Northwestern Build - Updated 7/4/2010 - Done!

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Northwestern Build - Updated 7/4/2010 - Done!

Postby wlivesey » Sun May 17, 2009 10:43 pm

I originally started my build thread in the General Discussion section and have since decided to move it here.

(Posted: Sat May 02, 2009 6:03 pm)
I finally decided to build myself a trailer. I'm jumping in with both feet and building a Winter Warrior inspired ttt! :D

Here is the basic plan.

Friday was a good day.

Saturday was even better.

(Posted: Sun May 03, 2009 7:09 pm)
After a LOT of measuring and double checking and measuring again and triple checking today. Once I was satisfied, I finally went ahead and burned the tongue onto the box.

The axle went on pretty fast. I spent so much time getting the frame square that it was pretty easy to get it lined up.

Boss is happy, so I'm happy.

I sure do like the alloys. Not bad for $86/each. Tire included!

I'll probably spend the rest of the week finishing up a lot of little details on the frame. I've got to weld on tabs for bolting the body to the frame. I've also got to get my stabilizer jacks and wire looms in place. After that, a little paint and I'll get started on the floor.

(Posted: Mon May 04, 2009 9:05 pm)
I managed to get my stabilizers mounted this evening. I made some brackets out of 2x3 box. I cut the box in half to make u-shaped 2x1.5 brackets.

They fit better than I expected...

I had to make the forward mounting brackets out of full 2x3 box. The 2x2 cross member isn't tall enough to properly attach the stabilizer without getting creative. I attached the 2x3 box flush with the top of the 2x2 crossmember.

On to mounting points and/or gussets...

(Posted: Thu May 07, 2009 6:10 am)
I put my wife to work cutting angle iron with the chop saw. She said she wanted to help... 8)

(Posted: Thu May 07, 2009 8:54 pm)
Tonight we got all of the body mounting brackets welded onto the frame. It turned out to be a lot more welding than I thought.

As soon as my coupler arrives, I'll weld it on, and the frame will be ready for paint. I'll probably get started on the floor before it arrives.

(Posted: Sat May 09, 2009 9:44 pm)
The frame is nearly complete and was desparately in need of paint. We decided to use Rustoleum Hammered finish black paint.

I REALLY don't like painting so my wife did all the hard work and painted the entire frame herself. I think she did an awesome job.

Boss approves...

While the paint was drying we got to work on the floor. My wife wanted to try the router. Here she is routing a lap joint for the floor panels. We will load this joint up with glue and support it underneath with a nailer.

It's not done but I think the floor is looking good!

(Posted: Sun May 10, 2009 9:32 pm)
The floor has been completely glued and screwed together. Tomorrow I'll seal the floor so I can flip it right side up and permanently bolt it to the frame.

I didn't need to but I used my planer and jointer to make nice smooth boards.

(Posted: Mon May 11, 2009 8:42 pm)
The floor has been sealed. The roof sealer is some nasty sticky stuff but it was kind of fun slopping it all over the bottom side of the floor. We masked off the edges so we didn't get any sealer where the walls are going to attach to the floor.

After the sealer dries, which will probably take a few days, I'll flip the floor over and bolt it down.

Hopefully it won't be long before I have the walls going up. :D

(Posted: Sun May 17, 2009 9:04 pm)
It took most of this past week for the floor to dry. Now that it's dry, we were able to flip the floor over and bolt it down.

I started working on the walls - You will probably notice that they are thick!

The wall construction is coming along... As heavy as the wall contruction is, it's surprisingly light weight.

I also got the wheel wells built.

I can't wait to get the wall going up...
Last edited by wlivesey on Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:35 pm, edited 47 times in total.
wlivesey
The 300 Club

Postby stomperxj » Sun May 17, 2009 11:07 pm

Looks good so far... :thumbsup:
stomperxj
The 300 Club

Postby Mike_La » Mon May 18, 2009 8:46 pm

:thumbsup: Great job, wlivesey (Bill). Looks like you're working at a steady pace.

I like the wheels. Where'd you get them?
I'm building my own frame also. Just completed welding the outer framework a few minutes ago. Tomorrow, I'll start welding on the cross bracings and tongue.

Thanks for the pics,

Mike
Mike

"Believe you can and you're halfway there."
Theodore Roosevelt
Mike_La
Silver Donating Member

Postby wlivesey » Mon May 18, 2009 8:56 pm

Thanks Mike, It's coming along nicely - at this rate I think I should have my build completed in the next 5 years or so. :lol:

I got the wheels + tires on sale at Northern Tool and Equipment.

Here is a link...

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200317119_200317119

I only paid about $85 each...
wlivesey
The 300 Club

LockNRoll Offroad Hitch

Postby wlivesey » Mon May 18, 2009 9:36 pm

Woohoo! My LockNRoll hitch and coupler came in today! This is some serious hardware. It appears VERY well made and VERY strong. It took a few weeks to arrive but the guys were very friendly and make some great products.

This is what I ordered...
(P/N 303) Adjustable Height Drop/Rise Bar Hitch
(P/N 208) 6000 lb, 50 degree bracket

wlivesey
The 300 Club

nice frame

Postby Carter » Wed May 20, 2009 5:09 pm

Nice frame. I really love the simple yet strong (and elegant) stabilizer jack mounts. There is some idea stealing going on right now. Building one right now using the Redkote tube you have, for a few bucks a length it looks like a time saver and better final product.

Have Fun
Jim
I need a new Avatar. I'd put my dog up there but she doesn't look much like me. She's the skinny one.
Carter
Gold Donating Member

Re: nice frame

Postby wlivesey » Wed May 20, 2009 9:36 pm

Carter wrote:Nice frame. I really love the simple yet strong (and elegant) stabilizer jack mounts. There is some idea stealing going on right now. Building one right now using the Redkote tube you have, for a few bucks a length it looks like a time saver and better final product.
Have Fun
Jim

Thanks, Jim! The redkote tube is nice... The rustoleum paint i used for the frame also saved a lot of time. No primer required! My wife just rolled a couple coats of the paint on with a small roller brush. The end result looks really nice.
wlivesey
The 300 Club

Postby wlivesey » Wed May 20, 2009 10:04 pm

I've been making some progress this week but nothing that really makes a great picture so I though I would post a few more pictures of what I'm building. As always, I look forward to your feedback...

I'm thinking of making a dinette instead of another cabinet and potti storage. Something like this... Thoughts? Suggestions?

wlivesey
The 300 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Wed May 20, 2009 11:26 pm

:applause: :thumbsup: :applause: Have you done a balance sheet? This looks great but heavy. I love it that so many are building the WW.

A suggestion for privacy is a curtain track, like the hospitals use. I am still trying to get some without shipping. You can also use accordion doors.
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Carter » Thu May 21, 2009 3:51 am

Bill,
I used the Aluminum Hammered paint on my last frame and for details like the propane bottle on my standy. The propane bottle sat in the weather for 4 years and held up well. I shot another coat on it last fall to freshen up the color but it wasn't really necessary, no peeling or flaking. it holds on well.

Jim
I need a new Avatar. I'd put my dog up there but she doesn't look much like me. She's the skinny one.
Carter
Gold Donating Member

Postby wlivesey » Thu May 21, 2009 6:55 am

Miriam C. wrote::applause: :thumbsup: :applause: Have you done a balance sheet? This looks great but heavy. I love it that so many are building the WW.

A suggestion for privacy is a curtain track, like the hospitals use. I am still trying to get some without shipping. You can also use accordion doors.

Yes, I've done a balance sheet. I also compared my figures with the Winter Warrior and Compact plans. My plans came out to be very similar to them both.

It's going to be heavy compared to most teardrops. It's quite large and built to handle rough terrain. Honestly, I'm not TOO concerned about the weight though, I've got plenty of capacity with my TV.
wlivesey
The 300 Club

Postby bobhenry » Thu May 21, 2009 7:26 am

Miriam C. wrote::applause: :thumbsup: :applause: Have you done a balance sheet? This looks great but heavy. I love it that so many are building the WW.

Auntie M The fancy over curtain for a shower liner already has the button holes for the rings. By looping a little bolo type bungie thru the hole and cutting a 1/4' slide track in a piece of pvc you have your hospital curtain.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby dsmith » Thu May 21, 2009 10:17 am

I like the glue-lam radius, I've used similar to make a mortise and tenon joint. Very strong and lots of glue surface! I also like your idea for the dinette. Keep up the great work!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Doug
dsmith
Teardrop Builder

Postby wlivesey » Fri May 22, 2009 10:28 am

This is my favorite floor plan. It's got exterior storage up front that is accessible from both side of the trailer. It's also got his & hers interior storage under each seat of the dinette.

The seat in the back also hides the potti and makes a good place to stash stuff while we are camped.

wlivesey
The 300 Club

Postby starleen2 » Fri May 22, 2009 5:40 pm

I like the idea of the dinette, but didn't do it in mine - Rayvillian did the same in his, but commented that He really doesn't use it much - neither would I since I prefer to be outside eating - but could eat inside if necessary. Another tip gleaned from Gary when he built his - Screw the hatch to side walls and construct it from there - believe me it's a lot easier to do it this way. Once the hatch is to a point where its solid - then you can take it off and do painting or whatever. As Mike mentioned before - the 2 inch offset is an absolute must for the hinge joint - that's what I did and I don't have any gaps at the front edge. However if you do this, the wall offset will have to modified to accept the change. Since I did not use the offset, it's not a worry for me. Seriously, I would think of using 3/8 ply or thinner - that Hatch weighs more than you think! :thumbsup:
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Next

Return to Build Journals