Cider House...some finishing touches, 9.27.10

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby Jiffypop207 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:19 pm

planovet wrote:Nice job! :thumbsup:

Not to be picky but are you going to powder coat the fender mounts to match the fenders? :thinking:

No. I like that fact that they stick out. A good reminder to myself of the personal time put into the unit.

Adam
Jiffypop207
Teardrop Master

Postby Jiffypop207 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:26 pm

KenC wrote:Great build thanks for sharing, especially the details of the hatch and fender mount. Can you tell me the dimensions of the fenders , where you bought them and the tire/ wheel size

I beleive the tires are 245/55/R15. The fenders are 13" wide and I got them from KMT trailer parts online. Says they are for 16" and 16.5" wheels, but I needed the width so the stand off the tire a little more then they were designed to do.

Adam
Jiffypop207
Teardrop Master

Postby Jiffypop207 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:51 am

Slowly but surely, getting things accomplished. The heat and humidity does a number on my motivation to get out in the garage and cover myself with sawdust or aluminum chips. I got the door construction figured out the way I wanted. I wanted the interior to be the birch bead board like the rest of the cabin and the exterior to be aluminum skin, but all I could find locally for the door trim was aluminum c-channel with 3/4" interior width. Meant to be used on 3/4" plywood as many have done for their doors here on this site. I ended up planing some 1x stock down to 1/2" for the frame of my doors. I do not have any pictures of the frames themselves, but two days ago I insulated the door frames with attached interior paneling with some spray foam. I may have been a little overzealous, but it will all work out.

So first order of business is to trim off the excess spray foam. I simply use a hand saw and it takes less then a minute per door.

Hear is a picture of the interior panel view

Yesterday evening I rough cut the aluminum skin and cut the hole for the window. Here is that piece ready for assembly.

It fits! I don't know why it wouldn't, but you just never know.

Window silconed and screwed-in. Excess aluminum skin has also been trimmed flush with door frame.

Popped on a piece of channel to see how she fits. A whisker snug requiring dead-blow taps to seat it properly. No distortion of the channel equals a perfect fit.

Cut the two long sides first them the top and bottom. Here is the four sides on and fastened with a line of silicone and a few countersunk screws.

A good look at the corner with the countersunk screws. Touched it with the sander to take off the sharp corner.

Set it in place to see, first if it still fit. It does! and Second, to see how it looks. Sweet! Don't mind all the finger/hand prints. Will clean it all up at completion.

An interior view

You can also see in a couple of those last pictures some of the silicone I have finished on the body. Maybe tonight I will do the other door, then it will be time to mount them. Once mounted I will do the handles and trim the inside of the window.

That's it for now.

Adam
Jiffypop207
Teardrop Master

Postby Martini » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:09 am

It's coming along great :thumbsup:
Martini
Teardrop Builder

Postby Woodbutcher » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:48 pm

Awesome job! Keep it going. I am going to be at the skinning part soon. I'll keep following your build. :applause:
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Jiffypop207 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:36 am

Got both the doors swinging on hinges. Latches will be done once I pick up the weatherstripping. Roll the trailer outside to do some silicone, sweep the garage, and to just admire my work from something other than 3 or less feet from it. It looks great when you get to step back a bit and stare at it.

Now a little tutorial on how I do my silicone. Pardon the nighttime shots.

First I tape off both sides of where I want the silicone seal

Then I apply the silicone and spread it with my finger to cover the entire desired area and remove excess

And then the most important and satifying part, I peel off the tape while the silicone is still wet

It gives you a nice clean professional edge.

Adam
Jiffypop207
Teardrop Master

Postby aggie79 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:57 am

Looking great Adam!

I bet that was a great feeling in rolling out your teardrop from the garage. Hope to get there some day myself!
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby Martini » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:59 am

:applause: It's looking really good.
Martini
Teardrop Builder

Postby Jiffypop207 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:46 am

Got a a few items off the to do list last night.

Here are some pictures of the hatch weather stripping

In this picture you can see the weather stripping profiles I used. Door profile on the left and Hatch profile on the right.

Here are some shot of the door weatherstripping. All four sides are done now. I did not snap a picture of the latch side complete.

I am using this undercoating inside the wheel well.

Here it is before

Prepped and ready

Sprayed

Done

I got the side doors latched and functional. Here a few pictures of my latches.

Here is a little extra support piece I put in for the latch striker to hit/pull against.

When working on the latches it really is required to hold the door in the closed position to make sure it will be seated the way you want when latched. Working alone this poses some issues, being in the cabin and pushing the door against the weatherstripping at the same time. Here is how I achieved holding the door closed in to where I wanted it.

The necessary to do list is getting very short to the point that I will have it complete either tonight or tomorrow. Then I can start on the creature comfort list of things I would like to add or modify. Can't wait.

The state inspector will be here Wednesday morning to inspect the trailer in order to issue a VIN # for it. I don't need one, but I figure it is better identified for insurance reasons and should only help if I ever choose to sell her.

Adam
Jiffypop207
Teardrop Master

Postby mrsjiffypop207 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:55 am

Mrs. Jiffy Pop 207 can't wait to camp in her either. I am trying to convince him to get a disco globe to hang on the underside of the hatch in the up position (in the kitchen) so i can rock out in the evenings. We''ll be all the rage in the camp ground. hehe

I love you honey, I am really roud of you!!!

:applause:
mrsjiffypop207
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:26 am

An awesome build, for sure! :thumbsup:

Where did you source the weatherstripping? :thinking:
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.
1 John 4:9-11

My Teardrop build pictures
Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Postby Jiffypop207 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:08 am

Cliffmeister2000 wrote:An awesome build, for sure! :thumbsup:

Where did you source the weatherstripping? :thinking:

Local auto parts store. CarQuest. They were 2 of 5 or 6 universal profiles they had. Door is a side bulb, 3/4" and the hatch one I used is 7/8" tall and comes with double-sided foam tape on the bottom.

Adam
Jiffypop207
Teardrop Master

Postby Jiffypop207 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:10 am

mrsjiffypop207 wrote:Mrs. Jiffy Pop 207 can't wait to camp in here either. I am trying to convince him to get a disco globe to hang on the underside of the hatch in the up position (in the kitchen) so i can rock out in the evenings. We''ll be all the rage in the camp ground. hehe

I love you honey, I am really proud of you!!!

:applause:

Thanks hun!
Jiffypop207
Teardrop Master

Postby Carter » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:54 pm

Nice job Adam, the aluminum gets looking fingerprinted while building, after awhile it all evens out. Check my album. The ones pulling it out of the garage look real splotchy, the ones I take now look like a vintage trailer. I tried to polish it, didn't work with my 3003 H-14 aluminum. Now I just use a little soft scrub on it every year. It looks old and I'm good with that. Came through Customs from Canada a couple of weeks ago. The border agent didn't care where we were born, raised, how much acholol or tobacco we had, just wanted to know what year the trailer was. I told him I built it in 2004 and he said "Really" and let us pass

Jim
I need a new Avatar. I'd put my dog up there but she doesn't look much like me. She's the skinny one.
Carter
Gold Donating Member

Postby Jiffypop207 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:30 am

Carter wrote:Nice job Adam, the aluminum gets looking fingerprinted while building, after awhile it all evens out. Check my album. The ones pulling it out of the garage look real splotchy, the ones I take now look like a vintage trailer. I tried to polish it, didn't work with my 3003 H-14 aluminum. Now I just use a little soft scrub on it every year. It looks old and I'm good with that. Came through Customs from Canada a couple of weeks ago. The border agent didn't care where we were born, raised, how much acholol or tobacco we had, just wanted to know what year the trailer was. I told him I built it in 2004 and he said "Really" and let us pass

Jim

Thanks for the advice. You have a gorgeous trailer by the way. Extremely well thought out and executed. What is the shower mixing valve for under the table seat? Do you drop the table and some how use the space as a shower?

Adam
Jiffypop207
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals