Cider House...some finishing touches, 9.27.10

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Cider House...some finishing touches, 9.27.10

Postby Jiffypop207 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:11 pm

Just joined the site yesterday....sketched up a layout this morning. Picked up a 2" coupler when I was in a store earlier today. Ordered my axle earlier this evening from trailerpart.com. I went with a 3500lb Flexiride torsion axle with electric brakes. I plan to use a couple wheels that I have kicking around that used to be on my tow vehicle. I already used the other two of the four on a utility trailer that I built a few years back. They are a little aggressive for a trailer this size, but I like the look. Low and fat. Tonight I ordered WF-8735 from best converter to handle my 12v and 110v power needs. Here is a picture of my meager beginnings.
Lots to fill-in in the middle there. Hopefully I will be able to start on the frame next week when I receive my axle. I will leave you there tonight so I may go look for the stabilizes I want to use as well as a shore power receptacle. Hope you enjoy tuning in.

Adam
Last edited by Jiffypop207 on Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:29 am, edited 6 times in total.
Jiffypop207
Teardrop Master

Postby 2bits » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:17 pm

Well you are starting in the right place~ Your thread may be moved to the "Build Journals" forum shortly by a moderator, but they'll let ya know (a little lower on the main page), but I am wondering what are your plans like! A 3500lb axle is gonna be pretty stout for a 1500lb teardrop, but I don't know what you've got cookin up over there too! :twisted:
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby Jiffypop207 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:10 pm

It is in the build journals. body size is deemed to be 66"W x 126"L. I will try my best to throw a "ton" of stuff in there.

Adam
Jiffypop207
Teardrop Master

Postby 2bits » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:20 pm

Excellent! Looking forward to seeing the progress!
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby madjack » Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:50 am

Jiffy, I am worried about your axle choice...that is overkill by a massive measure for any typical tear...even if you had it derated to 2200#s it would still be massive...unless you are building a BIG TD, you are liable to beat it to death with that suspension setup...is it too late to call 'em and have it derated??? And of course, my second concern...where are the pics...we need pics to keep Aunties bubble oil in compliance...........
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:23 am

madjack wrote:Jiffy, I am worried about your axle choice...that is overkill by a massive measure for any typical tear...even if you had it derated to 2200#s it would still be massive...unless you are building a BIG TD, you are liable to beat it to death with that suspension setup...is it too late to call 'em and have it derated??? And of course, my second concern...where are the pics...we need pics to keep Aunties bubble oil in compliance...........
madjack 8)

Thank you for listing your concerns. I have read many a post by you when researching axle type/size. People usually say that the spring rating should be double the total weight of the trailer. In every post that I have read by you, you state that 50% of the trailer weight should be added to the total weight for calculating spring size. 3500lb axle is stout, but by your formula my total trailer weight needs to be 2333.33 lbs to ride nice and smooth. My plan is to have the body without tongue to be 5'-6"W x 10'-6"L. I also plan to have a receiver hitch bike rack (not that that is much weight), tongue box for grill and folding campsite furni storage. I also plan to have a Tempurpedic mattress, which is about 106lbs. My plan for the walls is full 3/4" outside sheathing, 1.5 foam and structure sandwich, and 1/4" interior sheathing. I do not plan to make a ultralight trailer by any means. But please continue to throw out your thoughts. They are very welcome. That picture in the first post is all I have to photo graph at the current time. More to follow for sure.

Adam

Postby madjack » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:07 am

Adam, the 50% overage for axle rating has to do with SPRING hung axles...not torsion axles which should be much closer to the actual weight being suspended...for the weight you indicate, I would have gone with a 25-27 hundred pound rating...why so heavy, regardless of tow vehicle, you will pay a weight penalty in fuel mileage for towing all that extra weight around...I mean, your wall plan is fairly extreme...a 3/4x1.5x1/4 is way more than needed...a 1/4x1.5x1/4 would be more than enough...even 1/8x1.5x1/8 would work as well...not being critical, just concerned..............
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Jiffypop207 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:20 pm

Hmmm...well worst case scenario i will have the beginnings of a nice utility trailer with this axle and will slip a proper one in place when final weight is tallied. Or maybe I can make a tanker sized water tank...LOL or change from bicycles to my Road King on the back haha! Thanks again.

Adam
Jiffypop207
Teardrop Master

Postby 2bits » Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:23 pm

Jiffypop207 wrote:Hmmm...well worst case scenario i will have the beginnings of a nice utility trailer with this axle and will slip a proper one in place when final weight is tallied. Or maybe I can make a tanker sized water tank...LOL or change from bicycles to my Road King on the back haha! Thanks again.

Adam

That's true, and it is good to look at things like that and be flexible, man I tell ya I changed my plans so many times and still doin it! I got my Torflex #9 Axle, (rated at 1500lbs) for $175 after tax from Redneck Trailer so it wouldn't be a super terrible thing (albeit quite painful still!) if ya had to do that. Other places were double that for some reason so keep looking if you need to go down that road.

Madjack is super knowledgable and trusted by all (can I say all?) just an FYI to his reputation . :D
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby madjack » Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:05 am

2bits wrote:.............................................................................................
Madjack is super knowledgable and trusted by all (can I say all?) just an FYI to his reputation . :D

:oops: :oops: damnit Thomas, now I can't walk thru the door without my swollen head getting stuck :D ;)
madjack 8)

p.s. thanks for the kind words...they are appreciated and I do try to be factual..........MJ

p.p.s. I don't know about all...I have severely PO a couple of folks in my time here(inadvertently of course).........MJ
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Chip » Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:34 am

Adam,,, over-kill or over build is one great mistake made on a lot of trailer builds,,, I overbuilt on my first teardrop, (4'6 x 9'6) and the dang thing was a bear to handle,,,, out on the interstate it pulled great but at camp or in tight places it was difficult,,, 1400 lbs, 130 lb tongue weight,, my second is light weight,,, (750) lbs loaded and I can lift the tongue and walk it into a tight spot if needed,, What kind of tow vehicle are ya gonna use?? tongue weight may also be a concern with a real heavy trailer,,,
Another real bad side of overbuild is cost,,, 3/4 ply with 1/4 inside is just dang expensive compared to a 1/4 ourter and 1/8 inside and unless you are a die hard winter camper 1-1/2" insulated walls are overkill,,, I have 1/2" walls on mine and with a tiny heater I am comfortable in sub freezing temps,,, if ya want insulated walls go with 3/4" space ,,, when everything is glued and screwed together you end up with a super strong unit, not necessary to have a super strong, super heavy one,,

with all dat said,,, I am gonna put in this disclaimer,,, I damn sure aint a professional but there are many on this forum and their experience and information in building is very valuable,,, so all this above babling is from an ameture wood butcher and is just my humble opinion,,, :thumbsup:

Road King rider huh,,, head south,,, we got some fine mountain riding here,,,, if ya like twisties and dragging ya pegs :D http://www.tailofthedragon.com/

ride safe and happy building
chipper
Living large,,,travling small !!!
54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Serro Scotty rebuild(in progress)
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Jiffypop207 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:30 pm

Thanks for all the insight...keep it coming. I am like a sponge. I will probably thin up the walls as suggested, but I was thinking more sound than warmth anywho. Stupid plastic training wheels on pavement. I am not to concerned with maneuverability as much as down the road. We'll make it fit haha when we get there. plus with a door on each side should never have to spin it around at the sight.

Adam
Jiffypop207
Teardrop Master

Postby Jiffypop207 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:24 pm

Well today is official build day #1. Went to a local steel supplier and picked up the metal for my frame. Brought a list with me of the lengths quantities of each steel profile I wanted. After work I got home and laid out the four outsides, tacked them in place, then squared the box. To hold the box square I tacked a couple temporary pieces on opposing corners, diagonals if you will. No pictures up to this point as the camera battery was dead. I was not going to waste building time to wait for the charger so I could show every detail, so on I went. I began to add the the other cross members and tack them in place. After that I put the tongue in place followed by the tongue twist supports and tongue agles supports. I used angles as well a s a straight tongue because I intend to have a tongue box of some sort as well as a propane tank holder. Here is the underside all tacked in place
Here is the frame all welded up.
A couple close-ups of some welds
Image.
Now I am in a holding pattern again until my axle arrives as well as my receiver hitch piece for the rear of the trailer. I am putting on a receiver hitch to use this bike rack that I built last year.
I am also waiting for my stabilizer jacks to arrive so I can figure out where I want to mount them. After the jacks, axle, and hitch arrive I will flip the trailer and finish the welding. Here is my tow vehicle if anyone is interested.
Hopefully my parts arrive soon!

Good night for now.

Adam
Jiffypop207
Teardrop Master

Postby 2bits » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:13 pm

That's a great start! Looks like 2x2 frame 2x3 tongue and some angle for the angle! That is well thought out! Ogling your bike rack too! :thumbsup:
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby wlivesey » Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:54 am

Nice frame... Nice moped/scooter.
wlivesey
The 300 Club

Next

Return to Build Journals