Northwestern Build - Updated 7/4/2010 - Done!

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby wlivesey » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:18 pm

WayneFromMo wrote:Did you have a Fab shop make the trim or did you by it?
If you purchased it where? I would like to add some trim to mine to reinforce the edge.

You used a torch to bend the trim?

Sorry for the 50000 question I've been trying to get a fab shop inthis area to roll me some and their idiots. I know they can because I used to own their shop.

Wayne

I've been buying 8 ft sticks of aluminum angle (1/8 in thick) at my local hardware store. I setup a jig on my drill press to drill all the holes and use a propane torch to anneal the angle after it's drilled. Once it's annealed it's pretty easy to bend it around the curves.
wlivesey
The 300 Club

Postby wlivesey » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:26 pm

I got the hatch on this evening. It's not attached yet, it's just sitting in place.

wlivesey
The 300 Club

Postby razorback » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:21 pm

Man
You've done a really nice job. Can't wait to see it at BB.
Larry
razorback
Super Lifetime Member

Postby S. Heisley » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:30 pm

Razorback wrote:

Ditto, here! Wish I could see it! :cry:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby wlivesey » Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:05 am

razorback wrote:Man
Larry

S. Heisley wrote: Ditto, here! Wish I could see it! :cry:

Thanks! I've missed every date and deadline so far so I'm not making any promises! I'll just have to see how it goes.
wlivesey
The 300 Club

Postby RAYVILLIAN » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:45 am

Wow Bill it's really turned out beautiful. It looks like you've done a great job figuring out the hatch problems with aluminum. WE both have to make it to BB or else I might have to make a special trip south just to see your trailer.

Gary
Where ever we raise the hatch is home.
Darn blank states keep getting further away and we keep traveling slower ain't never gona get this map full.
111961Image
RAYVILLIAN
Lifetime member

Postby WayneFromMo » Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:28 am

Bill, what are you going to do with that battery box?

Looks nice almost done.

Wayne
The only thing keeping anyone from being a genius is motivation- Albert Einstein
My build
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=31105
WayneFromMo
Teardrop Master

Postby wlivesey » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:17 pm

RAYVILLIAN wrote:Wow Bill it's really turned out beautiful. It looks like you've done a great job figuring out the hatch problems with aluminum. WE both have to make it to BB or else I might have to make a special trip south just to see your trailer.

Gary

Thanks, Gary. The aluminum has been a challenge but I'm getting through it. Just a little bit more to go.. From what I've heard, if I make it to BB, we'll have 4 out of 5 known Winter Warriors (on the forum) in attendance. That would be cool...

WayneFromMo wrote:Bill, what are you going to do with that battery box?

Looks nice almost done.

Wayne

I think I'm just gonna leave it there and hope it doesn't blow away while cruising down the highway! That and the extra tongue jack... :lol:

Seriously though, I'm planning a tongue box to hold the batteries and whatever else I can fit in there. I just had it sitting there post day dreaming.
wlivesey
The 300 Club

Postby High Desert » Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:06 pm

boy that is looking fantastic Bill. Great lines. You're got a real beauty on your hands. And you'll be giving lots of tours I'm sure 8)
Shaun

"it's not the years honey, it's the mileage"
High Desert
Platinum Donating Member

Postby aggie79 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:02 pm

:applause:

You're in the home stretch now Bill. You're TTT looks awsome. I really like the way your profile has turned out.

BTW, I noticed there was some bright light shining on your trailer. Was this perhaps the sun? It's been so long since I've seen it around here, that I forgot what it looked like.

Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby wlivesey » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:45 pm

I managed to get the hatch attached today and even installed the gas springs (aka lift supports, aka gas struts). 150lbs gas springs are actually strong enough to lift the hatch and hold it completely open!!! I couldn't believe it!!! Unfortunately, the brackets I bought were a bit too weak and the weight of the hatch managed to bend one of them pretty badly. I'll either fab something better or see what I can find at camping world tomorrow. I didn't really like how these fit anyway.

It was very cool giving the hatch a gentle push and watching it open all the way up...

Last edited by wlivesey on Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
wlivesey
The 300 Club

Postby mikeschn » Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:30 pm

wlivesey wrote:It was very cool giving the hatch a gentle push and watching it open all the way up...

I love doing that too!!!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby RAYVILLIAN » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:16 am

Actually Bill there are 6 WW's I know of there is one up in Canada. Newfoundland I think. But only 5 in the United States. We'll have to camp close enough togeather to get a pic of the 4 side by side.

Gary
Where ever we raise the hatch is home.
Darn blank states keep getting further away and we keep traveling slower ain't never gona get this map full.
111961Image
RAYVILLIAN
Lifetime member

Postby wlivesey » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:05 pm

RAYVILLIAN wrote:Actually Bill there are 6 WW's I know of there is one up in Canada. Newfoundland I think. But only 5 in the United States. We'll have to camp close enough togeather to get a pic of the 4 side by side.

Gary

I don't think I've seen any pics of the Canadian WW... I'm going to try my best to make it to BB. At this point, it looks like I should be able too.

So assuming I make it to BB, who is the one U.S. Winter Warrior owner that isn't going??? I sure wouldn't want to be that guy!

Maybe a Winter Warrior club is in order...
wlivesey
The 300 Club

Postby wlivesey » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:21 pm

I got the damage spring mount replaced. Everything is working great now.

Hatch closed:

Hatch open:
wlivesey
The 300 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals