My 1977 18' Scotty HiLander Trunkback

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby CAJUN LADY » Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:56 pm

T, the Sprite 400 is yours??? How cool! I love the door. Take some pics of the interior and post them. That is such a neat looking camper.

I haven't had to replace one piece of wood in this Scotty! I did add the shelves in the hanging closet but that's all. I will be replacing the refrigerator though. It works on propane just great but I can't get it to work on electric. The guy I bought it from said it worked fine but he did have to fool with the controls to get it to work. I don't even want to deal with it...I have a brand new one that I had in the other Scotty that I love so it will be going in this one.

I hope I get to camp with you ladies one day. We should do what they do on the National Serro Scotty Organization (NSSO)...Nancy has what's called a "Camp In" and once or twice a year on a certain weekend night people either go camping in their yards and take pictures which she posts on the forum. It's pretty cool.
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Postby CAJUN LADY » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:09 pm

Was bored today so I "played" in my Scotty ~

Decided to change out the screens in the screen door. These are the old ones:

And this is what the door looks like with the new ones I put in today and I didn't take the door off:

Also decided to change out the light fixtures. These give off much more light:

I also installed a couple of florescent lights - one above the sink and a small one in the bathroom. This is the one above the sink:

There is a great, bright light in the bathroom but I don't like a lot of light when you have to use the potty during the night. This is perfect!

I changed out the old fridge for my newer one:

New fridge in:

The reason it sits so far back is the A/C unit on the ceiling is in the way - when I open the fridge door the A/C unit stops the door at a certain point.

Curtain I made the for bathroom window:

Curtain I made to snap on the entry door:

I'm sure enjoying this camper. :)
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Postby CAJUN LADY » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:50 am

Going install a drip rail over the trunk right now. Will take pics and post later.
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Postby 2bits » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:42 pm

Nice additions! I like the curtains!
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby CAJUN LADY » Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:29 pm

Thanks Thomas! I want to recover the cushions and put all new curtains up. The yellow ones came with the Scotty but they are junky looking but they will have to do for now. I love the touile pattern in the door curtain. I didn't have enough for all the windows so the bathroom window and door got lucky.
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Postby rebapuck » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:21 pm

Don't forget that the sun can fade those curtains in a jiffy. Use them just when you camp, and make muslin ones for storage.

Are you saving all the original equipment? I wish I had had the foresight to save mine.
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby CAJUN LADY » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:00 pm

rebapuck wrote:Don't forget that the sun can fade those curtains in a jiffy. Use them just when you camp, and make muslin ones for storage.

Are you saving all the original equipment? I wish I had had the foresight to save mine.

Judy, the curtains in my Teardrop faded pretty bad but I failed to take them down when not camping. Ones on the door get taken down but the bathroom ones don't...I put a stained glass film on the window so the sun can't really get to the curtain.

I don't know how old the yellow ones are but they aren't faded...yet.

Yes, I'm saving all original equip. except for the fridge. It didn't work anymore so it hit the dump.
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Postby b.bodemer » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:56 am

Becca,
Your Scotty and all the new touches look great.

I know you miss your td but I find taking my Scotty has been a lot of fun this year. Standing up and having a bathroom certainly are two big advantages.

I also found that with my Scotty I just need to pack my awning. If it rains I pull the picnic table half way under the awning to cook. Then I just turn around and head inside to eat the meal at the dinette table.

If you are thinking of an awning I recommend Marti. I recently sent back my awning and she put 4 tabs in the corners so I could run lighweight poles diagonally to get rid of the sagging. Her work is as solid as it's beautiful.

Barb
b.bodemer
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby CAJUN LADY » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:43 am

Barb, thanks for the compliments!

Yes, I am going to use Marti's services for my awning. And, I too want to put the loops on each end plus a double loop in the center to keep the poles stable. Was it Snoop Doug that had that done for his awning? It sure would help to keep the rain from puddling. How long did it take for her to make yours? Did she send sample fabric for you to choose?

Monday I added a rain drip (gutter?) above the trunk on the Scotty. I noticed that during a driving rain it was coming in a little so I hope this helps.

I am enjoying my Scotty so much Barb! I do miss my TD but when I "walk" into my camper a big smile comes across my face. :D
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Postby b.bodemer » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:21 pm

Becca,

I got the idea from Doug. I also put a bar across the front to keep that portion straight. You can take a peek at it here:
http://barbsserroscottymakeover.shutter ... /newawning

Marti made some color/pattern suggestions and even sent samples. I am thinking of a simpler set up for the td and would certainly use her again. Her prices are very fair and the awning looks great.

The diagonal poles lift it so the door isn't even close and I don't think rain will have a chance to puddle at all.

Barb
b.bodemer
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby CAJUN LADY » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:36 pm

Barb, next time you set it up would you take a picture under the canopy so I can see how you have your bars set up?

What I was thinking of doing is using flexible tent poles under the canopy that would cross in the center, like an X . From what I can make out, yours has one pole running across the middle from side-to-side.

Now you say you have a pole in the front to prevent sagging. What kind of pole and how did you attach it?

One more question - how do you store your awning? Do you have a bag that holds it and the poles? Do you roll it up or fold it up?

By the way, your awning looks great! :thumbsup:
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Postby b.bodemer » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:22 pm

Becca,
There are two diagonal fleixble tent poles. They criss cross in the middle and Marti did put a tie there. It worked great for my trip meeting my sister's family. Her three older children stayed overnight and during the day there were tons of trips in and out. The diagonal poles saved the day.

Marti makes a bag for you so when you receive your awning it's easy to fold back up and store in the original cloth bag. I store the awning with the chairs in the roof top carrier that I have. Same with the diagonal poles.

The two adjustable poles plus the one for the front of the awning are loaded up on the side of my pick up. I've got a kayak paddle rack and all the poles fit in nicely.

I should get out to camp again next week. I'll try to take pics of the underside of the camper's awning.
Barb
b.bodemer
1000 Club
1000 Club

Previous

Return to Build Journals