the "geaux away"

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

the "geaux away"

Postby laoutdoorsman » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:07 pm

well...since theres a new section...ill start here...can my other posts be moved to here, so it wil be all in one place???

by the way---geaux is pronounced "go".....its a south louisiana thing...lol
mike breaux...its pronounced "bro".....
i think i should have taken notes along the way, because ive forgotten waaaay more than i remember...
laoutdoorsman
Teardrop Master

Postby madjack » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:15 pm

hmmmmm :thinking: I like it...maybe even lose the first a and make it just "GeauxWay"...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT come back and document your build here...oughtta work...............
madjack 8)

p.s. first thing ya gotta do, is learn to post pics...very important to the harmony of the universe(or somethin") ;) MJ
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

pics...

Postby laoutdoorsman » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:56 pm

im ok with posting pics..not a stranger to forums...i just havnt really had anything new to show, the past few days....ill finish priming tomorrow---dont know yet if ill leave it like that or not...( i really want it sandblasted, primed, and then linex'd...just dont think i can afford it...)...ill post a pic or 2 of what i have...
i think i should have taken notes along the way, because ive forgotten waaaay more than i remember...
laoutdoorsman
Teardrop Master

pics

Postby laoutdoorsman » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:53 pm

i went outside and snapped a few pics of what i have after stripping a lil rust and old paint, and priming with rattle cans....i only have the bottom, gonna flip and do the top in the morning...

tongue underside--

tongue topside--

this shows the adjustable axle--

just an overall...excuse the mess...

heres a pic marked with the measurements of my tongue...kennyray has concern that its too long, or not strong enough....im confused...

the masking is cover my coupler....the latch was bent (got hit by the bushhog a while back when it was just out in the field behind the house..)...i have a rebuild kit coming from shelby in the mail any day...i masked it, because when i hit it with the buffer, the zinc or galvanized finish got real shiny..thought it will look cool against the flat black paint tghe trailer will be painted with...
laoutdoorsman
Teardrop Master

new plan..

Postby laoutdoorsman » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:54 am

this is my new plan that i described in my other thread....it will 14 feet and a few inches long...7 feet 4 wide... 6 feet of inside headroom...

laoutdoorsman
Teardrop Master

today..

Postby laoutdoorsman » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:39 pm

got rain today, so not too much got done...went and rode the roads today to check out "store-bought" campers....looking for ideas...i know i dont want one of them tiny showers that they had in a couple i looked at today...came up with a couple useful ideas though....thinking about a fold out couch/bed instead of a dinette booth/bed....7 times out of 10, at home we eat our supper at the couch watching tv, with our plates on a fold-out "tv tray" type table....why not do that in the camper?? if camping, more than likely will be cooking/eating outside(in the bug tent, of course!!!) most of the time anyway...

then i had to pay attention to color schemes, just for ideas...i know im far off for that, but hey, it was a rainy day, so what the heck...lol i like the white with royal blue and black accents alot...i had been liking the neutral/pewter/silvery gray colors with the black.....but the blue was popping!!! im undecided on the interior...thinking i want wood/natural/rustic look----wood paneling, stone looking vinyl flooring...cant figure on a decent way to get wood on the inside to look nice without adding tons of extra dead weight to my trailer... i thought about using the wood-like laminate flooring as paneling thinking it would be lighter than the "beaded" ply....not!!! i picked up the boxes of laminate and i think i figuered i needed like four boxes....i decided against that...so...illl think on that a while...i ahve plenty of time..

anyway....i did flip the trailer, finish priming....started painting with rattle cans to get a feel for it....i like the color--but still not sure if i want to leave it with a "rattle-can-paintjob"....it took me about 8 or 9 cans of primer, 6 or 7 cans of paint....tomorow once its good and dry, ill figure out if io want to do another coat and just roll with it, or bring to get blasted and done the right way... :roll: :thinking: :roll: :thinking:

well...heres some pics...its just a rattle-can-paintjob...flat black rustoleum, one coat...

and this is something i played with on the side...the wheels that came off of it...i buffed the with a wire cup brush on my grinder, sanded, primed, and painted with a flat white....keep in mind, the tires are throw away tires(dry rotted and not roadworthy..they do hold air though, lol)...and the rims are only temporary...hopefully wont ever even get put back on the trailer...i want new rims...we will see...i dont even know for sure if the paint will even hold up to the tire machine....

oh well...that was it for today...
laoutdoorsman
Teardrop Master

well..

Postby laoutdoorsman » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:30 am

kind of at a stand-still today...still waiting on epoxy to arrive...figured it would be here by now... ill mess with the trailer, decide what to do about my "rattle-can paintjob".... :thinking: :thinking:
laoutdoorsman
Teardrop Master

Postby CAJUN LADY » Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:17 pm

I think your paint job looks good. Is it the camera angle or is your axle sitting too far back?
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

axle...

Postby laoutdoorsman » Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:24 pm

its probably still a lil far back...its adjustable..i had moved it forward some (1 foot)from "previous duty"....ill probably still move it forward some more..gonna wait and see how it balances out......its a "floating axle"...just pull a couple bolts, jack up the frame and slide it to the next set of holes, and bolt it back...
laoutdoorsman
Teardrop Master

well...

Postby laoutdoorsman » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:03 pm

nothing accomplished today...other chores around the house...did fool with my lumber stack a lil bit though...got a lil farther along with finalized dimensions, and what-not...remember, i am not working from any plans...just "wing-ing it" from ideas in my mind(scary...) and a few lil rough sketches here and there...

i will move the axle forward another foot...

with all this rain and damp weather, a couple of my sheets of ply kinda buckled on me...so, that should be fun fooling with...any ideason straightening them back out?? i guess, it wont be too bad...i can just clamp everything down tight...
laoutdoorsman
Teardrop Master

rain, rain, geaux away

Postby laoutdoorsman » Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:07 pm

getting hammered by rain....everytime i try to get something done, the rain comes...i dont have the luxury of an indoor place to work, so im at the mercy...

im building a temporary shelter right now...pvc frame, ill cover it with plastic sheeting, and a tarp...we will see how that works...

ill post a pic once its complete...

the rebuild kit for the latch on my hitch coupler showed up...took all of about 5 minutes to install...lol

still no epoxy delivered yet...not that i could do anything with it with all this stupid rain...
laoutdoorsman
Teardrop Master

Re: rain, rain, geaux away

Postby robertaw » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:48 pm

laoutdoorsman wrote:
im building a temporary shelter right now...pvc frame, ill cover it with plastic sheeting, and a tarp...we will see how that works...

$89 at Wal-mart with free site to store shipping. Probably cheaper than you can build one.

http://www.walmart.com/Caravan-Canopy-10x20-Carport/ip/11007577

I'm seriously thinking about ordering one of these!
Roberta
robertaw
500 Club

canopy...

Postby laoutdoorsman » Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:35 am

umm...i wish i had seen this about 5 hours ago.... :shock: :shock:

i ahd no idea them things wer that cheap...i spent that much on pvc pip, glue, and plastic sheeting....

tent is built though...hopefully it will hold up...ill snap some pics in the morning...
laoutdoorsman
Teardrop Master

Re: canopy...

Postby robertaw » Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:55 am

laoutdoorsman wrote:umm...i wish i had seen this about 5 hours ago.... :shock: :shock:

i ahd no idea them things wer that cheap...i spent that much on pvc pip, glue, and plastic sheeting....

tent is built though...hopefully it will hold up...ill snap some pics in the morning...

Wal-mart car port would probably have taken a few weeks to get to store anyway. At least now you can work on your project right away. :thumbsup:
Roberta
robertaw
500 Club

gonna put it on hold

Postby laoutdoorsman » Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:33 pm

ok...nothing productive done today with the build....moved some stuff around, did a lil measuring..a little bit of staring....alot of scratching my head...

think im gonna put it on hold for just a lil bit...might do a lil design changing...

everything still planned...just the weather has been nasty, hadnt been able to get started good....the tent i built is holding up well....my gut is just telling me to hold up...got a few errands to do this week...girlfriend having surgery tom...ill think about it some, and figure some direction....

***im actually thinking about a "smaller" build...not sure how to go smaller and get what i want, though...im not scared at all of the big build---i love big projects....i work with "big stuff"...we build and lift stuff that weighs hundreds and hundreds of "tons"....(well, the cranes do the lifting..)

anyway...i aint goin nowhere...just might not build what i started out to ...
laoutdoorsman
Teardrop Master

Next

Return to Build Journals