Today was a good day. The The pied-à-tear 11/24/09

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Today was a good day. The The pied-à-tear 11/24/09

Postby caffeine » Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:14 pm

Hi, my name is Eric and I'm a teardropaholic. I've been lurking on this site for a couple of years, but today was my first day of building. :)
I built and tarred my deck, and I'm exhausted. It's still pretty hot here in Texas, so I'll be up bright and early to take pictures.
Last edited by caffeine on Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Eric

A morning without coffee is like sleep.
caffeine
Teardrop Builder

Postby caseydog » Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:25 pm

Welcome!

There are a lot of Texas Teardroppers. I think I can safely speak for all of us when I say we hope to see you at a gathering, soon. I have been to a dozen or so gatherings, and they are a hoot.

It got nice today, so I was out working on my new build. Hopefully, those of us in Texas will have more good build weather coming at us.

CD

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Re: Today was a good day.

Postby Endo » Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:01 am

caffeine wrote:I'll be up bright and early to take pictures.

Welcome

It's bright and early where are the pics :R

Well it's early at least.
Brad (aka Endo)
ImageImage Image
In God We Trust
Endo
500 Club

Postby caffeine » Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:56 am

I just realized I should have waited until tonight to coat it. Now I don't have the trailer and deck to use as a work surface. I made a detailed construction plan, then ignored it.
Eric

caffeine
Teardrop Builder

Postby caffeine » Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:37 pm

I threw this together this morning so I could start my profile.
Eric

caffeine
Teardrop Builder

Postby Roly Nelson » Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:15 pm

Welcome Erik, to the best trailer/builder site on the net. You are about to embark on a life-changing project, and it looks like you have a nice start. I may be wrong, but the plywood floor seems to be only be 1 1/2 inches above the top of the metal trailer frame. I wonder if this will be enough clearance to clear the top of the tire, when the weight of the teardrop has been added to the suspension. I'm sure you have it all scoped out, but just wondering. So far it looks good, keep the pics coming and good luck on your build.
Roly 8) :thumbsup:
See the little 1/2 Nelson Woody constructions pics at: http://gages-56.com/roly.html
Roly Nelson
L'il Ol' Woody Builder

Postby caffeine » Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:01 pm

Hi Roly! With everthing I could find loaded on the trailer and using the scientific method of bouncing it up and down, it looks like I'll have just about 2 1/2" clearance. A little tight I know. Think that will be enough? Very little will be required of this trailer as far as travel.
I'm building using a fairly simple and lightweight design. I hope. There is going to be a baby bunk instead of a gally and only one door. I am insulating the walls and ceiling, because my wife wouldn't let me build it without an A/C.
Eric

caffeine
Teardrop Builder

Postby Beachbuggy » Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:04 pm

Welcome fellow Texan, I can't wait for a Texas meet! 8)
Yeah it's hot here too :icedtea:
Beachbuggy
Teardrop Master

Over a month later

Postby caffeine » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:52 pm

These are the pieces to my front bulkhead. Front wall with cutout for the AC, and behind it the sliding doors for a little cabinet in the headboard.

Dry fit of the front bulhead wall and tounge box, that's where the AC is going. You can also see my wall and door laying on the deck.

My insulated walls.

The weather sure has changed. It's now 55 and raining, and now instead of worrying about dripping sweat on my luan I'm trying to keep the rain off. Everything but the trailer spent two days piled in our kitchen while the thunderstorms ravaged our carport.

I went to McCoy's Lumber to get my 1/8 luan and was told that nobody in the area carries it even though their website says they have it in stock. I'm going with wallboard from Big Orange Box for the inside skins so I can keep working while I wait for my special order of 1/8 ply to come in.
I'm trying to set our first camping trip for the end of November. Wish me luck!
Eric

caffeine
Teardrop Builder

Postby jdarkoregon » Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:27 pm

Good Luck, November is coming soon.

One door, and a very big one. Great to see you are building a good design.

Keep at it

John
Innovation is essential
The world can be better
ImageImage
jdarkoregon
Donating Member

Postby aggie79 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:51 pm

Eric,

I missed your first posting. You are really moving along on your build! Looks top notch.

If you haven't already, take a look in the "South Central" section to see about the LCG IV event, October 23-25, at Lake Bisteneau southwest of Shreveport. I won't have my teardrop done then, but there will be about 60-70 teardrops in one location.

Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

NICE

Postby Chris D » Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:00 pm

Looks great Eric,
I just got my stuff this week and looks like rain all week .

Chris D
Chris D
Teardrop Master

Postby caffeine » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:56 pm

Thanks Tom, I'll look at that. I'm trying to make our first camp at the Renaisance festival near Houston. Don't know if we're going to make it but it's good motivation.

Yeah Chris, it's been rainy for a week here. I kid you not, I have GREEN MOLD :frightened: growing on my lumber and camper peices from the amazing humidity happening in my carport. We had about two hours of sunlight today so I put everything out in the driveway to get a dose of UV.
Eric

caffeine
Teardrop Builder

Postby dreadcptflint » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:05 pm

There must be some serious rocket fuel in your cup cause you are humming right along. :thumbsup:
The quickest way to find me is on my business site. Yes, I do answer questions and provide quotes for free. Find me at: http://www.wenatcheefarmers.com
dreadcptflint
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby starleen2 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:06 pm

Greetings Eric,
Longview eh? Some rain we've been having right? - We're in Mt. Pleasant - just about 50 miles North of ya'. looks like some good progress going on - if you ever need an extra hand - would be happy to lend one. BTW - a few of are planning a gathering at lake Bob Sandlin in November - maybe stop by and introduce yourself and there's always room for one more! ;)
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Next

Return to Build Journals