Grizz-Pod Teardrop Trailer - New tow truck - 66 Chevy

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Grizz-Pod Teardrop Trailer - New tow truck - 66 Chevy

Postby grizz » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:23 am

So, just to put things into perspective.....

I got a cheap, damaged hard top, repaired the damage and attempted to respray it in a metalic gunmetal grey colour (In rattle can finish as the rust repair worked so well)

So after repair, primer and prep, I broke out the rattle cans..... FAIL !! (due to stiped narrow fanning)

Rubbed that back, bought proper spray paint, used my small ALDI compressor and gravity fed gun..... WIN !!!

Then back to Rattle can clear lacquer after two days...... OOOPPSS FAIL !!! (Again, stripes)

So one more trip to the paint suppliers and bought more of the grey, and a litre of clear lacquer (Total cost now nearing £100 where a body shop would have come in)

A few days of rain and drop in temperature this week, followed by intermittently clearing skies on Saturday morning.... I wet sanded the roof back again early Saturday, first coat down by 10.00 and a second coat by 11.00 followed by two coats of clear by 16.00 and back on the car by 17.00

I will wait a few weeks for the paint to harden and cure, then hit it with some serious hand buffing to deepen the gloss.

Nicola had been on Ebay again recently and added a dead Kitty sticker to make the car go faster....

Lastly, I guess I can add that today was Tom, Nicola's baby's 18th birthday.

Typical teenager, he did not want to get up for breakfast, but eventually chose McDonalds.

When we got back he went into his grotto and into hibernation for another 3 hours..... KIDS ?? !!

Greetings from England.

Rian.

Hoping to get it all done in time.
grizz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby grizz » Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:42 pm

Been a while, but the MX5 kept me busy when I did have free time after work and with the nights drawing in and day starting later, it just seems there is less light to work by.

Which brings me to this lot below.....

About 7 months ago I got a PM via an American Van site offering me some 6 foot strip lights from a school, by a retired school teacher who is into cars, and campers.

So with a £40 courier cost to deliver the 10 lights from the middle of nowhere in Wales, they were delivered in April while I was in Africa on the Bike tour of a lifetime with my brother.

When I came back from Africa, life in general, a new contract job and an MX5/Miata all got in the way of fitting the lights to the garage, where I actually only have two 4 foot lights and a variety of odd lights plonked about the rafters.

So now we have winter, early darkness coming in, and with the Mazda finished, I can get back onto the truck.
Plans for the truck over winter includes preparing the bodywork for fresh paint, making up the load body floor with the oak strips I rescued and still have to clean up and prepare for fitting.

So today I started by pushing out the truck which has been stood the last month or so, as I did not need to use it and measuring and planning where the lights will be going.
I plan on fitting four strip lights per side of the garage, making for 8 of them on a 10X10 meter garage, should be reasonably light along with the white I painted the walls earlier this year.

First job was to cut some sections of wood that will be screwed into the sides of the rafters so that I can fit the lights behind and under my numberplate collection without losing any of the brilliance.

Typically though, the wind and pouring rain broke up my fun after cutting the wood to size, so I started up and reversed the truck.

When I started the truck there was some smoke.... oooppss.

I also noted that there was a small puddle of oil on the trucks dribble spot. In the past it used to drop a few drops of oil per week after a good run..... this was not good for me.

So the plan is to have the engine, and mechanics seen to by a proper American V8 mechanic (cue cash register draining noises) after which I will start the body work. (Ohh, and no, I will not be attempting the engine work, I suspect valve stem seals, possibly rings and header gaskets)

Anyone know a decent, reliable, affordable V8 mechanic ??

PM me please.
Greetings from England.

Rian.

grizz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby rebapuck » Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:30 pm

Why was masking so important on the steering wheel? Will Danish Oil hurt the metal spokes?

When I paint, I always get overspray. I hope you have covered enough to not to show on that lovely brick drive.

That cash draining noise is...cha-ching!
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby Corwin C » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:39 pm

Those trucks can leak from a whole lot of places ... I wouldn't assume the worst right off the bat. If the smoke is from the tailpipe, it may be valve guides or rings. However, that doesn't explain the puddle. And honestly, at its age, it is not unusual for a little smoke after setting for a long time. If the smoke is from under the hood it may be as simple as a valve cover gasket leaking onto a manifold (something that you're more than capable of handling.) That would explain both the puddle and the smoke. A careful look from all sides, underneath, and taking note of exactly where the drip is coming from will do much to diagnose the issue.

In reality, those engines are a relative pleasure to work on. Textbook simple compared to what someone would go out and buy today. In your situation, finding parts in UK will be the challenge.
Corwin
Image Image Image
If I am unwilling to stand up straight before the world and admit what I have accomplished during the day, without excuses, in complete and honest detail, then I can do better ...
and no one should be expected to accept anything less.
-- myself
Corwin C
500 Club

Postby KCStudly » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:15 pm

If unsure where the leak is coming from, a good dose of engine degreaser and a pressure washer will clean things up so it is easier to spot the leak(s). Do not assume that it is a rear main seal if the drip is coming from the back of the engine; those SBC's can leak out of the distributor shaft opening in the manifold and run down the back, too, especially if you have reset the timing recently.

Valve covers are the most common though.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby High Desert » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:14 pm

yup, what Corwin & KC said. Several spots a SB can leak like that. Could even be as simple as the valve cover or pan bolts have loosened a bit through the heat cycles. Seen that move than once. Fear not amigo, it's a Chevy and was meant to have hands laid upon it at intervals, then it will soldier on like the legend it is. ;)
Shaun

"it's not the years honey, it's the mileage"
High Desert
Platinum Donating Member

Postby grizz » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:44 am

Thanks for the replies guys.

When the rain stops and I can play outside I will get on with cleaning the engine etc, in the mean time:

Been trying to get this job done for some time.

Lights in the garage for when I start doing the body prep on the truck over winter.

Up to now I had two 4 foot strip lights, but early this year, Euan "Moosevan" sent me 10 used 6 footers from a school that he had renovated. So now I have been getting on with that.

I have added some strips of wood to widen the rafters and wired them in today, thanks as so many times to Mickey from next door for giving an extra hand and keeping me company.

Result down the one side, the two short lights will be removed and fitted elsewhere.

I am also fitting four 6 footers down the other side.

Greetings from England.

Rian.

grizz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby grizz » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:37 am

Well, last night I wired up and finished the second row of strip lights, looks brilliant in there now.

I decided after seeing the difference in whiteness to throw out all the yellowed diffusers, unless there is a really valid reason to keep them, I think distract from the brightness of the lights.

Now I have decent lights in the garage, there is less excuses and reasons not to work on anything over winter.
Greetings from England.

Rian.

grizz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby KCStudly » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:02 pm

Diffusers are mainly intended to make the lamps less harsh to look at, and to a lesser degree to provide a little more protection from incidental contact.

There are clear plastic sleeves that are available to guard against the later.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby grizz » Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:27 am

KCStudly wrote:Diffusers are mainly intended to make the lamps less harsh to look at, and to a lesser degree to provide a little more protection from incidental contact.

There are clear plastic sleeves that are available to guard against the later.

Thanks for that.
I guess I am going to go without the diffusers as the light is a lot brighter.

In other news.

Looking the opposite way at the "electrics work bench" some of my bits and a 1960 plate with a bit of wear, thanks Don.

Greetings from England.

Rian.

grizz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby grizz » Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:23 pm

Been out all day in Canterbury with Nicola, doing a bit of romantic reconnecting, after I asked her out on a date this morning. (Nice to date your wife from time to time) We ate too much bad food, had a McDonalds coffee and late afternoon a light lunch of Baguette with Boiled egg, mayo and loads of smoked bacon. We also bought some bargains through the day and held hands while shopping...... Yup, it's nice.

Mickey next door just came knocking on our front door, pretty pissed..... (though he would totally deny it, I still love him to bits)
Just in from a job he did in London today flooring an upmarket office and reception area in high traffic flooring. He managed to convince the project lead that he needed some of the flooring for my truck, as an alternative to the oak strips I still need to create out of the white oak skirting boards he brought home from another office refurbishment job a while back.
I was looking at this old oak flooring a while ago but decided it was way too pricey.

Got to love a bit of free stuff.

So tomorrow when he is back to normal, he will unload the van and bring it around.

Nicola's black iPhone just added for perspective.

Greetings from England.

Rian.

grizz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby grizz » Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:28 pm

Not much to report but nice to report.

Mate Martin and his wife Amanda are just back from the USA and he brought loads of spares back in his baggage.

I popped over today after taking a motorbike up to Worcestershire at 05.45 and being back in Maidstone by 12.30

So once the dogs had settled we started to go through all his treasures, and they are impressive..... from a full new wiring loom to disc brake conversion and power steering, the man has it.

I also got lucky, and a great surprise it was.

I am now one of the Walmart Family.... with a cool T-Shit in size XXL

An also added was a parking reserved sign for the garage ...... Thanks mate !!

Looking forward to seeing Martin's truck develop over the next few years.
Greetings from England.

Rian.

grizz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby grizz » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:35 pm

Yesterday I splurged out on an early Christmas prezzie for Nicola. She is always so good at bargain hunting and spending pennies, not pounds, so when she mentioned that she really wanted a Radley Messenger bag, but could not justify it, I told her to just get the bag...... she still searched the web, Ebay etc to find the best price.

[img src="http://www.radleycollector.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/radley-signature-away-day1.jpg" alt=" "]

[img src="http://icemaidencakes.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/Radley-Bag-Cake-Detail.jpg" alt=" "]

In the end we went to Blue Water, to the Radley shop and got her a different over the shoulder bag to what she had planned, but it does not come with the Radley dog tassle (Your girls, wives n women will know) so I decided that I would make her one in wood.

One very happy woman.

Started by Googling the shape of the dog and drawing one on paper...... then cutting it out with scissors.

Next up, found some wood, cut a sliver off it.

Followed by copying the design onto the wood.

Then onto the bandsaw, and again I realized, wood is unforgiving, with metal you can weld in some metal, with wood, if it is gone, then its gone.

Cut out the shape.

One dog cut out..... next up, hand sand and shaping.

Lastly a leash and collar made up from an old neclace out of my spares box.

I guess the most important thing to mention is that Nicola called me a "Clever Bear"

Looking forward to winter kicking in so that I can start working the wood again.
Greetings from England.

Rian.

grizz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby grizz » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:48 pm

About 6 months ago I sent one of my number plate trading buddies, Herb, on Garagejournal.com a parcel with some random stuff including some number plates I thought he may like.
After he got the parcel and messaged me it was obvious he did like the stuff I had sent.

This week I got in from work and found a parcel from Kansas......

Opened it and was blown away by the contents.

Herb had collected very specific things for me over the last six months.

Firstly, a 1:24 model of my Chevy in red, as a recovery/wrecker with a Corvette behind it.

Just this week I had forwarded an Ebay Germany link to Nicola of a 1:24 model of a C10 Chevy in the hope that the hint would get me one for Christmas.

The other things in the parcel including a used US Army number plate...... perfect for me as I am trying to specialize in what I collect.

Thanks a mil Herb !!!

Greetings from England.

Rian.

grizz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby dmdc411 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:19 am

You have Chevy trucks in the UK?! Pardon my sheltered life, but I love your truck! I had a hard time 25 years ago finding parts for mine! I couldn't imagine looking in a different country for stuff! I suppose E-bay works for that? I did finally give up and sold it to a friend who got it right, but lost it to some thief! Hasn't been seen since!
dmdc411
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals