Lady Bug Winter Warrior - finally campable!

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Lady Bug Winter Warrior - finally campable!

Postby starleen2 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:21 am

This is an adaptation of Mike’s Winter Warrior with inspiration from Rayvillian's (Gary & Trudy) weekend warrior . It is based on A TSC 4X8 No floor trailer frame, 76” wide and 120 “ inches long with a headroom of 74” from the floor when the hatch is fully extended

Hatch up

Door (removed for clarity)

Upper portion of Door removed for detail

Door up (hatch removed for clarity)

Door folded down (hatch removed for clarity)

Now for the fun part – gathering of ideas for seals and hinges. I do plan to fully insulate the cabin and build as light as possible. The goal is to be able to garage this little gem and come in under 1300 lbs so the height is a factor when collapsed. What do you Think?
Last edited by starleen2 on Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:00 am, edited 13 times in total.
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby RogHodge » Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:25 pm

That looks slick- :thumbsup:
I shall be watching your build- I might even muck-up the works with an idea or 2 :lol:
For those who would like to have a look I have a build journal and covet your feedback.
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=33547
RogHodge
Teardrop Master

Postby Alan Wood » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:29 am

Looks interesting to me. Why a new one so sone after finishing the weekender?
Alan Wood
Alan Wood
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby starleen2 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:09 am

Alan Wood wrote:Looks interesting to me. Why a new one so sone after finishing the weekender?

The weekender will eventually be sold - I'm currently raising the roof on it to an interior height of 5 feet.
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby devigata » Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:41 pm

All of your other builds have been "squared-off"... Any reason you've decided to go with curved edges?

Does this type of build work better with curves?

OH... you might want to re-locate that AC unit (depending on how it's mounted).
devigata
Donating Member

Postby starleen2 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:23 pm

devigata wrote:All of your other builds have been "squared-off"... Any reason you've decided to go with curved edges?

Does this type of build work better with curves?

OH... you might want to re-locate that AC unit (depending on how it's mounted).

I have never done a curved camper before and Mikes Optimized Winter Warrior has the curves - even on the hatch. I havent decided on the airconditioner mount - it may be moubnted under the bed or in a cabinet with the exhaust directed out undneath
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby Miriam C. » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:23 pm

starleen2 wrote:
Alan Wood wrote:Looks interesting to me. Why a new one so sone after finishing the weekender?

The weekender will eventually be sold - I'm currently raising the roof on it to an interior height of 5 feet.

Do you mean 5' when closed? A suggestion---mike put doors on the Escape Hatch to make it easier to use in a hurry. Didn't have to raise it.

Nice looking design!
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby starleen2 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:49 pm

Miriam C. wrote:
starleen2 wrote:

Do you mean 5' when closed? A suggestion---mike put doors on the Escape Hatch to make it easier to use in a hurry. Didn't have to raise it.

Nice looking design!

I'm thinking that the door, remain in two pieces so either half can be opened and closed independanly of the other, but when fully extended be pinned together. When the hatch is closed, I can still enter and exit from the back
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby starleen2 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:13 am

What I'm thinking about for the top hinge leakage prob is to incorporate a small plastic channel unerneath the hinge gap area to catch any water that may make it past the the hurricane hinge and seal and drain it to the sides

Here’s a detail view of the channel to divert any leakage from the hinge joint. The channel would be visible from the inside, but rabbeted into the spar to keep it from being too obtrusive. The ends would be sealed and a drainage tube on both ends would lead to the exterior down through the wall cavity and through the floor

starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby RAYVILLIAN » Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:40 pm

My one suggestion would be to hinge the top back at the top. I swings down into place when you raise the hatch and makes it easier to raise. What your planning looks pretty close to what I'm dreaming about for my next build. I'll be watching to see how it goes. Give me a holler if you have any questions.

Gary
Where ever we raise the hatch is home.
Darn blank states keep getting further away and we keep traveling slower ain't never gona get this map full.
111961Image
RAYVILLIAN
Lifetime member

Postby starleen2 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:36 pm

Time to do a little cutting and making saw dust. The Ladybug Winter Warrior project has begun. I have been gathering parts and materials to begin the build. Today I did some full sized wall cut outs to check the dimension - Did a layout and began cutting
top closed
top extended

Now to start on the bending jig for the front curves
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby mikeschn » Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:52 pm

Looking good.

One thing that is not clear is how far back you chose to put your offset hinge.

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby starleen2 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:56 pm

mikeschn wrote:Looking good.

One thing that is not clear is how far back you chose to put your offset hinge.

Mike...

About three inches back - I heeded your advice about the gap and the hole. Due to the slope, the roof gains height real fast when extended. Within a few inches the interior height is 5 feet extending to 6' 2" inches with out a dropped floor and is garagable
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby mikeschn » Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:18 am

Sounds good.

Your build is starting pretty quick! :o

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:56 am

Now, That is nice! :thumbsup: I'll be watching your progress with great interest! :thinking:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Next

Return to Build Journals