I started a build in Mo

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby wlivesey » Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:37 am

WayneFromMo wrote:I have a question.

I have been looking for tirm for the inside of my trailer. The trouble I'm having is in the 24" radus's the trim that I have tried so breaks when I try to push it in place. ANY IDEAS? I would like to finish the trim as my cabinet. I've been using Minwax Stain and Sealer / Polyshade. :) :) :)

All ideas welcome.

Wayne

You could steam it before you try to bend it. Since it's just trim, I would think you could make a small steam box pretty easily. Maybe something like this...

http://askville.amazon.com/easy-build-homemade-steam-box-steam-bending-fun/AnswerDetails.do?requestId=6435123&responseId=15244689
wlivesey
The 300 Club

Postby Ageless » Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:54 am

Much simpler is a length of downspout tube with a couple caps
Strangers on this road we are on; we are not two, we are one - Raymond Douglas Davies
Ageless
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Juneaudave » Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:01 am

Ageless wrote:Much simpler is a length of downspout tube with a couple caps

Me too...I'm partial to a piece of salvage downspout, a rag, a teapot and a coleman stove. 15 min. steaming to 1/4 inch thickness

Juneaudave
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby WayneFromMo » Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:34 pm

So, the suggestion is that I steam the trim.

If I steam the trim. Should I have a mold or something to shape it to and let it dry. I then could stain it. Would this be the process?

The steam box is a good idea.

Thanks for the help.

Wayne :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
The only thing keeping anyone from being a genius is motivation- Albert Einstein
My build
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=31105
WayneFromMo
Teardrop Master

Postby John T. Hodgen » Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:52 am

Hey Wayne,
I've been watching your build and like the camper.....your doing a great job. :thumbsup: Steaming the piece was my first thought too. I did LEARN something here about making your own steaming tube. :thinking: I think since your using inside{?}, I'd think the first try would be have a pattern cutout ready to attach the trim and bent it to shape. Secure it til its ready to be stained. This try will keep the moisture that might damage your paneling out of the camper. The other would be steam slightly til it will bend and install it, when dried, then take it back out to stain...etc. :thinking: Just 2 thoughts on the same subject, waiting to see the results...enjoy your build.:applause:
Til later by the fire--John T. & Linda 8)
John T. Hodgen
The 300 Club

Postby WayneFromMo » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:37 pm

Well it's that time of the year. It's getting to cold to set up in the garage to finish the trim. I'm waiting next spring to install the water system. I sure if i need to go campping it's ready. So here is some of the last pictures for this year.

I got that bed in.

The Dinette area and sleeping area for a third person, if your married.

Here's how it works.

Pull this nail/pin.

Pull this way.

Lay out flat. There's a sleeping area, minus the bed liens.

This what holds it place and 90*.

My wife thought I needed this.

Enjoy.
While I'm at it, I want to thank everyone that has help with my build. looking through build albums really help me put this together.

So happy trails and keep it between the ditches, and enjoy life. No matter how you do it.

Wayne
The only thing keeping anyone from being a genius is motivation- Albert Einstein
My build
WayneFromMo
Teardrop Master

Postby WayneFromMo » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:22 pm

8) Well here some more pictures of the outside. I have the fenders mounted, lights,and wheels and tires.

I'll build the mount for the battery and propane tank later.

Thanks for looking. :) :) :) :) :) :)
My build
WayneFromMo
Teardrop Master

Postby WayneFromMo » Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:22 pm

Today, I took the trailer down to be inspected by the state. Got the plates, and it is ready to go cammping. 8) 8) 8) 8)

Wayne
My build
WayneFromMo
Teardrop Master

Postby WayneFromMo » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:43 pm

I have an extra window if someone wannts it they can have it. It's heavy so pickup would be best.

It measure 26" x59-3/4". the screen is in great shape.

I was going to use it in my build, but didn't. So here is some pictures.

Enjoy post or pm here.
My build
WayneFromMo
Teardrop Master

Postby S. Heisley » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:28 pm

Congratulations, Wayne! You are darn close to done! It looks like you just need to get a couple seat cushions and to fill the cabinets for camping! Good for you! :thumbsup: :applause:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby grizz » Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:26 am

Great trailer, love the simple solution on the 3rd bed, eating area.

Great to see sharing on here as well, with offering out parts you do not need.

Over here we have a huge thing going on Retro-Rides where I spend a lot of time, with sharing stuff others can use.

Congrats on getting the plates.
We are lucky here in the UK..... they are often stupidly anal about certain things, but you can hang just about any size home built trailer off your car, as long as you have the same number plate on both.
In South Africa where I come from, every trailer has a seperate identity, and needs inspection at least once in its life, and when changing ownership.
Greetings from England.

Rian.

Hoping to get it all done in time.
grizz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby WayneFromMo » Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:54 am

Thanks Sharon. I have some more shelves to install, and we have been stocking the trailer. But its Archery season here and I've been busy with that yearly ritual. I need a bow and gun rack installed also. I think I’m looking for a satellite service, like one that a person could pay as it needed. Also I still need to put up some trim and paint the door. But some good news is it does not leak. A few days back we received a lot of rain and I checked it daily, no leaks. Pots and pans are in.

Thanks for watching my build. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Wayne

Speaking of seat cushion. Does any body have a good website for foam?
Last edited by WayneFromMo on Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
My build
WayneFromMo
Teardrop Master

Postby WayneFromMo » Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:17 am

Hi Grizz

In the UK, if you use a plate with the same number, is it that you just move the rear automobile plate to the rear of the trailer, or do you just purchased another plate?

That would be great if we could do that here.

But it wasn’t too hard to get a plate for the trailer in Missouri. All I did was set up an appointment to have the trailer inspected. Took it over to the DMV station (Here the Highway Patrol Station). They told me to bring all my receipts. A DMV officer measured the over all length handed me a form to sign and that was it. They didn’t even look at the receipts. The next thing I knew there were about six Patrol officers wanting to check out the trailer and so the tours were on. It took me longer to explain my build and logging onto this forum than it did for the inspection. They all liked it and the main question asked was “how long did it take to build?â€
My build
WayneFromMo
Teardrop Master

Postby WayneFromMo » Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:06 pm

Free window if someone want's it. Let me know soon before my wife throws it away.
My build
WayneFromMo
Teardrop Master

Postby WayneFromMo » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:52 pm

Holly cow it was cold this past weekend. I finally took my camper camping for the week end. Sorry no pictures forgot my camera. My truck pulled it just find.

I managed to install a surban 16000 b.t.u. furnace that I salvaged from a wrecked motor home for $25.00 and it works great. We left the thermostat up a little too high and holly crap, way to hot. Had some high winds and the trailer did fine did not rock any. Had some snow fall as well. Glad I put the cooking range in, cooking outside would have been tough.

The sad part of the trip out of the three of us no one harvested a deer.

By the way we had a popup in the camp as well and they stayed in my trailer as long as they could. His boy asked if he could sleep on my extra bed.

Over all it did great. I did make a list of some thing for improvements
Like, don't forget the can opener, extra batteries, coat rack and shelves. A couple of TV trays would have been nice. I took my laptop and we hunters watched hunting videos to pass some of the time.

Until next time :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
My build
WayneFromMo
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals