying in the family!
Holy cow, Rose is a teenager now! Done? Surely you jest. A teardrop is never "done".

The Compass Rose build thread: viewtopic.php?t=23213

Inspiration: http://tnttt.com/Design_Library/Trailer%20for%20Two.htm

It's got a cop motor, a 5.3 LS plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. ~ Elwood Blues
Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Postby 2bits » Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:35 pm

Thanks so much Tom! She will be well taken care of and likewise for camping my friend!! :beer:

Cover3.jpg
Cover3.jpg (175.43 KiB) Viewed 2371 times
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Re:

Postby Absinthe » Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:39 pm

aggie79 wrote:
The rest of the time, I spent fitting trim. It was the same procedure - cut and fit in place, remove trim, add sealant, and re-fit in place. I added trim to the galley sidewalls, door jambs, and doors.

I still have a little more trim to install. Then I can re-install the doors, and install the seals and windows, and the Silver Beatle will be campable - sort of. Oh - I guess I better get the trailer lighting installed too.

Gig'em :thumbsup:

Quick question on where I can find the above trim? Is this just flat aluminum or does it have a slight overhang on one side to ensure the side sheet edge is covered??

I am currently in the process of ordering aluminum for my trailer and want to ensure I purchase the correct pieces.
Absinthe
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Juneaudave » Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:50 pm

Congratulations Thomas!!!!
Juneaudave

Postby Graniterich » Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:18 pm

Very nice, and does it have a leg, right angle lip or is it flat?
Graniterich
Donating Member

Re: Re:

Postby aggie79 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:05 pm

Absinthe wrote:Quick question on where I can find the above trim? Is this just flat aluminum or does it have a slight overhang on one side to ensure the side sheet edge is covered??

I am currently in the process of ordering aluminum for my trailer and want to ensure I purchase the correct pieces.

The trim has a very small "leg" perpendicular the flat. It is known as aluminum edge trim or counter trim.

I hate to mention this, because the procedure is dangerous, but I ripped down the width of the trim on my table saw to match the sidewall thickness. I did so by fastening the trim to a scrap board using the same fastener holes but with temporary screws instead of the finish nails used in the installation. If you do this, please use all safety guards, a very sharp (new) carbide saw blade, and vertical and horizontal featherboards (with saw fence clamped down) and be aware of binding that could cause kickback.
Tom (& Linda)
Build Thread

aggie79

Postby wlivesey » Sun May 23, 2021 5:58 pm

Hi Tom! It's been a long time... Are you going to build another? I've still got my Northwestern Winter Warrior. It's doesn't really fit my family anymore but I can't seem to let it go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
wlivesey
The 300 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals