scotty "build" 1973, basket case,,, I WILL WIN !!!

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby G-MAN 88 » Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:40 pm

Hello Chip,

I am starting something very similar to your project. Mine is a 1970 Shasta Compact, still in the destruction phase. This is my first camper project, so I will be watching your progress carefully. It looks great, so keep on ponderin, and taking pictures, so maybe I won't have to ponder so much.

Thanks for taking the time to document your work!

Gordon
G-MAN 88
Teardrop Inspector

Postby doug hodder » Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:01 pm

Hey Chip....been watching your build....I'm building one based on the designs on a mid 60's Scotty that I helped a bit on last winter courtesy of Steve E. It looks like the drop floor in yours is more than the earlier ones. What you've done so far really looks great! Between you, Len and Steve E and the Scotty site...maybe I can get it together. Scotties...they aren't just dogs!!! Mine'll be a cross breed! Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Chip » Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:40 am

Gordon: if you havent taken the door and drop well apart yet,,, do it slowley and take lots of pics, and make a lot of sketches of existing pices and how they all go together,,, trying to figure out how to build the drop well around the door area and what should go where is the one area that has given me a fit,,, :thinking: A little piece here and a support there, and a cut here and its all flying by the seat of my pants ,, so to speak,,, Good luck with it and be gentle wid da old girl taking her apart,,, :thumbsup: ,,
Doug,, hving followed some of ya previous builds what ever ya come up with is gonna be a piece of art,,,, and probably have a unique twist or three,,, I am looking forward to seeing whats up dat sleeve of yours on this one,,, I am not sure what the well depth standard is but mine is 8" from top of well to top of main floor,, I was able to spend a lil time in a friends Scotty this weekend ,,(rained all day camping) This was good to get ideas how it was originally done but I think I am gonna simplify a couple things ie: no goucho,,, just a bed ,,,, but its staying 4'6" instead of the standard 4 footer,,, maybe the decal on the front and back should be a dog of ?? heritage and say "Serro Mutt" :lol:

have a great week,,, chipper
Living large,,,travling small !!!
54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Serro Scotty rebuild(in progress)
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:32 am

Pet rescue is good but mixed breeds are sturdier and sometimes smarter...Looks like you're combining the best of both! :lol: :thumbsup: Nothing wrong with mixing it up a bit and making it better.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Chip » Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:31 pm

well I did an oops! I got the floor installed before I put the wheel drums in sooo,, I hadda take it back apart (modular is great aint it) and install and waterproof them,,, put a fresh coating on floor and well while it was appart,,, anyway,, here it is :sans previous work,,,

this is spose to be fun aint it :thumbsup:
54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby doug hodder » Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:26 am

Chip... What are you going to do on the interior walls? Was yours originally done in a speckled finish? I'm thinking I might do that on the one I'm building. I'm tired of doing the finish on the natural wood. The Zolatone is a bit much, but on Steve E's he did a finish using a nylon bristled brush and we were able to speckle it so that it wasn't too overpowering. It appears that you have plenty of clearance over those wheels in those tubs! This'll be fun, we are about at the same stage of build so I'm looking forward to seeing your progress as I go along. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Chip » Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:42 am

Doug,,, I havent a clue as to what the original walls were,,, when I acquired the frame, it had a bit of the floor behind the foot well, the wheel tubs and the exterior side metal and windows stacked on top,,, I roped it all down and pulled it home,,, I told my daughter COME LOOK WHAT i GOT, at which she rolled her eyes and shook her head,,,, Dang,,, I was proud of my treasure,,, :D I plan on using some natural wood inside but paint is prob gonna win out on ceiling and cabnets just to break up the all wood thing,,, The tubs have good clearance but what the pic doesnt show is tallllll 15 inch tires sitting under them,,, I since pulled the 14" rims off the tear, switched them out and dropped the floor 2" which is mobetter for me,,, since I am not going to try and restore the scotty but build a Scotty like trailer, I can use about anything I want and still be right :thumbsup: I have reinstalled the bed frame, cabnet base and now trying to figure out the doors,

yep this gonna be fun :thumbsup:

pics to follow soon,, I promice
chipper

P/S one good thing about the 14" rims,,, I think I can actually get the Scotty out of the garage with about an inc h or so clearance,,, :D
54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Chip » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:04 pm

bolting stuff back on,,,,, hopefully no more oops

chipper
54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

Your One Allotted Oops...

Postby Alfred » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:44 pm

Chip wrote:bolting stuff back on,,,,, hopefully no more oops [/img]

chipper

Hey Chipper,

Now that you've had your one allotted 'oops' for the build, I think you're good to go!

Still looks great!

AL in Asheville :thumbsup:
4 minute video of our build - A 5x8 Camper for a family of 5 - http://youtu.be/CYGTlkfpIhY
How we built a 5x8 camper for a family of 5, using a utility trailer with an incorporated bunk bed for the kids.
From plain trailer to campground!

ImageImageImage
Also - More pictures here: http://flic.kr/ps/225piC
Alfred
Silver Donating Member

Postby Ageless » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:52 pm

Dunno how much help this is, but . . . .

http://www.rv-restoration.net/scotty-res/Scottyres-6.htm
Strangers on this road we are on; we are not two, we are one - Raymond Douglas Davies
Ageless
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Chip » Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:11 pm

NOW ya share wid me,,,,, :lol: :thumbsup: ,,,,, gotta long way to go and still dont have answers to all da questions,,,

thank ya agless,,,,

chipper
54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby CAJUN LADY » Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:03 pm

Chipster, it's coming along nicely buddy! Are you still going to install your "surprise"? :twisted: I can't wait to see it finished. Mine has been put on the back burner. We cut back to 4 days a week at work so less pay means less fun. :( But that won't stop me from camping.

Hope one day we can meet at a gathering with your new Scotty. ;)
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Postby Chip » Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:25 pm

:thumbsup: AYUP ! the accessory is definately going in,,,, I was bet a $100.00 bucks a few weeks ago and I WILL NOT loose,,, :D Economic times are definately not good,,, :( ,, hang in there girl,,, do some serious scrounging and ya might be surprised at what will pop up,,,, Except for a few 1x6's and a few 2x4's and 2 sheets of plywood (so far) the rest of my lumber is scrounged from discarded pallet wood and pallet runners,,, I ripped them down to size on a table saw and they work just fine,,, and ya cant beat the price,,, Think a bit outside of the box and keep ya eyes open,, lots of good stuff being tossed away,,

Ditto on having the pleasure of meeting ya one of these days,,,
Good luck wid the job situation,,,, hopefully lots of things will get back to normal soon,,, :thumbsup:

chipper :picklejuice:
54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby doug hodder » Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:12 pm

Chip, I was planning on doing the flooring prior to the cabinet install so I could run it underneath everything. What's your plan? Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Chip » Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:42 pm

Doug, I am just running the finished flooring where exposed to visual inspection,,, ie,,,foot well, front area at table and just inside the area rear of the step well,,,, One reason is I dunno what kind of flooring I am gonna use yet,,, :lol: ,, and I didnt wanna put down a nice floor and then cover it up with bed, and cabinet,,,, seems like a lot do put flooring down first,,, but I am just gonna use covered up areas for storage ,, dont need to be purty and I save a pound or two ..

chipper
54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals