Cider House...some finishing touches, 9.27.10

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby parnold » Mon May 03, 2010 6:33 pm

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

The woodwork is fantastic! Great job!!!!
parnold
Donating Member

Postby Miriam C. » Mon May 03, 2010 7:30 pm

:o :thumbsup: Thank you Adam!! Amazing how something so simple can be so beautiful! Good work! :thumbsup:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Jiffypop207 » Sun May 09, 2010 12:17 pm

More updates with pictures of course. I think it was wednesday night I got my side marker lights on and the porch lights. After some testing on friday night I found one of my porch lights had a short or turns out a pinch. So I need to remount the porch lights so one is hanging by the wires in the pictures. The fenders are just sitting on the tires to get them out of the way. They are not mounted yet. Yesterday I got the formica on counter top, finished up the electrical and installed the WFCO converter, the installed the tounge box, ran the conduit from the tongue box to the cabin, mounted the battery and bottoned up those wire connections. Time for the pics

Front shot with the box on
Conduit from box to cabin
Battery mounted in box, I cut in a vent in the rear of the box. I intend to make a cover for the wires and the battery
Shore power hook-up and exterior GFCI plug
WFCO converter installed with 12v socket and and interior GFCI outlet
Formica in the galley
Some overall shots

More to come. Thanks for looking.

Adam
Jiffypop207
Teardrop Master

Postby grizz » Sun May 09, 2010 4:29 pm

Said it before, I say it again, love the interior, and actually had my hands on some floor tiles that were on sale at the "Poundshop" last weekend.

Would love a large tongue box like that too.
Greetings from England.

Rian.

Hoping to get it all done in time.
grizz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby starleen2 » Sun May 09, 2010 10:00 pm

Impressive :thumbsup:
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby aggie79 » Mon May 10, 2010 7:41 am

Wow! :thumbsup: :applause: :thumbsup:
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby Jiffypop207 » Mon May 10, 2010 9:28 am

Thanks for the kind compliments. I got ambitious yesterday afternoon after my post and an early dinner. I went back out an framed the hatch. Funny how something that you have been dreading/avoiding, comes together as easy as everything else has once you dive into it. Have are a couple pictures of the hatch frame resting roughly in place.

Should be sheathing the outside tonight after I dope out the latch situation and the prop situation/location.

More to follow soon.

Adam
Jiffypop207
Teardrop Master

Postby Rigsby » Mon May 10, 2010 5:03 pm

Nice hatch framing. I like the way you have added triangulating pieces to stiffen it up :applause:
DOOIN IT THE YAARKSHA WAY--FA NOWT, THA NUS !!
Rigsby
500 Club

neighbor with questions

Postby Hunterwinco » Mon May 10, 2010 8:54 pm

Howdy Jiffy,
I have been lurking for about 2 years while trying to talk my wife into letting me build a teardrop or standie (probably a squidget). :worship: I have seen your thread before, but never noticed you were near by until I saw OOB below your username. I really like the looks of your trailer. How big is that Lincoln mig? How heavy/thick is the tubing that you used? Where do you get your steel here locally? Did you have to do anything with the state to register your trailer, or do you just go to town hall and tell them that you built a camper? I'm sure I can think of more questions! :thinking:
Hunterwinco
Teardrop Inspector

Re: neighbor with questions

Postby Jiffypop207 » Thu May 13, 2010 12:39 pm

Hunterwinco wrote:Howdy Jiffy,
I have been lurking for about 2 years while trying to talk my wife into letting me build a teardrop or standie (probably a squidget). :worship: I have seen your thread before, but never noticed you were near by until I saw OOB below your username. I really like the looks of your trailer. How big is that Lincoln mig? The one that shows up in the pictures is 220V unit I think the model is a 180C. I also have a 110v unit in my other garage that I built my utility trailer with that would easily do the job. The 110v unit I bought used, it is a Lincoln as well and actually came from the Home Depot originally. How heavy/thick is the tubing that you used? 3/16" 2" x 3" tubing Where do you get your steel here locally? I got mine on route 4 in Alfred, might be Sanford as it is real close to the line. There is a place in South Portland by the Wok-In and the Red Wing boot store that I think is called American Steel that is a much bigger outfit, but I believe you can walk -up and buy direct from them. Be prepared to haul 20' heavy sticks home. Did you have to do anything with the state to register your trailer, or do you just go to town hall and tell them that you built a camper? Seeing as I built my frame and it is a camper I will have to have it inspected as part of the requirement to apply for a VIN number. The homemade utility trailer I built a few years back did not require a VIN application. I am not upset about having to apply for the VIN as if I sell the TD down the road it will make the transaction painless. I'm sure I can think of more questions! :thinking:
Lay them on, no worries.

Adam
Jiffypop207
Teardrop Master

Postby Jiffypop207 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:35 pm

Well it has been a bit since my last update, but that does not mean that I have not been working on the TD. I got some things done that really make the trailer take shape. First thing I did was finish skining and triming the hatch. I had my neighbor come over to help me slide it in place (got a good sweat going on that).

Before you make any comment on how high up that thing is (it is pretty tall) I took a picture with myself in the "kitchen" to show why it had to be so high.

A couple pictures of the side trim on the hatch

A picture of the hatch open from the side to show the end of the hinge

One of my favorite pictures ot the TD, the profile of the hatch closed. I am really pleased with the way the trim came together here.

Next of the list of to-dos was mount the fenders. Spent quite some time while doing other parts of the TD thinking of exactly how I wanted to mount the fenders. I know that I did not want to rely on screwing them to the sidewall. I made these mounts out of aluminum

I had the fenders powdercoated gloss black.

I am using stainless steel u-bolts to fasten the fenders to the mounts I made, 2 in the front and 2 in the rear.

Here are some pictures of the fenders mounted

Some pictures with the fenders mounted and the hatch in the closed position

I also got my flat panel tv mounted in the cabin

Doors are next on the list, then a bunch of seam siliconing.

That's it for now.

Adam
Jiffypop207
Teardrop Master

Postby KenC » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:01 am

Great build thanks for sharing, especially the details of the hatch and fender mount. Can you tell me the dimensions of the fenders , where you bought them and the tire/ wheel size
KenC
Donating Member

Postby Martini » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:25 am

Its turning out very nicely. :thumbsup:
Martini
Teardrop Builder

Postby Woodbutcher » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:46 am

Beautiful job, you should be very proud. Wait till you get it out on the road. Thats when all the fun begins. :applause:
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby planovet » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:59 am

Nice job! :thumbsup:

Not to be picky but are you going to powder coat the fender mounts to match the fenders? :thinking:
ImageMark (& Cindi)
Visit our website: Little Swiss Teardrop

I was wondering why the water balloon was getting bigger... and then it hit me.

ImageImageImageImage
planovet
The Cat Man

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals