1st build, cargotear

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby H-Balm » Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:11 pm

Double doors.... my wife wants those!
H-Balm
Teardrop Master

Postby regis101 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:34 pm

Double, big , doors at that.

As a cargo trailer, the 4 x 8 is cool. If I was to want a sleeper, it'd have to be 5 wide. With the stuff to cover the four of us for a weekend outing, it fills up fast. The important thing is that the dog gets to now go with us instead of the $35/night kennel fee. Ouch. By the end of this season, it will have paid for itself in lieu of kennel fees.
Peace, Regis
Livermore, Ca
Working on Build #2
regis101
Teardrop Master

Postby 2bits » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:35 pm

Wow, Alot of times people ask me if I just haul stuff in mine, and this is the first one that I can recall that is used just for that purpose! You made it look good and take full advantage of all the space! Excellent job! Oh and it looks great behind the Van too!
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby regis101 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:43 pm

It gets packed, fer shure.

I'm now thinking about having a hitch welded onto the rear for a bike rack. The 2 x 2 x 1/8" angle iron frame seems a bit flimsy to support the steel needed for a decent hitch that can hold four bikes that weigh in at ~130 lbs. I did play with some 2 x 2 x 1/8" tube steel to beef up the two rear cross members but... I dunno.

May have to build a 5 wide with a lower ceiling height and use a top mounted rack.

Stop the madness.
Peace, Regis
Livermore, Ca
Working on Build #2
regis101
Teardrop Master

Postby regis101 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:21 pm

And here we are after a bit of downsizing. Looks like a do-over.
On to the next build.
Yes. I need therapy

Peace, Regis
Livermore, Ca
Working on Build #2
regis101
Teardrop Master

Postby meach4x4 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:40 pm

regis101 wrote:And here we are after a bit of downsizing. Looks like a do-over.
On to the next build.
Yes. I need therapy

What's the plan now? Why did you disassemble? I have a neighbor who decided to sell his 4x8 and build a new 5x10. He sold his 4x8 for more than the cost of materials for the 5x10 in a week!
meach4x4
Teardrop Master

Postby regis101 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:09 pm

No worries about the money. In my mind, I'm independently wealthy.

I couldn't get rid of the smell. I had a hard time mounting four bikes on, in, or around the trailer. Increasing total weight with add ons became an issue.
The hatch was useable but should have been built better.
It could have been built lighter even though I used 1/2" 5 ply from the big box store.

1/2 ply is ~50#
Used ~17# of paint. Used 12# of hardware. The 1 1/4 " receiver and needed steel for a rear bike rack was 20#. Bike rack for four is 20#

The new plan is to build a 4 x 8 x ~30" cargo box. The box will have a divider at the 6' 6" mark. This will leave an 18" deep rear box.
There will be a lid. It will be hinged at 6' 6" from the front of the box. There will be another 1' 6" hinged lid from the rear.

The rear 4' x 18" x 30" box portion will have shelving and be a rear galley of sorts. The front 6' 6" section will be the cargo area but with the hinged lid and some fabric/canvas I can also use it as a sleeper. Thinking of the kids on that one.

The other important dealing is that the four bikes will be mounted on top using Sagman style car roof top mounts. The portion of the bike mount that grabs the down tube is 3#. I'm saving ~25# there alone.

I will be better able to control tongue weight and have more cubic feet of storage capacity.

I also see a canoe and/or a kayak in the near future.

This next build will be more fitting in the off road or non-traditional forums.

I'm going for lightweight and strength. 2 x 2 stick framing with 1/8" door skin or ply for the walls. 3/8 ply for the floor. 2 x 2 framing with 1/4" ply for the top(s). I even entertained using interior hollow 30" doors for side walls. They are lightweight. But, will opt for stick framing to make side doors. blah, blah.

When I hit the Lottery, I'll pick up one of those '46 Kit replica's or I'll hit Gage up. Ooo la la

Here's a rough sketch. The graph paper is 1/4". The rear galley shlf will be 34" from the ground as per normal household dimensions. The bikes will mount to the front hinged lid. The top of the box will be ~46" from the ground. It is a good height so as to be able to lift the bikes up on there.

Peace, Regis
Livermore, Ca
Working on Build #2
regis101
Teardrop Master

Postby meach4x4 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:16 am

Cool! When you start the build, are you going to post it here? If somewhere else, how about posting a link the the other group, eh?

Gil
meach4x4
Teardrop Master

Previous

Return to Build Journals