scotty "build" 1973, basket case,,, I WILL WIN !!!

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

scotty "build" 1973, basket case,,, I WILL WIN !!!

Postby Chip » Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:07 pm

dad gum it, I finally got a few pics downloaded so here they are,,, its of a 1773 Scotty Serro sportsman,,, the box is 10' long, and 6'3" wide and is being shortened to 5'11" inside,,, I lucked out and have all the original metal for the sides and 5 windows,,, so they will be recycled on new trailer,,, the top is gonna be TPO (good stuff) fully adhered to 1/8" plywood,,, a 4' piece of 032 aluminum from the frame up 4' on the front and back,,,In the back will be a 4'6" wide x 6'3" futon bed dat folds up into a couch,,, front will have a small table and seating for two,,, 12v lights thruout and 120 for coffee and ac,,,, no sink and no propane,,,, ,,, well so much for da verbage,, here is the start,,,, more to come,, I swear

back to making sawdust

chipper :thumbsup: :picklejuice: :hammer:
Living large,,,travling small !!!
54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Serro Scotty rebuild(in progress)
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Ageless » Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:12 pm

Charge!!!!!

Just one 'hmmmmm' . . .with that 2x outside of the tire; got enuf clearance to change it? Looks kinnda tight
Strangers on this road we are on; we are not two, we are one - Raymond Douglas Davies
Ageless
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Chip » Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:37 pm

yeah it would Ageless,,,, they are temporary and will be cut out to match the wheel opening when its finalized along with the section of 1x4 in front of the tire,,,, just dont want to cut off too much and for me dats the first thing I would do,, measure 15 times and cut once,,,, :lol: hope for the best,,,
54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Juneaudave » Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:48 pm

A very suitable companion for the Pickle Inn!!!! I had no idea you were building. Might need the big bottle of Crown for this!!
:wine:
Juneaudave
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Re: scotty "build" 1973, basket case,,, I WILL WIN

Postby Spotman » Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:01 pm

Chip wrote:dad gum it, I finally got a few pics downloaded so here they are,,, its of a 1773 Scotty Serro sportsman,,,
chipper :thumbsup: :picklejuice: :hammer:

:o Wow Chip, did they tow those with horses?
8) 8) 8)
2018 Heartland Terry Classic V21
2018 Toyota Tundra DC
Spotman
500 Club

Postby len19070 » Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:19 pm

Lookin' good there Chip. They are a neat trailer.

One thing I tried to do on mine was make the rear bed at least 54" wide, but trying to keep with the original layout it just never happened.

That narrow bed in the rear is tough for 2 people. When my wife goes with me we put the table down as a bed for her.

But then waking up in the morning and sitting at the table with a good cup of coffee and lookin' out the window in my underwear is out.

http://s26.photobucket.com/albums/c106/len19070/Scotty/

http://serroscottycamperenthusiasts.com ... IDING.html

Happy Trails

Len
:peace: :peace: :peace: :peace: :peace:
http://s26.photobucket.com/user/len1907 ... 20trailers

"If you do good things, good things will happen to you"..... Earl Hickey
len19070
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Chip » Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:58 pm

Dave,, I think "A" bottle of Crown aint gonna last thru this build,,,, but the two previous teardrops have tought me a lot and I will struggle thru this one as well,,, I just hope it turns out half as nice ans the heirloom trailer you built,,, man dats a fine piece of woodwork :thumbsup:

Spotman,,, we gonna have to meet up one of these days and break bread,,, or crack a bottle,,, whichever comes first,, :lol: heck this thing was originally built the same year I got out of the military,,,, its been a few years,,,

Len,, thanks for the links,,, I wanted a bigger bed and 54" at least,,, soooo the galley cabnet had to shrink up a little,, but I got a solution for dat too,, 8) I think :thinking: instead of builtin seating in the front at the table I am gonna use fold up chairs,,, table folded up its typical scotty arrangement,,, table down and the chairs can be turned facing bed and used as seating for lie telling,,, and a flip up counter extender from the galley towards the front window,,, should give me about 5 foot of counter space,,,, well dats the plan anyway,,, the one thing thats has me twisted up is the door and door frame,,, I got a few ideas but am open to more,,,

This thing is definately gonna challange my wood butcher skills,,, and cause me to bend a brain cell or three,,,, but what the heck,,,, a man gotta have a toy or two ,,, aint we?? can I get an AMEN!!!!!!

chipper

chipper
54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Steve_Cox » Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:22 pm

Chip,

Sure looks like fun, I'd like do a frame up restoration next. You are an inspiration. :thumbsup:
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby Mike_La » Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:35 pm

Looking good, Chip. :thumbsup:

I've got a Standy on my to-do list for the future.

Keep the pics coming.

Mike
Mike

"Believe you can and you're halfway there."
Theodore Roosevelt
Mike_La
Silver Donating Member

Postby Ageless » Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:45 pm

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh . . . . .men!!!!
Strangers on this road we are on; we are not two, we are one - Raymond Douglas Davies
Ageless
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Spotman » Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:23 pm

Chip wrote:Spotman,,, we gonna have to meet up one of these days and break bread,,, or crack a bottle,,, whichever comes first,, :lol: heck this thing was originally built the same year I got out of the military,,,, its been a few years,,,
chipper

8) Just couldn't resist Chip, we may get a chance to toss a few, I am trying my hardest to get to the "White Trash Christmas" gathering. D@mn work keeps getting in the way.

Bob
2018 Heartland Terry Classic V21
2018 Toyota Tundra DC
Spotman
500 Club

Postby Alfred » Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:33 pm

Hey Chip,

Great to see the pictures and the build starting! Can't hardly wait to drive South down the mountain to see it sometime. We were actually in Greenville, SC last week. Our Daughter had a problem with her leg braces and we had to visit Shriners Hospital for the afternoon to get them fixed. They do great work there, it is worth the drive from Asheville.

If you ever get to a part of the build where you need a second set of hands, let me know.

Before long, I will want to come down and show you my camper, which is coming right along, hope to be finished someday soon!

Keep us posted!

AL in Asheville :thumbsup:
4 minute video of our build - A 5x8 Camper for a family of 5 - http://youtu.be/CYGTlkfpIhY
How we built a 5x8 camper for a family of 5, using a utility trailer with an incorporated bunk bed for the kids.
From plain trailer to campground!

ImageImageImage
Also - More pictures here: http://flic.kr/ps/225piC
Alfred
Silver Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:51 pm

Yay, Chip! Glad to see you posting your build and innovative ideas. I'll be watching with interest! :applause:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Chip » Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:55 am

Steve ty ty,, but yall are the inspiration ,, or should I say the temtations to build again ,,,, since I dont have full time female supervison I tend to get in trouble making my own decesions,,,,, :lol:

Mike,, I been wanting a standie for a while now and sorta hoped for one in good shape,, I hadnt planned on a ground up build,,, after having two teardrops its gonna be a change standing up to put my pants on ,,, and Coffee pot inside,,,, wooohooooo

Sharon,,, ty ,,, I have a hard time wid all the computer technology,, so for me to post pics is a real accomplishment,,,, but I think I got it firured out,,, kinda sorta!

Al,,, one of these days we gonna have to do the show me yours, show ya mine thing for sure,,,, and yours is definately looking good,,, I know ya are getting excited now that its coming together,,,, :thumbsup:

thanks everybody for the good words ,,,, I just hope it comes together like I want it and wont be shunned in the campground,,, I could always sneak in after dark and suprise em first thing in the morning,,, :twisted:

time to make sawdust
chipper
54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:35 am

Lookin real good Chip! Thanks for the pictures ;)
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Next

Return to Build Journals