Grizz-Pod Teardrop Trailer - New tow truck - 66 Chevy

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Grizz-Pod Teardrop Trailer - New tow truck - 66 Chevy

Postby grizz » Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:02 am

Happy Belated New Year.

So mate Scot "Jabbo" popped in at about 11.45-ish last night.
Ostensibly to drop off two tyres that were previously fitted to two of the Radar wheels that were on my Teardrop trailer. I had sold him the set of four last year to fit to his wife's VW Beetle. But he wanted less than a 185 on the front.

So he came in and we sat chatting for a while, at which time Nicola came in from her evening out with friends.

Not a word said about the painted parts in the Green room.

It seems winter is here....

Saw gritters everywhere on the road today. Got home, planned to go work in the garage but the wind was pumping, and the temperature had dropped to a level where paint would not dry well.

So on to "Plan B"

Nicola was going out with friends for dinner.

And when the cat is away....... This mouse will play. As Paul NevEno says, the house is hers and the shop is mine.

So I brought in some bits to paint.

Job done, first coat on.

Little by little.

So this afternoon after spending the most of the day working at my desk at my hand over document..... I went to a not so local tyre fitment shop to get the tyres whipped onto the Chrome Smoothies I bought exactly a year ago.

Duely whipped on they proceeded to the balancing bay.

Balanced and ready to go home.

Then back home, in the kitchen.

I have to say, I am pleased to have them tyres up at last, and despite being a years worth of dusty, I like the look, once the smoothie hubcaps are on, they are rather neat.

Of course I have to mention that my truck had Chrome Smoothies on when I bought it, and these were meant to go with it.

Oooooopppps, I now have set of red Rallye wheels to be fitted when the time comes.

In the mean time, I need to remove the trailers hubs, have them converted from 4 stud to Chevy 5 stud and replace the wheel bearings as preventative maintenance.
Greetings from England.

Rian.

Hoping to get it all done in time.
grizz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby dmdc411 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:04 am

Wheels, painting carpartsinthe house! My wife would through a fit! Although 26 years of marriage, she's more understanding of getting things done in the winter. She did get me a garage heater 10 years ago for Christmas. That was after I rebuilt the motorcycle carbs at the kitchen table!!
dmdc411
Teardrop Master

Postby grizz » Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:51 pm

dmdc411 wrote:Wheels, painting carpartsinthe house! My wife would through a fit! Although 26 years of marriage, she's more understanding of getting things done in the winter. She did get me a garage heater 10 years ago for Christmas. That was after I rebuilt the motorcycle carbs at the kitchen table!!

My wife (her birthday tomorrow) had me bring in a small Honda motorcycle into the kitchen a few years ago as it was snowing and our garages are not insulated.

Two weeks ago she also asked if I wanted to run a load of nuts n bolts through the dishwasher.

Yup....... I am fortunate.

Another small job done today.

Been wanting to get the hubs off the Grizz Pod ever since selling the Radars and buying the Chrome Smoothies for it. Then of course I sold the Chrome Smoothies off the truck and bought the Rallye wheels and powder coated them very red. I guess the ideal would be to find another pair of Rally wheels in a narrow width, so that I can get a pair of 185/15 tyres on them.

So removed the hubs..

Next job is to find someone who can turn the 4 stud hubs into 5 stud units to fit the bolt pattern of the Smoothies and also machine the edge of the nipple on the hubs so the wheel centres fit, as they do not fit right now.
Also to figure which way to fix the wheels to the hubs.

Nothing is ever really easy is it?

After that I went up to the house to see Nicola who had just come back from seeing her kids for a couple of days.

Walking back to pack up and close shop, I took this shot in the dark.

Greetings from England.

Rian.

grizz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby KCStudly » Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:31 pm

Wow. I guess I missed the fact that you had striped the truck down to the bones for a complete restoration.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby grizz » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:55 pm

KCStudly wrote:Wow. I guess I missed the fact that you had striped the truck down to the bones for a complete restoration.

Hi KC

Here is the full build thread.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/show ... p?t=585901

It starts at the start but just skim through to get to December 2014
Greetings from England.

Rian.

grizz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby grizz » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:46 am

In other news, a friend came around to pick up the strip lights I had removed from the garage and saw the teardrop trailer hubs and a wheel in the garage. After a short discussion, he offered to machine the hub neck so the centre of the wheel can fit and then drill and tap the hubs to take the 5x5.5 Chevy bolt pattern wheels in exchange for the free lights and a BBQ in summer. Good deal in my book, and I get to have company.

Greetings from England.

Rian.

grizz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby grizz » Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:58 pm

Trailer hubs.....

Puddle weld in old wheel nuts in place after securing new threads with the new wheel bolts.

Then also cut off the tops to fill the original holes.

Refitted the hubs to the trailer and painted them a coat of red to cover the original burgundy.

And of course the chrome smoothies refitted.

Now I would love to find a set of narrow Rallyes to go with the set I got for the truck..... Typical.

Next up I swapped the whole garage around again and got the other side of the garage ready for tomorrow's engine dismantling.

Tonight, some television and a drink.

Tomorrow......

Fun.
Greetings from England.

Rian.

grizz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby grizz » Tue May 21, 2019 3:34 am

Most of you know Mickey next door to my place.

He and his wife were away for two weeks on a caravan holiday.

I looked after Wendy’s greenhouse and 100’s of seedlings and of course cut his grass as it goes mad.

Last night they got back and brought me an unnecessary thank you gift.

Firstly I thought, more clutter for my hoarders house.

But I love it behind this whisky bottle that was a gift a few years ago from a guy with the same nickname as Mickey “Skippy”

Life continues to be good.
Greetings from England.

Rian.

grizz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Previous

Return to Build Journals