Grizz-Pod Teardrop Trailer - New tow truck - 66 Chevy

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Grizz-Pod Teardrop Trailer - African Oddysey now started

Postby KCStudly » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:58 pm

Nice starting point. The instrument pod is not so bad and, as you say will do for now.

The radio hack is not near as bad as my '72 (I have another dash out of a '68 that I can either use to replace... different ignition switch and recess... or just splice in the radio recessed area... both are lots of work). Yours looks like you can dress the edge up a bit and keep the modern DIN opening, in due time.

Looks great in the garden, which also looks very nice. Must take a lot of time and dedication to keep up with it all and the hobbies.

I appreciate that you share so much, as it is always entertaining and a pleasure to keep up with your adventures. :thumbsup:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby grizz » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:37 pm

I have been looking for a Jerry can to use as a reserve to my fuel tank.....

Tonight I realized that I have the perfect jerry can, I bought it for about £5 at a boot fair last year, just coz I liked it.

Whatcha think ??

Now just need to find a decent steel trunk for the rear.
Greetings from England.

Rian.

Hoping to get it all done in time.
grizz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby grizz » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:40 pm

Got these in the post today from Barney, along with a January 2010 copy of a Hot Rod magazine with a pic of the truck at the 1066 get together being used as a stage for the drummer on the Memphis Flyers Rockabilly band, anyone tell me what they are for ? ;)

Then I pulled this cushion out of a cupboard.

Bought it in South Africa in April.

For the Non-Afrikaans speakers out there, Braaivleis means BBQ.

Years ago there was a Chevrolet advertisement that had the line Braavleis, Rugby, Sunny Skies and Chevrolet.

1974 Vintage advertising.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1wvQ7ERXhY

So this is for the truck and teardrop.

Looking forward to having the weekend to play with and get to know the truck a bit better.
Greetings from England.

Rian.

grizz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: Grizz-Pod Teardrop Trailer - New tow truck - 66 Chevy

Postby KCStudly » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:57 pm

Don't hold me to this Grizz, but I think those rubber parts might be door bumpers. If I'm correct they pop into holes in the door jamb area and keep the doors from closing to far/hard.

Yup, I nailed it. Item 10 or 11.
http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cbe/full.aspx?Page=10
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby grizz » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:38 pm

KCStudly wrote:Don't hold me to this Grizz, but I think those rubber parts might be door bumpers. If I'm correct they pop into holes in the door jamb area and keep the doors from closing to far/hard.

Yup, I nailed it. Item 10 or 11.
http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cbe/full.aspx?Page=10

LOL !!

Well done.

You win a virtual beer. :thumbsup:
Greetings from England.

Rian.

grizz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby KCStudly » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:54 pm

Glug, glug. :beer:
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby rebapuck » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:56 pm

I was going to guess the bumpers were for the cushioning the tailgate when lowered. They are similar to ones on my truck.
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby grizz » Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:26 pm

The Thames river behind the truck and tractor.

I will upload some more tomorrow, my pics are high resolution, so take a while to upload.

Final one, I was looking to take a pic that I can turn into a poster.

I enjoy black and white, as well as Sepia, so will try some more.

Greetings from England.

Rian.

grizz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby grizz » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:47 pm

In the ongoing introduction to the truck and all its woe's

Because I post on a variety of forums, from trains, planes and automobiles to teardrop trailers, so stuff may not be of interest to all, but I cannot write entries for every forum, so here goes.

Tonight I am posting the main dings and dents to the trim.

Right, some idiot, at some point had obviously locked themselves out of the truck, and then proceeded to try enter through the quarter light with the help of a crowbar. With the repaint 9 years ago the mirror was relocated and the holes filled with chewing gum, maybe.... The quarterlight rubber seals as rotten too, fortunately the front and rear screen seals are good.

Next up, passenger door flipped open by wind and put a crease all the way down, taking the shiny trim with it.

Not particularly repairable in my book.

Front spear passenger side.

Passenger side door and cab trim.

Fleetside rear passenger side. Inbetween the trim there used to a sticker and some idiot removed it with a screwdriver or knife, damaging the paint.
You can see how the paint has been damaged.

Driver side, some of the trim had been bent over and pushed back.

Front grille had been struck at some point over the second "E" and repaired with a ballpein hammer.
The grille is very scratched from some "attention" it had been given in the past.

There is rust on the trailing edges of the fenders that needs repairing and a variety of other bits to be fixed when the paint gets done.

More later.
Greetings from England.

Rian.

grizz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby grizz » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:11 pm

And a few more from the farm

Just goes to show, this is one photogenic truck.

Despite the flaws, it is going to be good when I am done with it.

Looking forward to it evolving with Nicola and I.
Greetings from England.

Rian.

grizz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:40 am

Hey, that truck is 50 years old, and was built to work (unlike the prissy trucks of today). She looks darned good for her age! Better than I do, that's for sure! :D
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.
1 John 4:9-11

My Teardrop build pictures
Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Postby grizz » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:18 pm

Cliffmeister2000 wrote:Hey, that truck is 50 years old, and was built to work (unlike the prissy trucks of today). She looks darned good for her age! Better than I do, that's for sure! :D

Hi Cliff, hope all is good with you guys.

I would say I am in there with you.

Short report tonight.

Spent the day reading clinical papers, summarizing them and did some other studying and online training.

Postman had dropped of a 8000 pound capacity towball today, it has a 32mm stem, so now I need to have the hole in the bumper enlarged to fit it.
Thanks to mate Tim for sending it.

I have also bought a pre-wired plug to fit on Saturday with Scott "Jabbo" doing all the actual work.

By 19.30 I had had dinner (thanks Nicola) and then sneaked out to the garage for some "Wax on, Wax off" action to help me unwind a bit.

Took the truck out and before I parked it, Mickey was there..... he loves the truck.

On the front bumper I used Wenol metal polish on the right, then mate Jon took a pic showing the left a bit dull.
This convinced me to take of the number plate to clean up properly at least once.

Left side not yet polished, it all came up really well, also did the front grille and rear bumper. Satisfied with the results of my efforts.

After this I took my time and polished up the Chrome smoothies..... thought they were clean, polish proved me wrong.

Next up I used Autoglym tyre/tire polish for the tyres.

Before tyre polish but after rims were done.

Couple of pics to show size perspective of the truck, in relation to my daily Audi A3 for those who are interested.

Next to Nicola's Peugeot 1007

Truck now ready for 4th of July tomorrow :beer:
Greetings from England.

Rian.

grizz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:41 pm

grizz wrote:Postman had dropped of a 8000 pound capacity towball today, it has a 32mm stem, so now I need to have the hole in the bumper enlarged to fit it.
Thanks to mate Tim for sending it.

That's cool! Just be careful, most bumpers are not rated at 8,000 lbs (although some are...)
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.
1 John 4:9-11

My Teardrop build pictures
Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Postby grizz » Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:08 am

After work yesterday I raced about and took the truck, with Mickey my neighbour down to a local industrial estate to see if we could get the hole for the towball enlarged.

I had spoken to an engineering shop already who said bring it in after work, but he insisted we go try an old friend he had not seen a few years.

Got to where Raj had his shop before ..... Nothing. Turns out he moved a few years ago to much bigger premises less than a kilometer away.

Got there and the big guy was not there but "the boys" were impressed by the truck and prepared to give it a go (This is now after hours and Raj allows them to earn "a drink" (English term for a few pounds for a small odd job off the books, a bit like a tip)

Out came the Mag drill and some clamps along with a bit of 10mm steel plate. The drill has a strong electro magnet that allows it to effectively clamp onto the job and work as a pillar drill. With Mickey applying the cutting compound we soon had a 40mm hole for the 32mm bolt to fit through, yes I know, but a couple of heavy duty washers will sort that out. Everything still fits correctly.

Many hands make light work.

At this point Raj came back from a job site into the shop and if Mickey was a puppy he would have peed all over Raj's feet. They obviously have good friendship that has stood the test of time.

I gave the main operator £20 for a "drink" which he was very happy with. I believe in fairness and this will allow me to go back another day with some niggly job.

Job done.

Greetings from England.

Rian.

grizz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby grizz » Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:46 pm

Well I had Scott "Jabbo" over here today, he got called out to work last night, so had a quick few hours sleep this morning and then came over by 13.00

Scott had wired up the Grizz-Pod Teardrop Trailer a few years ago for me, I had a regular light board which he then wired up to the Taxi cab lights I fitted to the rear.

When it cam to wiring the truck for Euro lighting, I contacted Scott to ask if he was up for a bit of abuse..... to which he thankfully agreed.

I had cut and broken some of the driveway this morning and mixed a batch of concrete to redo the bits I had removed, just wrapping up when he got here.

Soon we had the truck out, and this was the view.

I decided to mount the plug under the load body, behind the bumper for looks and also to keep it safely tucked out of harms way, so this as the result.

My mate Peter "Goose" with whom I traveled in Europe on our bikes last year and his wife came down for an evening BBQ and sleep over as they wanted to join us for bootfair in the morning.

We found via Vernier caliper that the US Spec 2" chromed towball is about 1/2mm bigger than the UK Spec 50mm towball.

So he suggested stripping back the chrome to get it to fit securely into the trailer hitch.

Some time spent in the woodwork shed, gently sanding the ball on my linisher left us with a perfect fitting union.

Of course we needed to get some photos.

Scott and his family had recently moved to a new house and behind the shed he found this......

Seems I have a spare wheel rim now. Just need to get a tyre onto it. Thanks Buddy.

Next up I will clean and refurbish the rim.

That's all for now folks.

Bootfair in the morning.
Greetings from England.

Rian.

grizz
1000 Club
1000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals