My Giant Teardrop (updated 04/21/10)

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby Ivar the Red » Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:19 pm

Posted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:15 am

bobhenry wrote:RE; the mini tear

I have the exact same frame under eggbert. It didn't pull well and backed up like trying to push a log chain. I purchased 9' ( I think) of 2x2x1/4 square tube and drilled and bolted it to each crossmember from front to back. This extended the tongue 18" +/- and made a huge difference in handling.

Just an F.Y.I. after you try and back the short tongued little devil up.
Johnny
BUILD THREAD
Winning is not a sometime thing; it's an all time thing. You don't win once in a while, you don't do things right once in a while, you do them right all the time. Winning is habit. Unfortunately, so is losing. - Vince Lombardi
ImageImageImage
Ivar the Red
HOME RUN TILT

Postby Ivar the Red » Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:21 pm

Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:29 am

Ivar the Red wrote:I got a little more done today...

This will be the hatch, it's not attached yet...but it will open all the way like that...

And here are both of my trailers all tucked in for bed...and waiting for "The Man" to loosen up his wallet...

Do ya like how I got all "artsy" and shot them in b&w? :lol:

This will not be the final version of this tear...this is the hurry and get something together before the Palo-Duro Gathering version. In the future I'm gonna take Bob's advise and lengthen the tongue. That'll give me a little more room to add more to the front. My goal is to make both trailers have the same shape, kind of.
Johnny
BUILD THREAD
Winning is not a sometime thing; it's an all time thing. You don't win once in a while, you don't do things right once in a while, you do them right all the time. Winning is habit. Unfortunately, so is losing. - Vince Lombardi
ImageImageImage
Ivar the Red
HOME RUN TILT

Postby Ivar the Red » Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:27 pm

That's almost all of it...shortened and condensed from 18 pages. :? :lol:

I gleaned out any technical advise that was given and design features I've come up with.

Here is a link to the original...in case you want a laugh or two, some post are quite funny...

http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=23234&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
Johnny
BUILD THREAD
ImageImageImage
Ivar the Red
HOME RUN TILT

Postby Ivar the Red » Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:31 pm

Posted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:21 am

davkrat wrote:Looks like my trailer:

I deffinately second the problem backing up, it is a total pain. I have been towing and backing boat and ATV trailers for work for the last 12 years and I can't get this thing to go straight for more than 10'. I also picked up larger 12" tires and wheels from HF, those dinky 8" scared me.

And my "Barbie" tow rig:

I built the trailer to help carry camping gear, having two kids the space in the car starts to get limited. I actually finished it up just in time to go to Burning Man, hence the mural ;) I actually saw a few teardrops there. If anyone doesn't know what Burning Man is about:

Image[/list]
Johnny
BUILD THREAD
ImageImageImage
Ivar the Red
HOME RUN TILT

Postby Ivar the Red » Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:32 pm

Posted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:39 am

Ivar the Red wrote:
davkrat wrote:I built the trailer to help carry camping gear, having two kids the space in the car starts to get limited.

That's what the little one will be for exactly. Short camping trips to spots around close where the teardrop will be too much.(did I just say that?)
:lol:
I haven't towed it anywhere yet...but yes the 8" wheels are on the hit list, if only to get a little more height. I also want to take the advise of a longer towbar. Eventually I want to make it look similar to the bigger trailer.

Very cool picture.

Johnny
BUILD THREAD
ImageImageImage
Ivar the Red
HOME RUN TILT

Postby Ivar the Red » Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:34 pm

Posted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:24 pm

bobhenry wrote:The best thing you can do for those little 40 x 48's is to take the stock tongue to the scrap yard and while there purchase 9'6" of 2x2x1/4 square tube and attach it from the back rail to the front. and take the stock coupler and bolt in on the front end of the tube.

This will make your trailer a totally different critter . It will tow better and you can back it up without difficulty. I simply bolted mine on with 5/16 grade 5 bolts. Whole process took just over an hour. An added bonus is if you weld the very back one you can shim with flat stock inside the tube and install a class 2 ball mount or bike rack or cargo platform.
Johnny
BUILD THREAD
ImageImageImage
Ivar the Red
HOME RUN TILT

Postby Ivar the Red » Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:38 pm

Some of you may know that I did get laid-off earlier this year...but I've been re-employed at a better job for about 2 months now. Hopefully when the finances get straightened out again...these builds can start again.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Johnny
BUILD THREAD
ImageImageImage
Ivar the Red
HOME RUN TILT

My Giant Teardrop (updated 10/12/09) rain damage

Postby Ivar the Red » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:55 am

I think I have screwed up. I went the "cheap" route and put a plastic sheet over my unfinished wood. Over the course of time, I guess the plastic has gone bad, and during this last few days of wind and rain, the wood has been thoroughly soaked...

I'm wondering if I can just give it a good sanding and recover it (with something better) and everything will be ok?
Johnny
BUILD THREAD
ImageImageImage
Ivar the Red
HOME RUN TILT

Postby CPnthrfan » Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:01 am

i been looking forward to the huge teardrop lol
CPnthrfan
Teardrop Advisor

My Giant Teardrop (updated 04/14/10)

Postby Ivar the Red » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:18 pm

It's been a while, but finally got back to work on the tear drops. First on the list is finishing my little cargo hauler. Still have some finish work to do, but at least it's warm enough and light enough to work in my outdoor shop. You guys with garages should count your blessings.
:lol:

Here is kind of what might get painted on it to snazz it up a little...
Johnny
BUILD THREAD
ImageImageImage
Ivar the Red
HOME RUN TILT

Postby Ivar the Red » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:10 pm

I have been busy the last couple of days. I got a little more done to my trailer tonight...

Trim for the top and front...
Does anyone have any thoughts about Liquid Nails holding this on at highway speeds? I think I may put a few finish nails in as well.

The back, with the hatch up and removable grillin table installed...
I know it's not a Coleman (it has a Coleman Fuel bottle on it) I'm trying to resist.
Johnny
BUILD THREAD
ImageImageImage
Ivar the Red
HOME RUN TILT

Postby Ivar the Red » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:56 pm

The artist at work...

No more photochop...

Johnny
BUILD THREAD
ImageImageImage
Ivar the Red
HOME RUN TILT

Postby planovet » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:08 pm

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
ImageMark (& Cindi)
Visit our website: Little Swiss Teardrop

I was wondering why the water balloon was getting bigger... and then it hit me.

ImageImageImageImage
planovet
The Cat Man

Previous

Return to Build Journals